Pro Evolution Soccer 2013
  • i'm sure this has always been part of PES, but maybe i just imagine it, but do they 'fix' the replays so everything looks better, in terms of ball collisions and animations, and speed of shots etc?
    as an example, you score a header, but in the moment the ball is 'headed' goalwards when you press the button, but the actual player animation is behind the play...then in the replay he seems to meet the header perfect?
    also i find shooting in this seems a bit powder puff, the ball just seems to float off at the same pace regardless of power and distance etc, the keeper waits a while then dives and flaps at it...but then in the replays it all seems a bit more dramatic...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Lord help me, I'm loving this. Been playing on Proffesional as the AI are a little too precog on Top Player, it's been glorious. Best single player football experience of the generation.

Obviously it's just a demo so there's plenty of time for them to fuck it up before release, but I'm actually quite optimistic about it.
  • I played 2011 to death against a mate online, then bought 2012 and only played it once (probably more due to Trials than the game being poor).  I'm always optimistic about Pro Evo though, so I'm sure I'll buy this at some point.  Just finished downloading the demo.
  • Had a few games earlier, the fact this has lasted two days on my hard drive is testament to how much of an improvement it is. Evokes PES' of old, serious consideration for release day.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Now I'm having visions of enough of us buying it to for a league or have a knockout competition going like the Trials Evolution thread. 

I've got to stop myself and remember how shit the online modes for the last one were.
  • There was that group thing in the one before though, did they get rid of that?  Where you could create a private group with, say, eight members that signed up, and it kept stats of how well everyone had done against one another.  I'd be up for something less strict than a league but would still be interested in playing the odd game against forum members.

Edit: Wait, everyone will probably be playing it on 360 right?  I never successfully switched pads, so it's one of the few multiformat games I buy on PS3.
  • i would be on PS3 if i get it.  do they still have that 'clubs-lite' online mode where up to 4 people play on the same team, getting points for passing to each other and scoring etc?

also, i think the thing i'm particularly loving about this is holding R2 when you recieve the ball, turning to face defender, still holding R2, you move about for a bit quick footed trickery, defender dives in as you slip past and hit sprint... it may be a bit too easy for some, but i think it looks and feels much more like real dribbling and taking people on, rather than 'hold trick button, enter convoluted trick routine, watch as player performs super trick 6, resume control at outcome...'
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Xbox all the way. They do have the online legends mode, and an online master league, but single player is the main draw for me.

I haven't tried that RT thing, I'll give it a go next time I'm on.
  • , but i think it looks and feels much more like real dribbling and taking people on, rather than 'hold trick button, enter convoluted trick routine, watch as player performs super trick 6, resume control at outcome...'

Amen to that. I hate the FIFA trick system. I'm sure people get amazing results out of it but it doesnt feel natural and I could never use it instinctively bar knock-ons.

Havent really enjoyed a footie game (PES or FIFA) since PES 6 on the ps2 so I have the old fingers crossed.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah this demo is fantastic.
  • if everyone is enjoying this, do we dare to dream about the final game?
    here's some things i need from this PES

MASTER LEAGUE - Master League should NOT be a football management sim...i always thought of it more like a footy RPG, where you basically grind to get points to either spend on better players, or grind to improve the ones you've already got.  it's about moulding your own personal team, not pretending to be manager of Real Madrid

PRO/LEGEND MODE - i haven't played the mode for a few years so not sure where it's at, but it needs to be about playing footy and NOT shopping for ear rings etc.  also being rewarded for playing well even if you don't score goals would be nice.  and being told what position you're playing if the formation changes.  and being able to skip bits of the game if you're sub(bed).

ONLINE CLUBS - doesn't need to be 11v11 like FIFA (especially as human keepers ruin it), but being able to make a team with a few mates using your 'pros' with the AI playing the other players, to play against other teams with individuals in is the best part of FIFA for me...even a stripped down version could help seal the deal for me.

CELEBRATIONS - this is about the only FIFA 'gimmick' I've ever wanted PES to rip off, and i'm surprised they haven't (and don't expect it to be in this years version since not in demo)...but i quite like being able to run around like a loon after scoring instead of the pre-canned routine.

HAIR - another one not for this year, but they should have left the player models at the level they were in the PS2 era, and used all the extra graphics horsepower on modelling realistic hair! :)  all the best players have mullets or long hair, and it should be flapping in the breeze and bouncing about as they twist and turn, rather than looking like a hair coloured helmet made from cardboard...
  • PES4 was the last one I really played, and I played the Master League a lot. There's a few fixes I'd like to see for me to ever go back. First would be getting rid of the preseason training snore fest - just make stat increases automatic - and then making the transfers more believable. Other teams would hardly ever come in for my players and if I sold them they'd fetch massive fees. Too easy to build up a huge bank balance and get anyone you wanted. Oh yeah, there was also a thing where some players would peak at age 22 and go downhill quickly from there - at that point they'd obviously decided C. Ronaldo wasn't going anywhere and he was shit by about 26. And then there was the injury rating, which jumped from A - almost never gets injured, to B - spends about half of every season injured.

