Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Andy wrote:
    I suspect I may be wasting my time answering your question.

That depends entirely on how complex FIFA is. I want to learn it, but only so I can explain to somebody else how to play in under a minute. Without that, it's essentially pointless.

I shall now make a cup of tea and, after checking out my new Pro Controller, go though what you've said with the game running.
  • I feel like FIFA is a bit like Street Fighter.
    People have been playing it for donkey's years and the nuance has been built up game after game.

It's a really high barrier to entry if you are new to it and an adult.

Main difference is FIFA has always been casual so it's hard to accept if you are a gamer.

(please excuse the words casual and gamer, you all know what I mean)
  • I should just get that Sensi reboot, shouldn't I?
  • Yeah man, shoot from the corner of the box.
  • Mother fucker, there's not even mention of whether the Switch version is still coming, let alone when it'll be out.
  • AJ wrote:
    I want to learn it, but only so I can explain to somebody else how to play in under a minute.

Move with the left stick. Pass with B, lob with Y, through ball with X, shoot with A.

In fact, you can make it even more simple. Before a match, when selecting sides, pull the triggers to find ‘two button’ mode.
  • [quote="Andy"You’re controlling the player who has the icon over them. I’m not sure how much more obvious you can get.[/quote]

Nobody had an icon over them. Guess it must be buggy as well as lacking any kind of consideration for beginners.

Across from that, you’ll find ‘Gameplay Controls’, which tells you every button you need. It’s broken down into the basics you need to know to get going, and more advanced things you can learn later. If you go into ‘Skill Games’, that walks you through most of it.

Okay, I'll let the poorly designated controls slide, gonna give the stupidly named walk through a go.
  • AJ wrote:
    Nobody had an icon over them. Guess it must be buggy as well as lacking any kind of consideration for beginners.

In the twenty years I’ve been playing FIFA, I’ve never experienced this. Is this on Switch? Which game mode are you playing?
  • Switch, yeah. It was whatever the "play a game now" option was.

I've also realised that the controls may not be poorly designated if you understand football terminology properly.

Straight As on the tutorial, so far.
  • If you had just started it up, that would be a one-off match. If you have the first kick-off, one of the players standing by the ball will have a marker over his head. If you don’t, then a player standing right outside the centre circle will have a marker over their head.

The default setting is for the game to automatically switch control to the player nearest the ball. I prefer to switch this to manual, so that pressing the L shoulder button selects the player nearest the ball.
  • I'm definitely getting the hang of things now and can definitely see a pretty fucking decent game behind the nightmare of a front-end. It's also a lot better now I've figured out how to turn the menu music off.

Trouble is, I think maybe one of my friends has played FIFA in the last decade or so and this is way too complex to be played properly in a casual manner. I'm worried that once I've got enough of a hang of it to explain to others how to play, I'll be too competent at it for a match with a beginner to be any fun for either of us and I'm not sure there's anyone I game with regularly that's going to be interested in getting up to speed.

I'm actually really disappointed because, mechanically, it seems like something I could properly enjoy if I was playing against someone, but I reckon almost all the people I could play with regularly are just going to suggest we switch to Mario Kart after the first match if they can't instantly click with it. Did not expect to be this bummed about it.
  • Did you pick a side for that first match AJ? Or were you just watching two comp. teams playing and trying to figure out which one you were controlling?? :)
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • That is entirely possible, given the quality of the UI.
  • You're throwing away a 7 year old sofa, and boy, has it seen some good times. 

Do you turn it over and cut into its insides, searching for lost treasures, before getting rid of it? if yes, what do you expect or hope to find?
  • Yes, I'd hope to find Micro Machines or, at a push, Hot Wheels.
  • When I was worried about using FIFA in a pick up and play manner, how come nobody mentioned there's a two button control method? That shit simplifies things no end.

Think I've just about got the hang of playing normally, at least for the basics. The game even classified me as amateur, rather than beginner.
  • Yeah Andy, why didn't you mention that?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    FFS Adam.
  • I'm sure somebody else here must have played it. I mean, it's considered the best football game at the moment, isn't it?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No.
  • Then what is? I thought Pro Evo had dropped the ball this gen.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Thought it was the opposite. Might be wrong.
  • Rocket League.

Good point, but it goes split screen for multiplayer, which is a little bit crap when you've only got a six inch screen.

Kow wrote:
    Thought it was the opposite. Might be wrong.

It's entirely possible I'm thinking about last gen; I often forget to keep up with that kind of thing.
  • Look up the page, AJ, I did mention it. I would point out, though, that most people from this forum who play football games will have played FIFA or PES in the last twenty years, are familiar with the controls, and would have no need to look for or be aware of two-button controls.

Anyone familiar with sports games knows about selecting a side. I may be wrong, but I’m sure that trying to proceed without selecting a side brings up a warning prompt.

Is there a chance that your frustration is leading to you not properly reading screens and the information presented?
  • Also, your questions are quite open. As you’re seeing, there’s a fair bit of depth to the advanced controls. Were I to ask, “How do you play Destiny?” I’d expect similar silence. Where to begin? I wasn’t sure if “left stick to move, buttons to kick,” was going to be genuinely useful or a bit patronising. I also don’t know how familiar you are with football. If you have no knowledge, it’s a daunting question to answer.
  • You did mention the two button controls and I missed it, my apologies.

The frustration was partially from the tutorial being labelled badly, which you directed me to, and partly from managing to mess things up when starting a game initially. Playing today, with the trainer on, things went much better. Though I still forget I'm playing a Nintendo system and press the wrong buttons.

When I asked the question, I was after a buttons overview, without all the technical terms that the options screen shows; I literally had no idea what I was doing and should have explained that. To be honest, I was in a mood because the whole EA-ness and lack of concern for beginners had annoyed me, but what you provided was perfect, thank you.
  • Back to the fort for tea and medals.
  • Because I have to mention it: the fact you need to close five separate pop-ups about having no Internet connection, on a fucking portable console, is goddamn retarded.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Hodge360 wrote:
    Or were you just watching two comp. teams playing and trying to figure out which one you were controlling?? :)

We've all been there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!