[Baldrick's Tavern] MMOs/RPG Discussion
  • Tried to use both ps5 and Xbox controller while going through tv
    Everything works apart from controlling in game, controller is fine going through the steamdeck menu but doesn’t work in the game at all.
    Any ideas?

Edit
    Got it working, no idea how or why.  Nice to have it on a big screen and be able to read the text easily but fuck it’s ugly.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Jesus this game is tough (on medium setting), many reloads

• It's ace.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Got my arse well and truely handed to me by a mini boss. Thought I could out run them with my Elvish speed, they got to me and promptly pushed me off the edge into a chasm, instant death! More baddies turn up and wipe out the Scooby Gang.

Reload, back about 30 mins and decide to do some mooching for goods before going back, discovered a secret cellar and ended up in another pitched battle, but just about managed to survive with only Shadowheart dropping, but managed to get some nice gear. All in that little bit took about an hour, which just makes me wonder how big this game is.
  • Couple of early fights back to back without time to stop and rest, the latter navigated thanks to playing musical doors and abusing the explosive properties of barrels. This is good.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Got my arse well and truely handed to me by a mini boss. Thought I could out run them with my Elvish speed, they got to me and promptly pushed me off the edge into a chasm, instant death! More baddies turn up and wipe out the Scooby Gang. Reload, back about 30 mins and decide to do some mooching for goods before going back, discovered a secret cellar and ended up in another pitched battle, but just about managed to survive with only Shadowheart dropping, but managed to get some nice gear. All in that little bit took about an hour, which just makes me wonder how big this game is.

The first area could take a player weeks I reckon. I am currently level five and still finding things to do there.
  • Tried to use both ps5 and Xbox controller while going through tv
    Everything works apart from controlling in game, controller is fine going through the steamdeck menu but doesn’t work in the game at all.
    Any ideas?

Edit
    Got it working, no idea how or why.  Nice to have it on a big screen and be able to read the text easily but fuck it’s ugly.

Worse than a switch game?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Got my arse well and truely handed to me by a mini boss. Thought I could out run them with my Elvish speed, they got to me and promptly pushed me off the edge into a chasm, instant death! More baddies turn up and wipe out the Scooby Gang. Reload, back about 30 mins and decide to do some mooching for goods before going back, discovered a secret cellar and ended up in another pitched battle, but just about managed to survive with only Shadowheart dropping, but managed to get some nice gear. All in that little bit took about an hour, which just makes me wonder how big this game is.
    The first area could take a player weeks I reckon. I am currently level five and still finding things to do there.

I think I'm definitely underpowered at the moment, only level 3, but decided to push straight into the main quest line and have died three times trying it, so think I'll be staying in the first area and getting levelled up.
  • The first area is incredibly massive, and when you try and leave it under-levelled it will tell you that the next part will be "bitterly difficult" at your current level. A lot of main quest stuff can be done by prepping and prodding at interactions, and chatting with folk. I have a lot of game overs under my belt in 15 or so hours. I think it's the side stuff I've struggled with more, but it's a game that rewards you heartily for tilting things in your favour rather than doing a straight fight.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Tried to use both ps5 and Xbox controller while going through tv Everything works apart from controlling in game, controller is fine going through the steamdeck menu but doesn’t work in the game at all. Any ideas? Edit Got it working, no idea how or why.  Nice to have it on a big screen and be able to read the text easily but fuck it’s ugly.
    On a par with the worst of switch ports (thinking of mutant year zero)
    At level 3 here and taking it very slowly, inventory management is hard work on the steam deck.

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers, don't think I've had that warning but just following the main quest and a fight that came from that, after initially getting through most of it with dialogue, I couldn't get past it. I guess some git gud may be required. Either way I'm enjoying it.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The first area is incredibly massive, and when you try and leave it under-levelled it will tell you that the next part will be "bitterly difficult" at your current level. A lot of main quest stuff can be done by prepping and prodding at interactions, and chatting with folk. I have a lot of game overs under my belt in 15 or so hours. I think it's the side stuff I've struggled with more, but it's a game that rewards you heartily for tilting things in your favour rather than doing a straight fight.

With regards to D&D and can you choose how to go about certain situations using the likes of charisma/wisdom and will or do you only use certain skills?

I’ve not wanted to read too many reviews but saw a video where they rolled a Critical something mental happened.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Tried to use both ps5 and Xbox controller while going through tv Everything works apart from controlling in game, controller is fine going through the steamdeck menu but doesn’t work in the game at all. Any ideas? Edit Got it working, no idea how or why.  Nice to have it on a big screen and be able to read the text easily but fuck it’s ugly.
    On a par with the worst of switch ports (thinking of mutant year zero)
    At level 3 here and taking it very slowly, inventory management is hard work on the steam deck.