Obviously some of these might already have been sorted, but I wouldn't know.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The Become a Legend mode last year had a pop up when the manager switched formations, but you still had to sit and watch the 'AI' battle it out when you were subbed. 

I'd like to see whinging players eradicated from the game. 'Why didn't you pick me boss?' 'It's only the first game son, get the fuck out of my office.'
  • I still really like this.

BUT my game has lots of lag/slow down (I play on Xbox Elite) yet it runs fine on my brother's 360 S, and also on my friend's machine (also a 360 S).

Is me box fucked?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    No, I get that. It seems to be when the ball crosses the half way line. I think it's the demo not your Xbox.
  • Ah That's good to know, cheers Paul :)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Don't believe the hype.
  • Hype or not, think I'll have to buy this bugger day 1.
  • adored wrote:
    Hype or not, think I'll have to buy this bugger day 1.

Same here, if it's anything like the demo.

It will be the first PES I've bought since the awful PES 6 on the 360.
  • I was devout PES until 2012, where they buggered up Master League Online beyond comprehension.  Switched over to FIFA. I came and I conquered and I think I wanna go back. Have clocked in a ridiculous amount of games in the Head to Head seasons, and basically bounce between D1 & D2. I dare say I'll buy 2013, but if PES' Master League Online returns to form, I'll probably switch back because of the sheer depth of that mode. FIFA has still yet to offer a suitable online alternative. Who the fuck cares about collecting cards? 

Anyway, have only played a few games of the demo and I like it, but then I liked 2012 until the MLO fuck up. I find PES to be the Arsenal of the footy game world though. Arsenal always seem 2 or 3 players away from greatness, like-wise PES always just seems a few gameplay, animation tweaks away from returning to form.
  • @kestla  how long have you been a PES fan for?

i just ask cos it seems odd to me that you would stick with through the years of getting progressively worse, to then ditch it after the last release changed the master league online in a way you didn't like...especially as i would think the majority of people that would say 'i used to love PES but then i moved to FIFA' probably did so before the master league online stuff really even happened...
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    This game SO does not need celebrations.

The demo was solid, but needs to be way more refined up to the release of a second demo. Fifa still rules the roost, but I'd love to see PES return to former glories.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    kestla wrote:
    Who the fuck cares about collecting cards?

Also, hello.
  • @kestla  how long have you been a PES fan for? i just ask cos it seems odd to me that you would stick with through the years of getting progressively worse, to then ditch it after the last release changed the master league online in a way you didn't like...especially as i would think the majority of people that would say 'i used to love PES but then i moved to FIFA' probably did so before the master league online stuff really even happened...

I've been PES fan since day one i.e. ISS Deluxe, PES on the PSOne etc. While there's no doubt it got worse, there was still underlining spine of PES throughout, and as it was all I knew and all my friends played, I stuck with it and got plenty from the series even during it's decline. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd played FIFA and have bought them in addition to PES since 2010, but stuck with PES just because they introduced MLO and that basically saw me persevere with it for another year because that mode was like digital crack. Once they'd ballsed that up though, I turned my attentions to FIFA 12 and haven't looked back since.
  • I used to play Pro Evo all the time.  Playing this demo was like visiting an elderly relative to find they've succumbed to Alzheimer's.

The animations are swampy, floaty, and somehow behind time.  The sound is muffled yet staccato, and significantly behind time.  The whole experience is like playing through treacle.  I'm all for a slower more considered pace (FIFA can be a bit zippy and end-to-end) but the answer is not to fog everything into a diazepam/nitrazepam stupor.  The graphics are N64 hazy in play, 100Hz soap-opera effect crispy everywhere else.  The menus still make it feel like a poorly translated game by people who once overheard a conversation about football on an overcrowded bus.

I seriously don't know what the fuck some of you are thinking.
  • @kestla  your explanation is acceptable. :)

@adkm1979  yeah but just like visiting an elderly relative to find they've succumbed to Alzheimer's, while you know it's sad that it's not what it was and deep down you know you're never going to get those really great times back, selfishly you enjoy that at least this PES is a bit fun compared to the old and grumpy version of recent years...
  • The demos are always technical monstrosities compared to the final product - animations, lag, speed of the game, controls. It's not able to compete with FIFA anymore on the look and feel of the game but it'll be nothing like as bad once the final release rolls out.  

The menus are, and have always been, a labyrinthian nightmare.
  • Think the biggest problem PES has, and one that's be present all generation, is the animation. How it can still be so lame and jerky after several iterations in, is anyone's guess. It really doesn't look too hot on first impressions, particularly if you've been use to the fluidity of FIFA. 

I still maintain that there's a lot of depth to the series, and that's why there's a very active community, but Konami aren't doing anyone any favours with the animation. They seem to add new ones each year, but simply add them to the existing jerky ones. They don't realise, it's the frames missing between animations that make it jerky. 

Anyway, I'll wait til the 2nd demo before I decide whether to get this or not

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!