Pro Evolution Soccer 2013
  • well i've been getting stuck into master league and...i'm pretty sure konami don't actually want people to enjoy the game.  i actually quite enjoy the on-pitch action, certainly in comparison to playing against the AI on past FIFAs, but some of the fluff and bullshit they've put in the master league just slows it down and makes it annoying - and the 'magic boots' are just a minor insignificant part of it so far.
    i can only think of a single element in the master league that is an improvement over what it was 8 years ago, and that is a purely superficial thing - you create a face for your manager, so you see 'yourself' poncing about on the training pitch behind the menus, and gesticulating on the sidelines during the match...

On the pitch though, like i say i am enjoying it.  wrestling with the default master league numpties is good fun... i'm getting my head around tackling so i'm not getting booked all the time, even started getting some succesful crunching sliding tackles in, and haven't had anyone sent off in master league yet!  and i've also already scored more varied and exciting goals than i would in a year of FIFA, including a diving header which i don't think i've managed at all in the last 2 versions of FIFA!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I'm just getting my head around using the right stick to send team mates on a run. It's pretty confusing.
    HA! That was the one element from the demo (and in 12 to be fair) that swung me in the direction of PES, I liked how it worked - you got to chose when to send them running. However, other than that, based on the demos, FIFA is ahead for me. Neither demo did quite enough to hook me last year, but maybe this time.

I only really player 2v2 or 2 co-op so that run direction thing is of no use. From reading comments so far it sounds like PES haven't finally pulled off the amazing game they've been threatening to for so long. Sounds like same old PES.
  • Not given ML a proper go yet, or played much since my online thrashing off SParky, but was showing my mate it on Saturday morning, and had a couple of brilliant games against the PC as NUFC v NUFC.

Scored a tremendous diving header with Ba, which was saved straight into my replays to go along with the 30 yarder from Iniesta and another wondergoal from Ba that I can't quite remember just now.

Can you do anything with your replays other than save them for posterity, is there a way to upload them or send them to someone else?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't think you can upload them straight to YouTube, which is a shame. Only one genuine screamer so far, Cisse flicking it up for himself and smashing it into the top corner from 30 yards.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Keep your money in your sky rocket Reg, there are better things to spend it on than this.

Like Fifa 13.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Out of the frying pan, into the fire.
  • I can't as I'm currently in the 'hate' phase of my relationship with the game. Every team is sitting back against me, so I'm regularly having 60% of the ball and creating chances, just failing to score them. Being clean through gives the same odds of scoring as shooting from 25 yards out. Bullshit. Then they go up the other end and score. Twice.  Finding it a fucking chore at the minute.

I've been up and down with the game all weekend. Loving it, hating it, feeling indifferent... It's love at the minute. Playing a Champions League, semi-final second leg extra time (with PSG). Balls comes out to Nene, skips inside one man and unleashes a howlitzer into the top C. Good start to the day. 

Totally agree with the issues you've raised though, just can't escape the CPU at times and feels like no matter what you do, you will not score. When I've played with the Toon, I've been hating it. Worried that unless you have a great striker of the ball (like Zlatan for PSG), then it's not as fun. Enjoying the online, and the fact that MLO unlocks "items" (shudder) for normal Master League...
  • Reconsidering purchase in light of all this. I'm sure the local MP will be as good as ever but cannot be fucked with the scripted AI and master league menu maze of madness. As long as someone I know picks it up, I'll leave it for another year.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Heh heh - true. They need to do a combination of both. That'd be luvverly.
  • while i'll admit i haven't played long enough for it to really grate, i don't have much issue with the 'scripted' AI so far (nor did I in the past when i played lots of PES)...for starters, it's apparent in all games, PES just tends to be a bit more obvious and use the same scripts.  but mainly it's because they're there to add to the drama...you know if you're only 1-0 up, the last few minutes will be fraught with peril when the AI turns it up a notch, but it's not like they always score or that you're totally helpless...and it works the other way, if you're having a bad game or getting beat, you nearly always get 'one more chance' at the other end, or it will decide it's time your shit player scores a screamer with his weak foot....  basically it's just a bit of manufactured drama that it forces into proceedings, and i for one enjoy it compared to FIFA which tends to lack the extreme highs and lows that PES creates...(when playing against AI opponents)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Problem is, football against the computer is always a bit rubbish. Makes no difference what game it is, it's been the same ever since I was playing ISS on the N64. But they're so perfectly suited to playing against somebody else, whether locally or over the internet, that it doesn't really matter.
    GT: Knight640
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Quite. If you're not playing online (or MP locally), then you're not really playing at all.
  • Nah, you could make that argument for almost any game with an MP / Co-op element - it's always going to be better with / against another person than against the AI, but SP is still where it's at for presumably a significant percentage of consumers.
  • No you couldn't. The nature of football as a game means its versus offering is always going to be much, much better than its single player, almost a completely different game. It's pretty much made for 1v1 versus. A bit like fighting games, against the cpu? meh. Against your mate? Completely different.
    GT: Knight640
  • Yeah i prefer playing co-op against AI than going online to be honest. I don't really like playing online against real people much, i used to when i had loads more free time but now i just like to potter about against an AI that doesn't judge me. ha.
  • Knight wrote:
    No you couldn't. The nature of football as a game means its versus offering is always going to be much, much better than its single player. It's pretty much made for 1v1 versus. A bit like fighting games, against the cpu? meh. Against your mate? Completely different.

