Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Irabs4Lyfe

My brother. We'll share those 72 virgins. But I pick first.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I've gone right off Family Guy but this gag will always make me laugh.

5269018967_a97247b6a1.jpg
  • Irabs4Lyfe
    Fuck that. I'm the cunt running around with grenades while you're hanging back screaming orders! :D

Never seen that Liv, very good.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I've gone right off Family Guy but this gag will always make me laugh.

5269018967_a97247b6a1.jpg

Lol that is quite good
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Irabs4Lyfe
    Fuck that. I'm the cunt running around with grenades while you're hanging back screaming orders! :D

Never seen that Liv, very good.

But I always told you who to target

• Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Maybe boerewors? That's the only African sausage I can think of.
    I think you're right. They had "beorowars" written on the paper, even their sausages can't escape war references...

Unless this sausage has a history that goes back to the Second Boer Wars. Then it might make sense.

It's gonna go on the BBQ tomorrow either way.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's afrikaans for farmer's (boer) sausage (wors). I imagine that's pretty close to the same thing in Dutch but you'd know better than me. I imagine the spelling on yours is just a mistake as it sounds phonetically similar to the way a South African would pronounce it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah it's "boer" and "worst" in Dutch, if you wanna make it one word it's "boerenworst".

I just had to smile at the "wars" part of their spelling, gives the sausage some character.
  • The Wrestlers in Highgate used to do an amazing platter of sausages. About 5 different ones. Now I don't normally go in for priapic foods but these always hit the spot after several beers.
  • It's afrikaans for farmer's (boer) sausage (wors). I imagine that's pretty close to the same thing in Dutch but you'd know better than me. I imagine the spelling on yours is just a mistake as it sounds phonetically similar to the way a South African would pronounce it.

Do you have Africaans in you goobs? You certainly look a bit Africaans, no offense.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    No mate, English and Irish decent. Afrikaanas are a strange bunch.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    English and Irish decent.

BNP member confirmed.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    English and Irish decent.

BNP member confirmed.

What?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    English and Irish decent. Africans strange.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    IT WAS YOUR SPELLING MISTAKE OK?
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Can anyone explain or link to details about setting up an effective home mesh network, or alternative options for better coverage across the whole house? The bit of research I've done so far seems to lead to cheap/basic options of wi-fi extenders and the like or full on network systems in the hundreds of pounds.

Maybe those are the two options but any advice and/or recommendations for equipment gratefully received.
  • I did this about a month ago. I went for the AmpliFi Instant from Ubiquiti. Not the cheapest but far from the most expensive, and it’s been absolutely brilliant.

https://amplifi.com/instant

This is the cheapest place to get it, because they’re the UK sales agents:
    https://linitx.com/product/ubiquiti-amplifi-instant-home-mesh-wireless-system---afi-ins-uk/15693

You get one router and one mesh point in the box. If you need more, you buy extra routers and set them up in mesh mode - they don’t sell the mesh points separately because the cost difference between those and full-fat routers would be negligible.
  • I have ethernet points throughout the house so went with hardwired Ubiquiti Unifi access points, and our experience of everything Ubiquiti is stellar.

If we didn't have the ethernet everywhere I definitely would have gone for the Amplifi mesh, it's super easy and very effective. I strongly recommend against getting the so called wifi extenders, which damage throughput across your network.
  • I didn’t know where to start shopping so I took advice from a mate who runs an A/V install company. He told me that he only installs Ubiquiti kit, wouldn’t recommend anything else.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Cheers, Pop. That looks promising. Possibly a dumb question but does the router component replace your ISP router? We have Virgin Media and doesn't look there's a connection point that would support the cable that enters the house.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    I have ethernet points throughout the house so went with hardwired Ubiquiti Unifi access points, and our experience of everything Ubiquiti is stellar. If we didn't have the ethernet everywhere I definitely would have gone for the Amplifi mesh, it's super easy and very effective. I strongly recommend against getting the so called wifi extenders, which damage throughput across your network.

Good to know they're well recommended. I've been avoiding extenders so far for that very reason.
  • Very happy with the eero Amazon-owned mesh setup we got fairly recently; just has a main one that plugs into your router & then we’ve got two satellites too. Great fast coverage everywhere, including the garden now, much better than the Apple airport setup I had previously.
  • Cosby wrote:
    Cheers, Pop. That looks promising. Possibly a dumb question but does the router component replace your ISP router? We have Virgin Media and doesn't look there's a connection point that would support the cable that enters the house.

Not dumb question! The thing you have from Virgin is a modem / router in one, and you still need the modem part. The usual recommendation is to put the Virgin box into "bridge" mode (essentially becomes a simple modem with ethernet out), then use the Amplifi main router as your, well, main router / gateway. So you'd turn off the Virgin box's wifi, DHCP and leave all that to Amplifi.
  • Dunno if that one works differently, but with the eero our virgin box still has the 2g and 5g WiFi signals available, comes in quite handy occasionally too.
  • What Funk said (obviously, since we’re using similar kit). You switch your Virgin Hub into ‘modem only’ or ‘bridge’ mode. Then you connect your new router to it via Ethernet. The new router is now taking Virgin’s connection and doing the Wi-Fi part of things for it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I bought a wifi extender - Netscape branded. Was about £70. It's main purpose is to cover the patio out the back as the signal from the hub just drops as soon as you go out there. So I have it located close to the door that leads out to the patio. Covers my whole garden. But it boosts the signal in rooms at the back of the house too (the hub is at the front of the house - my house is not massive but a good size downstairs).

When I have had it on for a while (I say a while - I mean multiple days - I should really turn it off going to bed at night) sometimes it seems to get a bit flakey. I just power cycle it. But that could be my ISP service causing it as Virgin haven't covered themselves in glory during lockdown. Could be the hub too - as the extender's range warning comes on sometimes. My house has a quite a bit of steel now too post extension and that can cause interference.

Re Virgin - Streaming is fine but two way traffic (e.g. MS Teams or VPN) is at times ropey.

I'm pretty happy with the device overall though - the extender extends 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals and was easy to setup with my Virgin Hub.

It can work as a network point as well with if you wire it up to the hub but I've never done that. There's an app for managing it too or you can browse to it's admin portal but I've never had to do that - just had to press a few buttons on the device and the hub to set it all up. It just works.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Extenders are fine, but you slow down your entire Wi-Fi network by using them. Mesh systems retain the full speed, but cost a lot more.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've actually started just leaving the extender off most of the time - Wifey has moved to another location in the house to work - she was right at the back of the house previously but it was too bright for the screen - so I don't really need it now for inside. It's main purpose is for outside after all.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I ran a discreet cable from the router downstairs to another router upstairs, which acts as a repeater, with the benefit of having full cabled speed. The upstairs router is a top level Asus one and has a great range so the whole house is covered now. I tried extenders and wall plugs etc but they were all shit as I was losing half the signal.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Cheers again for the advice gents. Will look into AmpliFi more but sounds like just what I need.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!