Pro Evolution Soccer 2013
  • i always put myself firmly in the 'gameplay is more important than graphics' camp, but it really does have a massive psychological effect when you compare the smooth fluidity of the movement and animation in FIFA to the jarring changes and on rails running in PES.
    it's probably a big thing in this demo's favour that there isn't a FIFA demo out at the same time to compare with like there usually is - plus i'm sick of FIFA now so i'm not playing the current version either to make PES look worse...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I have fucking hated PES for years now.

But I'm addicted to this demo. It has flaws, yes. But damn, it plays a decent game of footy. I can't even be bothered to play FIFA because of it.
  • Plan M wrote:
    But damn, it plays a decent game of footy.
    I suspect you've seen about the same amount of decent football as those who've made this game, and slightly less than my girlfriend, who hates football.

Ram, it's not fun.  It's annoying, frustrating, and I wanted to hurt it while nobody was looking, just like I did to my great granda.  Um, yeah.  It's rubbish.
  • i think adkm just can't score... ;)  have you tried slipping past an onrushing defender with the R2 dribble?  that's fun.

tell you what though, they need to sort the refs out as they're as bad as ever and starting to get on my tits.  i played a couple of games last night, and i was diving in to sliding tackles all over the place for a lark, being dangerously late on defenders clearing the ball, and flying into attackers with some real crunchers, and the ref didn't seem remotely phased.
    but then Deco got sent off for two good clean standing tackles from the side, on both occasions he played the ball and the forward fell over, and he got booked each time.  no other bad tackles made by him or free kicks conceded in between.  it's irritating in a demo, but would be annoying as hell if happens regularly in career mode etc...
  • Is there a FIFA thread? Tried searching, don't understand how to play 11 vs 11 mode.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Plan M wrote:
    But damn, it plays a decent game of footy.
    I suspect you've seen about the same amount of decent football as those who've made this game, and slightly less than my girlfriend, who hates football. Ram, it's not fun.  It's annoying, frustrating, and I wanted to hurt it while nobody was looking, just like I did to my great granda.  Um, yeah.  It's rubbish.

No need to be so condescending.  I've watched plenty of decent football in my time thank you very much.  Plenty of people are saying that this is a very good demo and you happen to dislike it, which is fine.

I'm just happy there should be 2 decent footy titles this year.
  • Had another go on the demo yesterday, and apart from the ref giving a yellow card for every single foul it was great, managed a couple of decent wins and really enjoyed it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What level are you playing on Jamie? Proffesional is a little too easy, I can keep possession all day, but I can't even create a decent chance in Top Player.
  • Whatever the default is fella, probably Very Easy as I've been bamboozled by every football game post ISS64.
  • Turns out I'd been playing on regular.

Anyway, been playing some more today, really like this game, going to be a day 1 purchase I think.

Had a match on superstar difficulty as Germany vs England, finished 0-0 after I fluffed a couple of chances when I got in behind the incredibly efficient offside trap, but was great fun nontheless.

Only criticism is that in every match I've played, every single foul I've committed has resulted in a yellow card.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    You need to learn to tackle better then...

;)
  • no, he needs to learn to tackle worse! :)
    i find that lunging sliding tackles are ok, the later the better.  it's the clean standing tackles that really seem to upset the ref.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Ha!

Not a good sign for a game if it can't differentiate between a good and bad tackle. Been Fifa 12's problem all year thanks to this impact engine.
  • Hasn't mattered what type of foul, be it snapping John Terry in half from behind, ot just trying to toe the ball away from someone, every singly foul has resulted in a yellow.

I'm hoping in the game proper you can adjust the referee's settings to be less of a twat. Has played advantage after a couple of bad fouls and not booked the player after the event, but at present every free kick = yellow card.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That hasn't been the case with me, adored is obviously a raving lunatic.
  • I may well be, that's of little consolation to poor little Neymar who was sent off for 2 innocuous challenges.

Unless the yellows were for his stupid fucking haircut, in which case all is well.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Neymar deserves it, ugly little freak.
  • That hasn't been the case with me, adored is obviously a raving lunatic.

Same.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    They've never got the refereeing sorted. The AI is the master of running into the back of your player when he's through, barging your guy off the ball while the ref just waves play on. Incredibly annoying. 

Obviously three seconds later you make a good clean tackle and the fucker blows for a foul. It's a fix.
  • It's the only gripe I have with the game at present. Can be slighlty irksome seeing a replay showing you won the ball fairly, but it's the cards that really niggle.

