Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Is there any vba going on in the background?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Is there any vba going on in the background?

Probably; how would I check??
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There's like a DB Connection thing somewhere isn't there? God so long since I've used it tho. Literally my first ever coding job back in the 90s lol.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    There's like a DB Connection thing somewhere isn't there? God so long since I've used it tho. Literally my first ever coding job back in the 90s lol.

I can get it to pop up a dialog where it tells me what the name of the SQL DB it's looking for is, but it's literally in the format XYZABCSQL01; I've got no idea how to tell where that is?  I don't seem to have any entries in the ODBC data sources thing I found in control panel that refer to SQL servers.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:

Alt+f11.
  • I'll get this open tomorrow and try that, see if I can make any sense of it.
  • This sounds uncannily like the one I had to deal with.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There will be a connect string somewhere in the Access DB. There may be an external data tab when you open Access?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    Alt+f11.

Oh heck, doing that opened about 100 windows, including some with direct references to the C:\ drive of one particular guy and things like that.  Urgh.
  • davyK wrote:
    There will be a connect string somewhere in the Access DB. There may be an external data tab when you open Access?

Going to the External Data tab in the ribbon and selecting Linked Table Manager gives me a tiny clue; just that there's an SQL data source, but it just gives me SERVER=XYZABCSQL01 again, with no info of where the heck that lives.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Could that be some Windows SQL Server identifier? Any set of those on the network? (I'm totes guessing tho.)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That's the name of the SQL Server instance, it sounds like it expects that to be running on your local machine (or the machine/cluster you're working on if remote). Download (or open) SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) and it should be able to connect to the same server instance, and under that there will be the databases and then the tables

edit: though there's a part of my brain nagging me that all Access data structures are stored in a simplified SQL db, so all relevant data might still be included in whatever info you have there already. Do any of the backup files have a file extension of .mdf or .ldf as they'll be the SQL backup files?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • No, no extensions like that.  It looks like it's definitely linking to an SQL Server instance and pulling data on start, but I don't have permission to access that; nor do I understand where that instance is actually running.  I think I might have to just rely on IT initially...
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I don't have any experince with MS Access but I'm a database administrator, primarily on SQL Server.  Have you found any information about a connection string?

Access will just connect to SQL via the ODBC driver and a connection string. In my IIS website experience there's usually a config file in the website folder structure that points to the location of the connection strings and then the string itself will look something like this.  If you're lucky it won't be encrypyted.

<add name="ConnectionStringName" connectionString="data source=SERVER_NAME;database=DATABASE_NAME;Integrated Security=SSPI;persist security info=True;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

What you can see could potentially be an alias, which would also show as the data source in the string.  Could be worth checking cliconfg on the server hosting things for alias information.

But like I said, I don't have any Access experience.

Oh also can you see an application called SQL Server Configuration Manager?  That will give you info on whether the SQL instance is named or default.  You can also see Aliases here.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    For my own question, I need some electrical assistance.

I'm setting up a Nest Hello doorbell and have bought a new chime, transformer, housing for the transformer, and bell cable.

How do I get the bell cable through the wall?  Can I just attach it to the existing bell cable and pull that out the other end?  What happens if it comes loose in the middle?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    XYZABCSQL01

That will be the name of the server hosting the sqlserver service.

@Subbax gave an example of a typical ODBC connection string which will have that server name substituted into the SERVER_NAME placeholder.

You need access to that server and you might even need your credentials to be changed to have access to it if general access to it is not granted to your active directory security group.

It may be an alias as Subbax says too. Your ICT admins will know that.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Yeah, I think it's an alias.  If not then I'm pretty sure it'd need the full network name, which would be something like LT123456/SQL16.  That's my own local DB, for example.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Wild qu. We haven't had a home phone plugged in for a year despite having one. Where's the cheapest goodest phone to sort us out, given we have baby coming.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Subbax wrote:
    For my own question, I need some electrical assistance. I'm setting up a Nest Hello doorbell and have bought a new chime, transformer, housing for the transformer, and bell cable. How do I get the bell cable through the wall?  Can I just attach it to the existing bell cable and pull that out the other end?  What happens if it comes loose in the middle?

Cable that thin you can likely just push it and be fine, however if you tie a knot in the end of it so it fits quite snug in the hole then use a hoover to pull it through the tunnel
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    It goes in at the top of the wall and comes out further down though. I'll try using the existing bell wire to start with.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    ahh, I'm with you, in which case cut the existing cable and hitch it to new cable, then pull existing cable out the other side. I recall doing the hoover thing on a larger scale with carrier bags, but yeah if it's in a full cavity then it could be anywhere and the hoover won;t do shit
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Subbax wrote:
    It goes in at the top of the wall and comes out further down though. I'll try using the existing bell wire to start with.

I've got a Ring Video doorbell. I just connected it to the original doorbell's wires and it works fine.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    5b3ce73545fb0a890fde48e56d134308.jpg
    Not my i,age, but the same deal as my set up.  The white cables are the ones that connected to the original doorbell, I just used the grey splicing cap thingamebobs to connect to the Rimg doorbell and it works fine.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    My question time - Why is meta used by gamers to mean "the optimum strategy/load-out/tactics"?  I've only heard it recently, but I don't get the connection.
  • Most Effective Tactic Available IIRC.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ah, I didn't realise it was an acronym. Thanks
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Wild qu. We haven't had a home phone plugged in for a year despite having one. Where's the cheapest goodest phone to sort us out, given we have baby coming.
    Just go and pick up a cheap cordless one from Tesco.  As long as it dials out and people can call in there isn't much else you need in a home phone nowadays.
  • Most Effective Tactic Available IIRC.

Pretty sure thats a backronym.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Most Effective Tactic Available IIRC.

Pretty sure thats a backronym.
    Damn, back to square one.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Subbax wrote:
    Yeah, I think it's an alias.  If not then I'm pretty sure it'd need the full network name, which would be something like LT123456/SQL16.  That's my own local DB, for example.

Yup.  And if it was linked to sqlserver installed on the PC you would probably just have "localhost" in the connect string.  unless you have a local symbol for that of course..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!