Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Kow wrote:
    Would you not be better trying to set it up in Cyprus? I'm sure things like accountants and day to day expenses would be cheaper there, and easier to deal with if there's a problem, being close at hand. Most businesses these days seem to register wherever the benefits are best.
    It's North Cyprus, which is basically a mess. And I'm not planning on being here much longer - we would've already left this year if not for Covid.
  • For page turn:

OK. This is all great. Thanks.

How does tax work with your own business BTW? I mean, do you pay yourself a wage that's taxed as income tax? Or does everything you take in (minus expenses) count as profit? And how is profit taxed compared to income?

Apologies if these are stupid questions - you can tell I know nothing. I just wanted some basics before digging deeper.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Most likely you'll be taxed on all income and then expenses can be claimed in tax returns.
  • For Limited companies.
    Most people will pay themselves a salary that puts them just below the 20% income tax threshold.
    That person is then an employee while also being a director.

So get paid some money from a client.

Pay salaries.
    Pay expenses.
    Pay any taxes like VAT (if registered) or employers NI.

What is left is profit which you pay corporation tax on.

Pay corporation tax.

What is left after that is yours to do as you wish. Either leave it or pay director dividends.

Dividends are then taxed on the individual in a self assessment tax form annually.
  • Right. That's pretty much what I expected. Thanks.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Surely you'd want to have a fairly high income in order for it to be worthwhile to register as a company?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    For a UK company it works like this:

You invoice (with or without VAT, initially without)

You get paid that goes in to your business bank account (e.g. Job Limited’s)

You will need to set aside a percentage of that payment for Corporation Tax (currently 19%)

You will also need to set aside an amount of NI employer contributions (you’ll have to Google that lol as I never know the exact amount)

You then pay yourself a salary from that (which should be on a monthly basis)

Ideally you want to pay yourself enough of a salary so that you can earn state pension. And tbh, most company directors do that. But you keep it as a minimum to avoid employee personal tax. You’ll also have to pay NI contributions from this pay, but again, keep the salary low and it will be minimal.

The rest of the money is generally taken as dividends, which should be once or twice a year.

You will then pay dividend tax on that for getting paid from the company. The dividends used to be a flat rate, which was great, but in past several years the government has moved to a sliding scale where you will pay more dividend tax the more you take from the company. Ideally, you want to balance keeping some in the company, which is always good for cash flow, but taking enough that you don’t spend too much on dividend tax, but could then use that to add to an ISA for example to ensure you get your yearly tax free allowance on savings.

There’s a calculator here you can use to get an idea of what you would pay, play with the figures: https://www.employedandselfemployed.co.uk/limited-company-tax-calculator
  • Kow wrote:
    Surely you'd want to have a fairly high income in order for it to be worthwhile to register as a company?
    Are there alternative options, other than just officially earning nothing?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Kow wrote:

This is a fair point too. 

I was a sole trader for three years before becoming a limited company and there is a tax break (or at least there used to be) where you can buy the “value” of the sole trader company when you form the limited company. This gives the limited company a nice tax break in the first year or two of trading. Let’s say you value your sole trader company at £20k you could “buy” that and the Limited company could say take £10k tax break across each year. It’s not real money of course.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I can't speak for Britain, but registering as freelance and registering as a business are totally different here.
  • If in the UK you could declare additional earnings through a self assessment tax form which will be lumped onto a salary and taxed as such.

So if someone earned £50k as an employee but then did £10k of work on the side their earnings would be £60k. They will have paid taxes on their salary all year but would have to pay taxes on the £10k in one lump sum.

You can also register as a sole trader.

At this point though I dont think you will be getting any of the benefits you initially outlined, such as clients working only with companies.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    Are there alternative options, other than just officially earning nothing?

Just be a sole trader. You just declare to the Tax Office that is what you are doing. You’ll need to complete a self assessment each year and still pay tax, it is just a less formal agreement and you don’t have to draw up company accounts.
  • Sorry, perhaps I led everyone down the wrong path to begin with. I guess the sole trader thing would make more sense for now.
    LivDiv wrote:
    At this point though I dont think you will be getting any of the benefits you initially outlined, such as clients working only with companies.
    There is still that of course. Maybe best to get started as merely self-employed and see how important that stuff is as I go.
  • I would get the work coming in and see the lay of the land with what clients want.
    Worst case you have to delay invoices and no client will complain about that.

