Ask the Bear & Badger
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've been thinking of a cabled solution myself. I'm a dick - should have thought about it when the house was ripped apart during the extension. 

I have a second point of entry where data services come in for my second Tivo at the back of the house and could utilise that and have a cable running to it externally from the front. But I can't be arsed.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The thing about having cables built in, as I understand it, is that they'd have to be changed down they line anyway as internet speeds get faster, meaning ripping them out of walls. I think mine is good up to 1gb but when it gets faster I'll need new cables (unless I've misunderstood)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    For internal cabling that would be an issue unless you get ducting put in - then it's a case of pulling new cable through.  Category 6 cabling will be around for a good while. The only thing with proper cabling too is that it is quite rigid so the turns need to be done right - the bend radius matters - you shouldn't just wrap it hard around a corner - will last longer if done right. If it's done properly outside with the appropriate cable casing it would last a long time.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    What's worse for the environment, buying drinks in plastic bottles or in aluminum cans?

I've been trying to buy drinks in glass where I can, but B likes soda and I can't really find that in glass bottles. I might not be looking good enough, I know there are some special Coca Cola flavours that do come in glass bottles, but they're the 33cl ones.
    I'm still trying to get over the fact that Trader Joe's doesn't have Orangina anymore, that came in a glass bottle and was my favourite holiday drink.

Trying to read up in it, but there doesn't really seem to be a definitive answer. Apart from just drink water.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Aluminium is easier to recycle, and causes less issues for wildlife if it's disposed of "incorrectly" but I'm not sure which is less energy intensive to produce. My gut would say aluminium is the better choice all considered.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'm currently diving down the rabbit hole of making your own soda, but I'm pretty sure you're right. They're both shitty for the environment to produce, but aluminium is easier to recycle. And therefore cans have more recycled material than bottles.
  • I dont think they can make clear plastic out of recycled stuff so that is 99.9% of soda bottles using brand new plastic, obviously that can be recycled into other things.
    Whereas a can could be made into another can.

Have you looked at Soda Streams? Still involves plastic bottles but much less of them.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah I know Soda Streams, think B had those at work. Not looking to buy anything though, it would be one of those things that would be left behind if we would move out of the US again.

They seem a good solution.
  • Cup your hands, pour it out in the shops, leg it home.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I looked into Soda Stream but the CO2 cannisters are so expensive that it doesn't work out much more expensive to just buy a bottle of Coke when you want. Plus, it's an Israeli company so no.
  • Yeah didn't see report come out recently saying that all of the plastic we 'recycle doesn't actually get recycled? And all bottles are new plastic?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nope.
  • We've had plastic bottles that say they're made from 50% of recycled material so unless the bottles are lying shits it's also a nope from me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    NPR? The news outlet funded by US government and big business? Ok.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Not to say it's not true, and I'm sure there is only a relatively small percentage of plastic that is recycled. But I'm not buying a fucking Soda Stream.
  • We need to take things back to the way it was when I was a kid in Algeria. Glass bottles. To buy new stuff, you hand over the empty used bottle, and pay for the contents only. It costs more to get a bottle of coke without handing in a new bottle.

The bottle goes back to the factory, is disinfected and reused.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Plus glass is 100% recyclable. In fact, you can just turn a glass bottle back into sand yourself by taking it to your nearest beach and smashing it on a rock a few times.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    @Armitage
    We also did that in this small village in Limburg, The Netherlands.

Also always had to keep the egg carton to give back to the farmer.

Just realized that in The Netherlands I could always take bottles (plastic and glass) back to the supermarket and get some money back. Here we all chuck it into the recycle bin.
    The bins in malls often also have a trash and recycle part, but than you look closely and it all goes in the same bin bag.
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Cup your hands, pour it out in the shops, leg it home.
    Can do that for spices, nuts, rice etc (not in your hands, but you can bring your own containers), I guess the free refills in the McD could be used for this?

• We need to take things back to the way it was when I was a kid in Algeria. Glass bottles. To buy new stuff, you hand over the empty used bottle, and pay for the contents only. It costs more to get a bottle of coke without handing in a new bottle. The bottle goes back to the factory, is disinfected and reused.

Think this was a thing everywhere tbh.  We defo used to take the bottle back when we went for pop.  The majority would claim they don't have time for such things anymore and that they're being penalised for being busy workers, not like these scroungers who've got the time to take up recycling for free money.
  • Yeah, I remember taking bottles of Barr and Ben Shaw drinks back to the shop.

Problem is, glass is heavier, so companies switched to plastic.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The amount you'd get for the bottle used to be written on the glass.
  • We need to take things back to the way it was when I was a kid in Algeria. Glass bottles. To buy new stuff, you hand over the empty used bottle, and pay for the contents only. It costs more to get a bottle of coke without handing in a new bottle. The bottle goes back to the factory, is disinfected and reused.

Ahh the old glass cheque. Used to get sent down to the corner shop by my dad to exchange the empty Irn Bru bottles, occasionally even got to spend the 20ps on sweets or reduced/out of date packets of crisps to have in a couple of Mortons rolls for lunch. 

On the wider recycling point, I'm still amazed that when I went to Sweden nearly ten years ago recycling points for plastic bottles and cans seemed to be in every shop and completely normalised, while I've still yet to see anything similar here despite it being a fantastic idea.
  • Nina wrote:
    @Armitage
    We also did that in this small village in Limburg, The Netherlands.

Also always had to keep the egg carton to give back to the farmer.

Just realized that in The Netherlands I could always take bottles (plastic and glass) back to the supermarket and get some money back. Here we all chuck it into the recycle bin.
    The bins in malls often also have a trash and recycle part, but than you look closely and it all goes in the same bin bag.
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Cup your hands, pour it out in the shops, leg it home.
    Can do that for spices, nuts, rice etc (not in your hands, but you can bring your own containers), I guess the free refills in the McD could be used for this?

It's not as good value as back in the day, but in Finland you could just take your recycling, pop it in a machine and get a voucher redeemable at the supermarket on site.

This is all eminently doable.
  • I mean, let's call this what it is: creating a market for disposable containers, ie petro and metals. Throw it all away and forget. Well, in the short space of time it took to do this, we already know the costs are externalised - oceans full of shite, third world countries and China have had enough of the waste and will not take it, and microplastics in the vital organs of even babies in the womb. Madness, a perfect example of capitalism being entirely inefficient, externalising costs and literally kicking the can down the road. We have to do away with this or we are fucked.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Ahh the old glass cheque. Used to get sent down to the corner shop by my dad to exchange the empty Irn Bru bottles, occasionally even got to spend the 20ps on sweets or reduced/out of date packets of crisps to have in a couple of Mortons rolls for lunch. 

o/
  • 20p! FFS, I remember when it went up from 2p to 5p.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Bedford is pretty much full of discarded drinks containers and people asking me for 20p so they can buy a drink and discard the container.
    One hand washes the other.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    On the wider recycling point, I'm still amazed that when I went to Sweden nearly ten years ago recycling points for plastic bottles and cans seemed to be in every shop and completely normalised, while I've still yet to see anything similar here despite it being a fantastic idea.

That’s coming, finally. Scotland first, England a couple of years later. The legislation has been passed, it’ll take a couple of years to get the infrastructure in place. (I was working with Zero Waste Scotland on getting the scheme approved about 18 months back.)
  • Got a nice scar on my elbow where the bone came through after cycling with several Barr's bottles for refunds, cried like a bitch.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!