Assassin's Creed
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Ok so started this, after half an hour or so...I love it. Much more prepared for this as an actual RPG, and going a against the grain but even though I’ve only had a handful of fights I think I prefer the combat to Origins. Time will tell.

Odyssey is better in every way - they fully committed to it in a way they didn’t with Origins
    The Forum Herald™
  • The one thing Origins did better though was having the player-cam zoomed in. I understand why Odyssey had it zoomed out, to make the player feel even more dwarfed by the epic size of land, but having played both, I think I prefer Origins take on it.  The first time I was set upon by Hyenas in the desert in Origins, combat felt more visceral, simply because everything was more up close.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Hmm I genuinely don’t remember that

Maybe you have the options set wrong
    The Forum Herald™
  • Nope, they're different for the reasons Blocks states. I disagree it's the one thing it did better, but Origins did have a much closer camera.
  • All this talk in here has made me want to give Odyssey another proper go. I'll restart tonight
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm a go back to Origins on PC. it's a SRS looker.
  • Odyssey is far and away the better game
    The Forum Herald™
  • So far I’m completely with Bob. And that doesn’t happen often so it means something...Origins is a very good game, but Odyssey so far is incredible.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    So far I’m completely with Bob. And that doesn’t happen often so it means something...

Probably means you’re drunk or something.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • origins is like the start of the experiment but it’s a half way house it’s still dragging some old ac gameplay tropes along with it. Odyssey goes all in and it’s all the better for it. Plus the female lead is the best protagonist they’ve ever had and the world is better.
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Not quite sure why I'm plodding on with FC5, maybe I should just move to Odyssey instead??
  • Yes.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Origins was a different Ubi studio (Montreal) to Odyssey (Quebec), they’re two different takes on the same idea rather than a linear progression. I’m more interested in what Montreal do next because I think the slip into more equals better, gear focussed combat, and rpg style story choices is good, but not as good as the more focussed approach of Origins. Kassandra is fine, if you like that Mass Effect style “decide who you are” thing, but Bayek was a better and more consistent character for me.
  • Bob wrote:
    origins is like the start of the experiment but it’s a half way house it’s still dragging some old ac gameplay tropes along with it. Odyssey goes all in and it’s all the better for it. Plus the female lead is the best protagonist they’ve ever had and the world is better.

Gone with the male. Never pick female if I have the choice...wait...
  • Bob wrote:
    origins is like the start of the experiment but it’s a half way house it’s still dragging some old ac gameplay tropes along with it. Odyssey goes all in and it’s all the better for it. Plus the female lead is the best protagonist they’ve ever had and the world is better.

Gotta agree.
    Not only is odyssey a decent assassins cred game but it's a damn fine game in its own right.

Origins has too much wrong for it to be any good or even fun.
    Tempy wrote:
    Origins was a different Ubi studio (Montreal) to Odyssey (Quebec), they’re two different takes on the same idea rather than a linear progression. I’m more interested in what Montreal do next because I think the slip into more equals better, gear focussed combat, and rpg style story choices is good, but not as good as the more focussed approach of Origins. Kassandra is fine, if you like that Mass Effect style “decide who you are” thing, but Bayek was a better and more consistent character for me.

There 2 studios delivering ass crease games!

I didn't think either one was anything like mass effect, if anything odyssey offers more freedom than either of them games.

Origins progression system is terrible and outdated too.
    At least on odyssey if you are warned something is 3 or 4 levels above you, you can still beat them with a bit of luck and skill.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Bob wrote:

Gone with the male. Never pick female if I have the choice...wait...

I always pick female in 3Rd person becouse I'd rather look at the females ass for my 80 odd hours or so.
    (also kassandra is just better in every way in this)
  • I think Quebec's next game is going to be some sort of Zelda-like take on 'Gods & Monsters' set in Ancient Greece, but with cartoonish styles.  Not my cup of tea.  So I assume responsibility for the next AC has now swung back to the Montreal studio.  So less sandbox and more linear narrative?  As long as they keep the massive open world thing going, I'll be happy.  Wish Ubi would make a clear announcement on the next game though, all these Ragnarok rumours are becoming way tiresome.
  • They’re clearly sharing tech and a similar dna it’s not like they’re different Games and odyssey is still better for shedding more of the stuff that’s been bogging down ac since the second ezio one - all imo of course
    The Forum Herald™
  • @Davie you’ve managed to miss the point about the ME thing - the dialogue choices you get in Odyssey are very Paragon/Renegade style - you can chose to hug someone or threaten to break their arms, whereas Bayek is a written character.