Mine all want LTD companies that are VAT registered, just seems to be how my industries work. For writing it may be different.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Just be a sole trader. You just declare to the Tax Office that is what you are doing. You’ll need to complete a self assessment each year and still pay tax, it is just a less formal agreement and you don’t have to draw up company accounts.
    I've read up a bit on this now, and I'm still unclear what the tax is exactly in this scenario. Is it income tax or a tax on profits?

It seems that it's the latter, and there's only an allowance of £1000 before the tax rate (19%?) kicks in. Surely that's much worse than paying yourself a salary (with 12.5k allowance)?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I would get the work coming in and see the lay of the land with what clients want. Worst case you have to delay invoices and no client will complain about that. Mine all want LTD companies that are VAT registered, just seems to be how my industries work. For writing it may be different.
    OK, that's useful to know. I doubt I'll be working for any big places like you do anyway (if I get any work at all), so it might be different, but worth knowing regardless.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Self employed is personal tax based on the combination of all your income. You don’t split out what you make as you do with a Limited company, just need to complete a self assessment form online and pay the tax man. Use a calculator, based on what you expect to earn to see what you pay.

It’s generally a combination of salary (if you are still working), plus any earnings from your freelance stuff, but you don’t have to worry about corp tax and dividends etc.

Here’s a calculator: https://taxscouts.com/calculator/employed-self-employed-tax/
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    And also this thing about Limited companies that people may not realise is it’s protection for you personally. Let’s say you write something that is controversial and your client gets sued for whatever reason, they will likely counter-sue you. If you do this personally that’s where you can lose personal stuff (house etc.), but if done through a Limited company they can only take what is in the company (usually some cash in the bank and maybe a computer or too).

It’s rare, but something to consider depending on what sectors you end up working in. Again, liability insurance can help here. If you start to earn quite well then popping £20 a month into business insurance is a nice piece of mind to have. It probably won’t happen, but we are human and can fuck up from time to time.
  • Some advice please.

We moved into a new property in january. The previous owners the smiths were here for 7 years. Before that the jones's were here for 10 years. Mail for the jones's keeps coming here: mortgage statements (they have multiple properties), phone bills etc. Now we returned the first few letters to the mailbox with 'not known at this address'. Now im fed up as they keep coming. Where do i stand if i opened up mrs jones phone bill letter and texted her on her number to say "please change your address of the house you moved out of in 2013 otherwise your letters are going in the bin".

Wife says i cant open the bills or letters as not addressed to me.

Any thoughts?
  • Try a new tactic. Write "deceased" on the letters you return.
  • Just bin them. You've made a reasonable effort to notify the sender.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • I’m sure there’ll be some ancient postal act that means opening it’s illegal. Possibly punishable by hanging.
  • I accidentally opened a tv licence document i thought was for us and somehow the jones's have via direct debit paid for the tv licence for our house. Well i think its our house as it has our address on it. Im gonna call tv licence people tomorrow to find out. I paid our licence two weeks ago. Wish i waited now.

@dante, lol
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Would have been fraud if you had waited, if that cheers you up at all :P
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Just bin them. You've made a reasonable effort to notify the sender.

This. Not your circus, not your monkeys.
  • Only issue would be if credit is against the house, no? If they still have stuff in their name tied to that property could affect credit ratings
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Nah it will be fine, the deeds will be in Dino's name. Just know where they are in the rare case a bailiff comes knocking.

The guys that rented my flat before i bought it got loads of pay day loans and fucked off back to Ireland. I have had debt collector letters for 4 years now and nobody has come knocking. At first I opened the mail and rang the collectors to try and sort it. They assured me I had nothing to worry about and should write "not known at this address" and drop them in a post box.
    I did that for a few months before I started binning them.
  • I know where the jones's moved to 7 years ago as they ran a business out of the garage and its registered to their new address with companies house. So if any bailiffs did come knocking id give them the correct address.

Googled the mail stuff and apparently it is an offence to open mail of previous occupants even if they left 7 years ago.
  • Send the mail to that address with the sort it or it goes in the bin message.
  • I suspect putting it in the bin may not be much threat if they haven't cared for 7 years.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!