Assassin's Creed
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Bit disappointed it’s set in England.  Was hoping I’d be playing beneath auroran skies.
    Whoever said Milton Keynes was kinda right
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Play GoW

I actually love that series because it's very much A-B-C with action scenes in between. A clear beginning, middle and end with a straight line between objectives. No faff.
    I would love an option to play Assassins Creed and experience the story and set pieces without having to invest 60 hours into it.
    I've played Odyssey for 2 hours and haven't seen hardly any of the story or even got off the first sodding island.
    I appreciate that for someone people the size and scale of the games is what they play for but I'm lucky to get more than a few hours a week to be able to play games on my consoles due to family commitments and working a hard job with long variable shift hours. Means I might sometimes go a whole week without a chance to play on my xbox, by which point ive forgotten what was going on in the game, what this item was, which of the 10 side quests was I focussing on, which of the million waypoints is the one I need and what do these weapons do?

Just give us a simple menu option that will almost put blinkers on and just let us skip straight to the next story beat

Apart from the reboot which had a lot of faff
    The Forum Herald™
  • I didn't play more than the first half hour of Gears 5 so can't really say much about it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Classic Woo... nah not so much
    The Forum Herald™
  • Well it starts in Norway and apparently you're free to sail back and forth across the sea to visit either landmass. A lot smaller scale than Odyssey though with presumably only your Norwegian homebase and 3 confirmed major cities in England, across the kingdoms of Northumbera, Mercia and Wessex.  Mind you, Odyssey was so HUGE the only direction they could go would be to make it smaller (but hopefully with more detail).

Other things I gleaned from the announcement was the focus on settlement building. Don't think it'll be handled like Fallout4 (god forbid), more a case of dialogue choices that'll have your merry Viking men build a blacksmith if you want to prioritise weapon crafting over sheep herding or whatever. 

As loathe as I am to side with the purists who argue that the series has forgotten its roots, you do have to pause and wonder, 'where are the Assassiny bits then?`. I mean, there's absolutely no mention of stealth gameplay elements at all in this initial announcement. Early days I admit but did no one else question why this has still got Assassin in the title? It's all mass scale battles now, no skulking in the shadows. 

Not that I'm complaining, I love the new direction the series has taken (and it's not exactly new any more anyway)
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sounds like The Last Kingdom: The Game. Bamburgh castle has to be in there.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Well it starts in Norway and apparently you're free to sail back and forth across the sea to visit either landmass. A lot smaller scale than Odyssey though with presumably only your Norwegian homebase and 3 confirmed major cities in England, across the kingdoms of Northumbera, Mercia and Wessex.  Mind you, Odyssey was so HUGE the only direction they could go would be to make it smaller (but hopefully with more detail).

Other things I gleaned from the announcement was the focus on settlement building. Don't think it'll be handled like Fallout4 (god forbid), more a case of dialogue choices that'll have your merry Viking men build a blacksmith if you want to prioritise weapon crafting over sheep herding or whatever. 

As loathe as I am to side with the purists who argue that the series has forgotten its roots, you do have to pause and wonder, 'where are the Assassiny bits then?`. I mean, there's absolutely no mention of stealth gameplay elements at all in this initial announcement. Early days I admit but did no one else question why this has still got Assassin in the title? It's all mass scale battles now, no skulking in the shadows. 

Not that I'm complaining, I love the new direction the series has taken (and it's not exactly new any more anyway)

I guarantee the
    Odyssey team are
    Working on bigger
    The Forum Herald™
  • Milton Keynes is just east of central Mercia if anyone was concerned.
  • Coming to old and new
    Consoles
    Male
    And female
    Lead
    The Forum Herald™
  • Cross gen(der)
  • Now that I know this is what Monreal are working on, I am interested to see where they take it.
  • That said, I am looking forward to Quebec's Gods and Monsters too.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Cross gen(der)

Yes
  • Tempy wrote:
    That said, I am looking forward to Quebec's Gods and Monsters too.

Ubisoft's release window seems quite clustered if Valhalla is the first out. Both Gods and Monstaers and Watchdogs are also supposed to he out this financial year. So before May 2021.

I am definitely keen to see more of GnM. Seems to me like they played BotW and thought they would have a bit of that.
  • Apparently the guy who plays Cnut in The Last Kingdom voices the main protagonist in this new AssCreed game. Get in!

thumb_l-can-feel-it-i-can-feel-it-in-my-43062932.png
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Sounds like he might have a cyst.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Risotto was the second game.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Just done the cultist bit that really hinges the story.
    Spoiler:
    DiCaprio had my interest. meme

Yeah I've just done that, on Athens now (a level early), assassinated a few cult dudes so spear is up a level, but omg so many quests in my quest log. Can't work out
    Spoiler:
    or what. Hopefully keeping to the story will make shizzle clear as I progress...

I'm more hoarding points till I'm level 16 when the next tier unlocks. But keep forgetting to assign me armour/weapons, let alone upgrade/engrave. Numberwang Central.
  • You don’t. It should list the Cult as a main quest, Family as a main quest, and eventually a third main quest. They all have their own states of completion (e.g you can complete the third one without finishing the first and vice versus) but they overlap in certain places, so you’ll kill cultists as part of the family quest and so on.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ah ok. Yeah I have two pictures, and I thought I had three parallel Odyssey quests, so that makes sense. Ta.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Obviously good for leveling up etc though I imagine. So I'll probably get a few.

I'm on explore mode now though, and although I can mark the ones I have all clues for, it didn't say where I think they are our mark it on the main map, just on the HUD compass, which shows things down a little... Think I'm enjoying it more overall though, it is a bit more interesting than just having every blob on the map
  • This was dirt cheap so I picked it up. Some very impressive aaaness going on. Helps I've skipped between 2-3 major AC games I guess.

Went with the low key HUD. Impressed by the amount of options around hwo you want to play.

There's some massive uncanny Valley stuff going on, both in cutscenes and in game movement and mechanics, but it's still very fun, even massively early days.

I note almost immediately that they've ruined the impact of the bird and scouting by forcing cutscenes when you enter story missions, which has been a glaring problem since *checks notes* literally the very first AC game. Ffs.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Depends on the mission tbf
  • Cool. Good to know. Early days. Hate mail might ensue if it's the whole game.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There's still a chunk of that, not is not all assassinations by any means
  • The big improvement was no shitty follow undetected listening to guff missions.

Anyway I'm going back to have another bash at 3 seeing as my AC love is fired up again.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Just to see what all the fuss was about, I bought a copy of Black Flag sometime ago and I have now finally got round to playing it.  It was a bit of a jolt coming from Odyssey, with movement and combat being far more clunky than the game that came 5 years later, but hardly surprising. But once things started to click a bit more, there was a lot to appreciate in its recreation of 18th century Havana - the setting was spot on.

One thing I'd like to see return in Valhalla is the set piece levels. Essentially Odyssey was one big level, but apart from some memorable fortress raids, there weren't any crafted set pieces (those dynasty warrior sections don't count)

Only early days with Black Flag, but I was suitably impressed with the level where I had to free imprisoned pirates from a fleet of Spanish galleons. If the next game can craft some similarly stunning set pieces whilst still maintaining it's open world sensibilities, we'll be onto a winner.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm playing Black Flag too. Clunky understates it a bit, the hardcore parkour is terrible. Still persevering with it, the ship battles are decent but not a patch in the hull of Sea of Thieves. What happened to that Ubi pirate game?
  • Skull & Bones. Ubi last stated it would set sail on the '2020/2021 fiscal year'. So, lost at sea then.
  • Black flag was great but starting to show the formulas age.
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!