After all the praise Odyssey got I expected to like it more too, but I just didn’t enjoy the systems as much. I played both ofer a fortnight at my Dad’s. I enjoyed them both, I just preferred how Origins did stuff. Not everyone will think the same. I found Origins both good and fun.

I said in the Just Given Up thread that I think Scales of the Crocodile is a better set of main story missions than pretty much anything in Odyssey, and I stand by that. Odyssey certainly had some more enjoyable open world systems, but I preferred the focus of Origins more.
  • Bob wrote:
    They’re clearly sharing tech and a similar dna it’s not like they’re different Games and odyssey is still better for shedding more of the stuff that’s been bogging down ac since the second ezio one - all imo of course

Just trying to add some nuance to the discussion given they’re developed by different studios with different directions - but you do you. If you prefer Odyssey, that’s fine.
  • Tempy wrote:
    @Davie you’ve managed to miss the point about the ME thing - the dialogue choices you get in Odyssey are very Paragon/Renegade style - you can chose to hug someone or threaten to break their arms, whereas Bayek is a written character.

I right didn't realise there was no writing involved in the two protagonists in odyssey!

also iv had up to 5 choices in some quests so it's never really as simple as paragon renegade and the choices actually have an effect on late game stuff and I mean like lots of it.
  • I’m not saying there is no writing involved. There’s plenty, it’s just different to Origin.

Why are you twisting everything I say? Comparing it Mass Effect’s P/R is just shorthand rather than having to long windily explain it? I know there weren’t binary options, because I played the game.

If you write a character with multiple options it’s less authored from the writer’s side, and is more in the player’s hands. Neither option is better or worse, I just preferred the way they did it with Bayek because it made him a more memorable character for me. If you prefer the other approach, that’s fine? It’s not a zero sum game?
  • Tempy wrote:
    I’m not saying there is no writing involved. There’s plenty, it’s just different to Origin.

Why are you twisting everything I say? Comparing it Mass Effect’s P/R is just shorthand rather than having to long windily explain it? I know there weren’t binary options, because I played the game.

If you write a character with multiple options it’s less authored from the writer’s side, and is more in the player’s hands. Neither option is better or worse, I just preferred the way they did it with Bayek because it made him a more memorable character for me. If you prefer the other approach, that’s fine? It’s not a zero sum game?

I'm not twisting, I just thought it were funny!
    Doesn't it mean there's more writing if there's more choices and threads?

I don't see that it's better to be forced down a route and think the writing should only improve by giving the player more choice and therefore more consequences.

It's great that we all like diffrent things Imo and I respect yours.
    Sometimes it's better to disagree and both of us be happy with what we prefer.

Although it does muddy the waters when someone asks for a recommendation of wich is the better buy.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    They’re clearly sharing tech and a similar dna it’s not like they’re different Games and odyssey is still better for shedding more of the stuff that’s been bogging down ac since the second ezio one - all imo of course

Just trying to add some nuance to the discussion given they’re developed by different studios with different directions - but you do you. If you prefer Odyssey, that’s fine.
    Yeah for sure.

I probably should try origins again
    The Forum Herald™
  • It wasn’t about it being better or worse, it’s was about it being different.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I started Odyssey. Early days, kinda learning the controls still really. Lots of info thrown at me, forgot about the whole bird thing, and not yet convinced by combat but imagine it'll get better as I unlock more. Already getting lured into side quests, sorry Portia
  • Yeah try not to get anxiety from the quest lists in the map screen.

It. Never. Ends.
  • Good game though glad you're enjoying itttt!!!!!!
  • And the combat gets much better as you unlock more stuff. You get so bad ass.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Try disabling the hud and map markers. I know if I had my time over again with Odyssey, that'd be the first thing I'd do.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!