The TV you like thread
  • Can’t believe nobody’s talked about The Handmaid’s Tale season opener yet.

I liked the change in tone from season two, but I don’t trust this show. I expect them to pull that rug out from under me again soon.
  • poprock wrote:
    Can’t believe nobody’s talked about The Handmaid’s Tale season opener yet.

I liked the change in tone from season two, but I don’t trust this show. I expect them to pull that rug out from under me again soon.

I was getting around to it. It's very different to what has come before, but it's still stunning. That cinematography during the fire was incredible. I'm clueless as to where they are going to take it all - there's so much stuff that needs addressed in a way that isn't an easy cop out that it'll be a feat just making it make sense. Loved it.

Watched Year of the the Rabbit last night - good fun, again not relying on Matt Berry's voice too much but doing some solid daft comedy.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Great doc last night on BBC about the '78 World Cup and Scotland's car crash of a campaign.

I can remember some of it - I was 12 at the time - and the 3rd game when they nearly pulled off a miracle  to get out of the group is still clear in my mind - esp. that 3rd wonder goal by Archie Gemmill.

But I was unaware of what a shambles the whole thing was off the pitch as well. Prob on iPlayer and worth a watch.  Scotland really did have a great team for that tournament - but the hype and expectation was totally over the top.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I’m enjoying Killing Eve S2. Nice of the Beeb to pop it all on iPlayer for binge watching. Sillier than S1, which is saying something.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Finished season 1 of Babylon 5. Not bad. Its growing on me. Not a fan of the Centauri, they seem like the comic relief that the ferengi were in DS9. Vorlon seem interesting but hardly featured in the latter half of season 1. The CGI is very dated and the station doesnt feel like the bustling hive of activity its should be. At times it felt as if three humans were running the entire station by themselves.

Learnt what happen to the actor who plays Commander Sinclair, that's pretty sad. Seen first two epsiodes of season 2, they seem to have addressed the issue of the station not been a busy place and the cgi has improved. I know it's a product of it's time, but it would have been a stronger series without the filler episodes. Some were rather dull and obvious. Anyway I intend to stick with it till the end.

Keep at it. Honestly. It gets so good. The Centauri definitely aren’t comic relief. The arc for them is one of the best.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I’m enjoying Killing Eve S2. Nice of the Beeb to pop it all on iPlayer for binge watching. Sillier than S1, which is saying something.

That’s probably the confirmation I need to skip S2. First series just got too daft for me, thought the ending really shit the bed. Shame really but no shortage of good TV out there right now.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Classic Cosby
  • JJ S3 now on Netflix, apparently. That'll be next once I finish S2 of Happy!
  • I couldn't finish S2 of JJ.
  • I’m looking forward to it. End of the era for Netflix/Marvel shows, which have generally been great fun.
  • The Chef Show on Netflix is great.
    Jon Favreau director and star of the movie Chef teams up with Roy Choi, the man whose story Chef is loosely based and who trained Favreau for the movie.

They cook a bunch of stuff shown in the movie as well as meeting like minded chefs, operators of food vans and some celebs.

Get past the opening 10 minutes with Gwyneth Paltrow and the show really opens up.

The last couple of episodes are based with the guy who runs the brisket smoking business in the movie, who isnt actually an actor but a bloke that smokes brisket.
  • I’m into that. Really liked the movie too – it’s not often you get a film that’s just nice.
  • Yeah I am a big fan of the movie.
    They mention it in the show but Choi taught Favreau how to make everything to the standard depicted in the movie including all the proper techniques so it's super authentic but also really got Favreau into cooking to a high standard.
  • I like how they show the ingredients in the dishes.
  • LivDiv wrote:

Get past the opening 10 minutes with Gwyneth Paltrow and the show really opens up.

That's too big an ask.
  • Haha.
    Fast forward is fine.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    The Chef Show on Netflix is great.
    Jon Favreau director and star of the movie Chef teams up with Roy Choi, the man whose story Chef is loosely based and who trained Favreau for the movie.

They cook a bunch of stuff shown in the movie as well as meeting like minded chefs, operators of food vans and some celebs.

The last couple of episodes are based with the guy who runs the brisket smoking business in the movie, who isnt actually an actor but a bloke that smokes brisket.

I couldn't get past Gwyneth Paltrow.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hah, just saw previous reply. Guess I'm not alone. She was awful, going on about her gloop or glop or whatever.
  • Definitely just skip past her, the other celebs are better and the chefs are all great.
    Bill Burr is after Paltrow iirc.
  • Billions binge complete as of last night. Super ridiculous but great show. Satisfactory, full circle cliffhanger ending. Bring on s5.
  • The finale to S4 was a cracker. Really satisfying.
  • Watched an episode of that I Think You Should Leave drivel on Netflix. What a load of absolute fucking shite.

Clearly from the name it thinks it’s edgy and envelope pushing. It’s just dross.

Worst thing is, it’s going to sit there in my ‘keep watching’ list forever more, annoying me with it’s existence.
  • I'm sure you can remove it from your viewed list in the settings. That will get rid of it for you.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You guys are nuts. Paltrow was utterly inoffensive.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Watching The Virtues. Is indeed very good. I do like me a bit of non-scripted shizzle (and including not-actors??), definitely makes it feel more real, especially scenes with kids and stuff.

It's like Curb, but with comedy replaced by sorrow. There's ya box quote.
  • There's plenty of humour in there. It's like Mike Leigh trying to pull Ken Loach out the swamps of sadness.
  • New series and new hosts on Top gear were actually enjoyable.
  • Not sure where The Handmaid’s Tale S3 is going yet. The first episode was strong, not sold on the second.
  • Watching Chernobyl and The Good Place. Dark and light.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    The Chef Show on Netflix is great.

Yeah, this is great. Three episodes just flew by, Paltrow included.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!