It's certainly not as polished as FIFA, but I've enjoyed my time with the demo more than the time I spent on the last FIFA I bought (11 I think).
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's little niggles like that which, over the course of a season or two playing against the AI really do your nut in. It's not much of an issue playing against another real life human bean, as they start to even themselves out, but against the AI you start to see patterns emerge where you feel the engine is cheating you. 

Well I do at least, but I may be bonkers.
  • Having been an absolute PES fanatic since PES3, I think this is easily the best iteration since PES6. However, I've been misled before by the demo (I'm looking at you, PES2012) so I'm still nervous about the full release.

I got tired between PES2010 and 2011, and went to FIFA10. It was good for a few hours, then it sunk it that it just wasn't the same. EA have a robotic game, it's not like PES which is why I didn't like PES2012: too robotic, too much like EA.

If they fuck up ML again mind, I will be LIVID. Value of a player? "£10m". Cost to acquire said player? £100m. DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.
  • Last football game I bought was PES 4 on PS2. I've played many demos since then and have really not enjoyed them, so I gave up perhaps two or three years ago. The positive comments in this thread mean that I'll download this demo and give it a try. Here's hoping....
  • Skondo wrote:
    Last football game I bought was PES 4 on PS2. I've played many demos since then and have really not enjoyed them, so I gave up perhaps two or three years ago. The positive comments in this thread mean that I'll download this demo and give it a try. Here's hoping....

Let us know how you find it! Be good to get an opinion from someone with a "clean palette".
  • I posted this in a FIFA thread last week which then promptly died, so I'll try it here in the PES thread to see if I get any more interest for...
    The Beautiful Game: The Game , my multiplayer 'world cup singles' footy game for PC.  There's more info in the 'games what we wrote' thread, but if you're interested in checking it out I'll be playing it online this Friday night with a few others at around 9:30pm.  Obviously you're free to play it whenever you want, and there's local 2 player, but it's not much fun on your own, hence the 'scheduled' game time.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Demo two is dropping next week folks.
    Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH today revealed the second playable demo for its stunning PES 2013 title will be released for, Xbox 360® on August 28th and on PlayStation®3 on August 29th, with a Windows PC to follow later in September. The new demo showcases the continued evolution of the game, and offers a truly immersive on-pitch experience.

The demo will be available via Xbox®LIVE Marketplace and PlayStation®Network. The free demo will offer 11 fully-licensed teams, and benefits from a raft of subtle but important gameplay improvements since the first demo was released in July.

“We wanted to show our hand early with PES 2013 as, frankly, there is a lot to enjoy,” commented Jon Murphy, European PES Team Leader for Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH. “However, we are constantly refining the game and this second demo will show fans that we are always striving for perfection, and they will notice many additions and enhancements that bring PES 2013 even closer to matching the grace, unpredictability and skill that top-level football displays.”

The new demo offers six difficulty settings, and allows the user to play ten-minute matches. Since the first demo, the Tokyo-based PES Productions team has been constantly working to analyse how to improve PES 2013, and the new demo is a perfect example of their quest for football perfection. The game’s balance between offense and defence has been equalised, and the targeting of passes using the game’s feted manual control system has been improved. Similarly, the trajectory of passes has been refined, as has the blocking by defenders, shot speed, and the ways referees officiate – including the overseeing of offside situations.

Critically, the AI when a team is passing out of a defensive situation into a potential attacking one has been fine-tuned – an essential part of a game like PES 2013, where passing and movement are central to build up play. Lobs and looping shots have also been made harder to effect, following feedback from the initial demo. Anthems for the starting line-ups have also been implemented.

With the focus of PES 2013 firmly on the field, the new demo also invites players to tackle a selected number of training trials. The full version of the game offers an exhaustive training roster wherein users can familiarise themselves with quick one-twos, tackling manual shooting and passing and dynamic first-touch moves to gain space on a closing defender. The demo will feature a number of these tests so users can experience the sheer level of control PES 2013 offers
  • and the ways referees officiate
    Hurrah!
    including the overseeing of offside situations.
    Hmmm, does this mean you'll get dodgy decisions now - can see how I'd appreciate that when a near perfect thru-ball comes to nothig because the tip of the forwards nose was offide, can also see how infuriating it'd be for the CPU to nick it in the last minute that way.
  • Also, don't suppose anyone's got a copy of ISS64 lying around they don't want?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!