Cheers will probably buckle when I get home.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    The first area is incredibly massive, and when you try and leave it under-levelled it will tell you that the next part will be "bitterly difficult" at your current level. A lot of main quest stuff can be done by prepping and prodding at interactions, and chatting with folk. I have a lot of game overs under my belt in 15 or so hours. I think it's the side stuff I've struggled with more, but it's a game that rewards you heartily for tilting things in your favour rather than doing a straight fight.
    With regards to D&D and can you choose how to go about certain situations using the likes of charisma/wisdom and will or do you only use certain skills? I’ve not wanted to read too many reviews but saw a video where they rolled a Critical something mental happened.

I'm a Sorcerer so my main stat happens to be Charisma, and I nearly always get choices to persuade, intimidate charm etc Not had anything whacky so far. As for thinking around situations... talking to animals and the dead is good! They have put a lot of thought into interactions, while they'll quite often eventually boil down to "fight" or "don't fight" there are interesting ways of getting there.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Cheers, don't think I've had that warning but just following the main quest and a fight that came from that, after initially getting through most of it with dialogue, I couldn't get past it. I guess some git gud may be required. Either way I'm enjoying it.

Which fight are you up against?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Grab everything you can and sell it! I would appear to have no decent healing in my current party so need a load of potions. Breaking my oath wasn't a great idea
  • Tempy wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    With regards to D&D and can you choose how to go about certain situations using the likes of charisma/wisdom and will or do you only use certain skills? I’ve not wanted to read too many reviews but saw a video where they rolled a Critical something mental happened.

I'm a Sorcerer so my main stat happens to be Charisma, and I nearly always get choices to persuade, intimidate charm etc Not had anything whacky so far. As for thinking around situations... talking to animals and the dead is good! They have put a lot of thought into interactions, while they'll quite often eventually boil down to "fight" or "don't fight" there are interesting ways of getting there.

Cheers, I’ll get it when I get home Saturday night and download it over night.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:

It's the...
    Spoiler:

Just opened a barn door that I wish I hadn't! And that turned into another thought fight but just managed to scrape my way through. Lack of healing is definitely where I'm weakest, but then when you have healing, it's balancing that with wanting to damage the enemy.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    It's the...
    Spoiler:
    Just opened a barn door that I wish I hadn't! And that turned into another thought fight but just managed to scrape my way through. Lack of healing is definitely where I'm weakest, but then when you have healing, it's balancing that with wanting to damage the enemy.

Ah right, I know that one. Have you tried talking to her and getting her to go somewhere a little quieter?
  • The amount of options in this game is staggering, in a good way.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    It's the...
    Spoiler:
    Ah right, I know that one. Have you tried talking to her and getting her to go somewhere a little quieter?

Yep, did that bit first, and then she turned on me as I agreed to let her help... thought I'd nailed it too! I wondered if it was set that that would be the outcome, but from your comment it sounds like you can talk your way through it, may retry.
  • Steam link to a laptop from steamdeck works quite well
    Think I will get this on ps5, can definitely see myself having a second play through

• b0r1s wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    It's the...
    Spoiler:

Yep, did that bit first, and then she turned on me as I agreed to let her help... thought I'd nailed it too! I wondered if it was set that that would be the outcome, but from your comment it sounds like you can talk your way through it, may retry.

Oh I didn’t talk my way out of it!
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ha ha, yeah, I did the choke point with cloud of blades, but they got through and missiled Gale which ended that. 

However, didn't think to...
    Spoiler:

At least I know what I'm doing after work! Thanks :-)
  • Is there no thread for baldurs gate 3?

It looks awesome and difficult and I think il be all over it come release on console.
  • digi wrote:
    Is there no thread for baldurs gate 3? It looks awesome and difficult and I think il be all over it come release on console.
    No-one could be arsed making a thread.
    If you think you might like it then prepare to be blown away, you would have to really hate "those types of games" not to love BG3.

• I kinda grew up on the Baldurs Gate series, awesome games. But I bounced off Divinity: Original Sin II pretty hard due to a) lack of hand-holding (where the feck I am supposed to go now? b) really tough initial combat encounters (why is my party being ganked all the time?)

BG always had some punishing combat scenarios , but these were typically reserved for high level encounters. I expect to get spat out by a Beholder, that's fine. D:OS 2 combat though seemed arbitrarily nasty from the get go. BG3 seems more of the same

And I am sorry, but I'm not a big fan of Larian's high fantasy 'humour'.

I take some solace from the fact though that everything else in BG3 looks stunning. Love the use of the narrator, the old style D&D dice rolls and the facial tech and voice work for the NPCs looks like it sets a new standard for single player RPGs.

I shall monitor this thread with interest.
    Spoiler:
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Poor Brian.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!