Ask the Bear & Badger
  • In my current role at work, the most common application I use is a database, with a browser-based UI. The organisation uses Internet Explorer, and I can’t install any alternative, so that’s not going to be the answer to my question.

We recently had a massive update of our computers and network. We are now using Internet Explorer version 11.

The UI for our app uses a lot of drop-down boxes for selecting various preset values. The form I complete most often has somewhere in the region of twenty of them.

Since the upgrade, we’re all experiencing an issue where, when you click on a drop-down, it briefly expands, then after a brief pause (but too quickly to select anything) it retracts again. Clicking on it a second time opens it, and you can select your value. Double clicking doesn’t work, so for every drop-down it’s a process of click, pause, click again, select, continue. It got tired mid way through the first form on the first day.

I’ve tried looking in options, and nothing seems obvious. Is this a common issue, and does anyone know of a fix? If it’s unique to our app, it’ll never get fixed.

(As an aside, I also spend a lot of time navigating our folder structures, and I see Microsoft have turned Windows Explorer to absolute shit, too. What an absolute fucking mess.)
  • Can you enable compatibility mode for the app?
  • Dunno. Possibly. I’ll investigate tomorrow.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Compatibility mode seems to be the way to begin with.

Longer term you probably need to get the app supplier/dev to update for a modern browser.

Asking for something to work in IE11 isn't unreasonable.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    The organisation uses Internet Explorer, and I can’t install any alternative

Quit.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    The organisation uses Internet Explorer, and I can’t install any alternative
    Quit.
    Similar in my place but you can make a business request for Chrome . Has the issue been highlighted with IT?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Can you tab to the drop down and use the down arrow to open it?
  • In the middle of bedtime routine so have to be brief but if it's a browser based interface go to it then tools/settings and check compatibility mode for this site, or similar.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve just realised that you updated to IE11.

Christ.
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Similar in my place but you can make a business request for Chrome . Has the issue been highlighted with IT?
    We used to have that possibility too, but that seems to have been taken away now that it’s deemed to no longer be required. Highlighting to IT will be a nightmare. Force IT will call it a local issue, because they’ve handled the update, local IT will call it a force issue, because they don’t have responsibility for the database. The database is UK-wide, physically based in England, and shared with multiple agencies, so requesting that it gets updated is a nightmare for small-fry end-users like me. I generally delay reporting anything to IT until I can’t see any other option. They’re even more overworked and understaffed than us, and some of the folk who are left seem to know less than me, and my knowledge has massively dropped off since I left the field.

WorKid wrote:
    Can you tab to the drop down and use the down arrow to open it?
    Yes, and I’m doing that some of the time, but given that not all the drop-downs are pertinent all of the time, that gets clunky.

Yossarian wrote:
    I’ve just realised that you updated to IE11. Christ.
    We were on 8. I think. 8 was the massive security risk, wasn’t it? Whichever one was the massive security risk, we were on until a week and a half ago.

I’ll have a look into compatibility mode, it’s not something I’ve ever needed before, but it sounds a reasonable possibility. Cheers Unlikely / Davy.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They’re all a massive security risk except for 11 which will become a security risk at some point in the not-too-distant, MS have abandoned it apart from security updates, not sure how long they’ll keep those up.
  • They'll keep them up for as long as they have enough corporate customers using it to make it financially viable. MS like supporting old shit a lot more than most.

Anyway, what I'm here for is to ask if anyone who's got Snake Pass on a platform other than Switch can tell me if it utilises the analogue triggers to adjust speed/grip accordingly, or i it's just an on/off toggle. So, does it?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I'm delivering a lesson to the S6 pupils tomorrow on budgeting and living away from home etc as they go to uni. As part of it I want to do a "10 basic recipes you should know" that involve fairly cheap things that can be made in bulk, and have at least two-three veggie / vegan options.

Anyone have any staples that they used? I always remember oznos advice to me in the dregs of poverty at the age of 20 -

Can of tomatoes
    Onion
    Garlic
    Herbs de Provence
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yer basic risotto plus w/e.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Beans on toast.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Chickpea curry, good fat and protein profile
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Omelette (not that this can be kept, but still) and pesto.

Knowing the 4 basic sauces opens up a huge range of possibilities too.
  • Since mince is a cheap meat option, a basic spag bol or chilli.

Lentil/bean based stews. (e.g. green lentils, onions, garlic, cubed potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, chillis, stock, turmeric, cumin)

A basic chicken casserole made with thighs. (onions, leeks, celery, mushrooms, carrots, peppers, chopped tomatoes, stock, bay leaf, bit of soy sauce; add skinless chicken, simmer for an hour, add some tinned beans halfway through). 

Edit: Pasta bake with tuna, or really anything tuna based, since it's cheap.

All good for bulk cooking.

Plus how to cook jacket potatoes (+ suggestions for fillings, including leftovers of above), pasta and rice (if you're going really basic).
  • Or, when there's not much in the fridge, a fried egg and waffle sandwich.
  • Mince and tomato sauce does allow a fair few dishes.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    So I'm delivering a lesson to the S6 pupils tomorrow on budgeting and living away from home etc as they go to uni. As part of it I want to do a "10 basic recipes you should know" that involve fairly cheap things that can be made in bulk, and have at least two-three veggie / vegan options.

Anyone have any staples that they used? I always remember oznos advice to me in the dregs of poverty at the age of 20 -

Can of tomatoes
    Onion
    Garlic
    Herbs de Provence

Could probably check Jack Monroe’s blog (https://cookingonabootstrap.com/) for cheap staples. Obviously, the aim and necessity of the blog was to do with poverty, which hopefully your students don’t have to deal with. But as a resource for cheap, healthy meals it’s invaluable and worth checking - off the top of my head she uses a lot of beans and pulses, tomatoes etc.
  • White lightning and hash.
  • Also, learn to homebrew.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I always made fried rice when I was penniless. A few cheap veg - carrots and onions at least, cheap rice and some soy sauce. A meal fit for a king. Who's been put in a dungeon.
  • Yeah, a simple stir fry is a good option. Load of veg (and bits of chicken or strips of beef if you want), garlic, ginger, soy sauce with some noodles or rice.
  • Top student tip: Get a part-time job somewhere that makes/sells food. A sandwich shop is ideal. Then you can take home free food at the close of the day.

Even topper student tip: Share a flat with someone who does that, so you get some of the free food without doing the job.
  • SG's Ragu is a KING'S MEAL that'll last 2,3 portions.
  • Guy I knew at Uni used to make cheese soup.  Recipe:  Grate some cheese into a bowl of water.  Microwave until warm.
  • Worst thing I'd eat was cheesy mash with lardons. God tier trash food, that is.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Cheesy peasy pasta. Boil pasta, chuck in some frozen peas a couple of minutes before the pasta is finished, drain, chuck it back in the pot, grate a ton of cheddar over the top, heat up just enough for all the cheese to melt. Delicious.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!