regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah. Absolutely gutted because we had thought it was perfect for retro gaming. And it was a more recent crt too - had an inbuilt dvd player.

Praying for a Lazarus this afternoon.
  • Stranger things have happened, but I suspect it's game over for that one.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    AYe....doesn't sound good.

I presume you have tried pressing menu buttons etc to see if anything comes up? If the source had been changed you may not get anything on screen.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, there's no remote so tried the channel buttons
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    tried to fire it up again and just rogue crackles.

Fucking heartbroken.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    :-( could be with trying an electrician or something, if it might just be one part that's bust??
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Separate question: do we have like a broadband thread? Or more specifically, anyone got FTTP advice, eg good providers etc, what sites I might get, etc? (I'm London based fwiw...)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yeah, there's no remote so tried the channel buttons

No other buttons on it? Check for a hidden panel.  Surprised if there isn't a source button unless it's really old.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Its done sadly. Got the rip this morning.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Induction vs Inducement (@tinrobot)

My wife is due to be induced on Tuesday. She keeps referring to it as an induction. That sounds wrong to me, I think it should be referred to as an inducement. This is obviously incredibly important (but only if I am right) so any help from the B&B grammer/English experts would be appreciated.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You'll need special implements for an induction birth, normal ones won't work.
  • Induction sounds like she is going to a conference centre to give birth.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Masonic baby.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Finger crossing here
  • Induction vs Inducement (@tinrobot) My wife is due to be induced on Tuesday. She keeps referring to it as an induction. That sounds wrong to me, I think it should be referred to as an inducement. This is obviously incredibly important (but only if I am right) so any help from the B&B grammer/English experts would be appreciated.

Whilst we would say that labour is induced, the process is still described as an induction. I agree "inducement" would make grammatical sense, but, well, that's obstetricians for you.

I hope all goes well on Tuesday - if not sooner.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They're very obstrinate.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is there any way to tell if a wall socket is earthed, without some special device?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nah. You can take the socket off and have a look, but it doesn't really prove anything. It might look the part but have a break somewhere down the line. Whatever you do, don't piss about with the juice on
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Cheers. I wouldn't dare take anything electric apart.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    Induction vs Inducement (@tinrobot) My wife is due to be induced on Tuesday. She keeps referring to it as an induction. That sounds wrong to me, I think it should be referred to as an inducement. This is obviously incredibly important (but only if I am right) so any help from the B&B grammer/English experts would be appreciated.

Whilst we would say that labour is induced, the process is still described as an induction. I agree "inducement" would make grammatical sense, but, well, that's obstetricians for you.

I hope all goes well on Tuesday - if not sooner.

Thanks for the clarification Tin, it's not important now though, the little monkey decided he didn't want to wait after all.
  • Congrats!?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, I'll post an update in the appropriate thread.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The whisky thread?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Considering your bartending skills that thread is never appropriate for you.
  • I'm in the process of setting up a website and starting to work as a general freelance writer for hire. Even though I don't live in the UK, and likely won't for a while, I was wondering whether it would make sense to register as a business there, just to make it look official for potential clients, and have proper accounts.

I'm probably going to be moving around in the next few years (if Covid ever gets sorted) and there's not much point trying to do anything official in N Cyprus, so it seems to be the only country that would make sense as a base, even though I'm rarely there. It's going to be small earner, so I guess I won't be paying much tax, if any.

Does this make sense at all? Is it worth it? Is it even possible if you don't live in the country (I do have an address I can use, but don't want to lie about living there)?

I'll do some research myself of course, but thought it might make sense to start here.
  • Starting a ltd company in the UK is ludicrously easy and cheap, and as long as you have a British bank account (preferably a business one), which means you must have a UK address, I'd recommend that. You don't have to live in the registered address.

As a ltd company there are accountancy things you need to be aware of: corporation tax on profits, expenses, how dividends work etc. It's not astrophysics but if you have any accountancy friends they could help with advice. There are only guides, in fact it's one of the few things the .gov website does well:

https://www.gov.uk/set-up-limited-company good starting point, covers overseas business, tax, classification etc
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Funk has covered off most of the company stuff. Little tips would be:

Don’t buy stuff you want to keep personally, on the company (I have friends who buy consoles and TV’s on the company as they can save a bit of money, but you don’t technically own it and if there was ever an issue you’d lose whatever was bought through the company). 

Get some basic accounting software once you get going, I use FreeAgent, mainly because it connects straight to my business bank account through a feed. That means I don’t have to worry about filing manually any income or expenses, I just have to tie it up in the software. Works really well and is a time saver.

Do look at home office tax breaks you can get, it’s not a lot, but it all adds up. You can claim a percentage of rent, utilities and phone etc.

Once you get going and if you start to get bigger clients, they may want business insurance, but it’s fairly cheap, just another cost to consider, think I used to pay £20 a month for about $3m liability.

Look for free business banking deals, preferably for more than a year.

I’d definitely recommend an accountant once you start to earn regularly, they are worth their money, use takes away a lot of pain, expect to pay around £1,000 a year for them to handle all your tax stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Would you not be better trying to set it up in Cyprus? I'm sure things like accountants and day to day expenses would be cheaper there, and easier to deal with if there's a problem, being close at hand. Most businesses these days seem to register wherever the benefits are best.
  • OK. This is all great. Thanks.

How does tax work with your own business BTW? I mean, do you pay yourself a wage that's taxed as income tax? Or does everything you take in (minus expenses) count as profit? And how his profit taxed compared to income?

Apologies if these are stupid questions - you can tell I know nothing. I just wanted some basics before digging deeper.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!