1v1 is shit though. Off ball movement is pants, the football becomes very one dimensional and arcadey.

The online 2v2 could be excellent, may well play online more because of that. With 2v2 there's scope for the football to be decent.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    adored wrote:
    Nah, you could make that argument for almost any game with an MP / Co-op element - it's always going to be better with / against another person than against the AI, but SP is still where it's at for presumably a significant percentage of consumers.

Nope, other than FPS and Sport games, I'll SP it up for practically every other genre.

Playing the computer is a complete non-event. If it wasn't for Xbox Live, I'd have stopped playing footy games around the time of PES 5.
  • Thats you though, there are presumably a lot of people buying PES and FIFA an playing offline most of the time.

I didn't say all games, just those with a MP / Co-op element:

Aren't they all better with other people than AI? - Probably

Do a lot of people still just play the SP, no matter how 'broken' people that prefer to play online think they are - Probably
  • Everyone i know plays a bit online but mainly puts hours in to a master league type campaign, its something people have done on football games since before the advent of online play and its a comfort zone thing, plenty of people enjoy playing the AI. If you try and deny that on the basis that it isn't true for you personally and therefore can't be true for anyone ever you are thick.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    adored wrote:
    Thats you though, there are presumably a lot of people buying PES and FIFA an playing offline most of the time. I didn't say all games, just those with a MP / Co-op element: Aren't they all better with other people than AI? - Probably Do a lot of people still just play the SP, no matter how 'broken' people that prefer to play online think they are - Probably

Very true fella.

Opinions are like arseholes....
  • Everyone i know plays a bit online but mainly puts hours in to a master league type campaign, its something people have done on football games since before the advent of online play and its a comfort zone thing, plenty of people enjoy playing the AI. If you try and deny that on the basis that it isn't true for you personally and therefore can't be true for anyone ever you are thick.

This guy speaks sense
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Olimite wrote:
    Quite. If you're not playing online (or MP locally), then you're not really playing at all.
    Well I had a dabble of online last night and it was horse shit. For every match against a guy who picks a similar level team to you leading to a good match there are a hundred brats constantly picking Barcelona and punting it to Messi every time they get it. 

Each to their own and all that.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Olimite wrote:
    Well I had a dabble of online last night and it was horse shit. For every match against a guy who picks a similar level team to you leading to a good match there are a hundred brats constantly picking Barcelona and punting it to Messi every time they get it.  Each to their own and all that.

They're the easiest to play against. Mark him out the game.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    He got one chance from a chipped through ball and buried it. I'd grafted my arse off to create chances that Ba and Shola were fluffing, so it ended one all. I just shook my head in disgust.
  • brats constantly picking Barcelona and punting it to Messi every time they get it.

Desperate times call for desperate measures mate.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ha, you picked the Mills and Boon first up, and picked a few random teams in our games. You didn't just spam through balls to Messi when you chose Barca either.
  • Olimite wrote:
    Well I had a dabble of online last night and it was horse shit. For every match against a guy who picks a similar level team to you leading to a good match there are a hundred brats constantly picking Barcelona and punting it to Messi every time they get it.  Each to their own and all that.

I'll give you a game without being a dickhead, if you've got a 360? Never play online except for MLO for that reason!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ioxdog/loxdog, that's exactly what a dick head would say...

Go on then, tag is in the my networks bit. If I give you a pasting I'd reccomend adding adored to get your pride back.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Lolgasm. I'm just extracting the urine, you got up to standard by the time we finished and humped me in the last match. 

Has anyone done all the training shit? They've added some odd stuff to the set pieces that makes picking out a player from a free kick incredibly easy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!