#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The film wasn’t great, but it did at least have Zooey Deschanel in pajamas.
    Get schwifty.
  • Hitch-hiker’s Guide was amazing in its time. I listened to the radio play hundreds and hundreds of times as a kid. The TV show was a tone-perfect adaptation. 

The recent(ish) film was an abomination, unfortunately. That peculiarly British sense of deadpan sci-fi humour simply can’t translate to an international megabudget movie. It doesn’t work. They tried, bless ’em. Stephen Fry was a good shout as the book. Zooey Deschanel was a good Trillian. Sam Rockwell actually made a decent Zaphod Beeblebrox. But that aside, it was a trainwreck. Even Bill Nighy was mis-cast.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Why is David Tennant playing Bill Nighy?
    That's what I said! :)
    Glad it wasn't just me that saw it.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Hail Satan!
    Get schwifty.
  • Finished Parks and Recreation

Wow. Thank you to whoever it was who introduced me (and subsequently my partner) to this. I'm generally not into comedies and was suspicious at the start. The first season had a few funny moments but I found Lesley boarder line annoying not funny. Then S2 it clicked. It's not really about Lesley, it's about everyone else around her. It was like that moment  as a kid you figure out that Homer is more important than Bart. The interplay of the characters, the sincerity in which they speak to eachother, it's so so natural. You feel like it's spontaneous and feel like it's true. 

The characters are all brilliant, the repetition (but not over kill) of jokes is brilliant. The final episodes nod to "library" was the icing on the cake - in a good way. By the third and fourth series you know the characters so well you can anticipate how they will react to things, how they will talk and what they will say. Again, this is no bad thing. Most scenes end in a smile and some episodes had me laughing to the point of tears in my eyes. 

The piss-taking reminds me of the office banter (sorry I don't usually like that word) that we have in my office. Without it we wouldn't be as close. It's the familiarity of being able to insult or take the piss or challenge eachother than makes people get closer. The sense of achievement solidifies this. 

Lesley and her waffles, Ron and his meat, Tom and his money, Donna and treat yo self, Andy and shoe shining/karate, April and her dislike for everything (kinda!), Ben not getting little sebastien, Anne Purkins, Anne Purkins, Anne Purkins, and Chris, literally the happiest guy in the world. John Ralfiao and his money grabbing sister, Jam the Jamster, the Douches fart noises, Jerry and his names/clumsyness and hot wife! Tammy! Run!! 

It's been emotional, i've loved almost every episode. I'm so sad it's at an end. Brilliant, top tier TV.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I only discovered Parks and Recreation last year, also thanks to recommendations on here, and I have to say I fell in love with it too. It’s was just nice to watch a show where just about everyone is just so thoroughly likeable.
    Get schwifty.
  • Good Omens:

The poor dears.  What are facts to believers?
  • So Catch 22 was magnificent. Screams class from every pore, to mix a metaphor.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Getting a bit fed up of The Handmaid's Tale. It better get to some kind of conclusion this season or I've had enough.
  • Kow wrote:
    Getting a bit fed up of The Handmaid's Tale. It better get to some kind of conclusion this season or I've had enough.

Bad news for you then, it's planned for 5 seasons. I'm still really enjoying it - Commander Lawrence is looking to be a great character.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bah.
  • Kow wrote:
    moo.

• Gremill wrote:
    Commander Lawrence is looking to be a great character.

I disagree. I think he’s looking like a great actor making something good out of a pretty shoddily sketched character.
  • What's not interesting about him? An architect of Gilead, who should by all rights be a zealot, helping the very women he helped subjugate - what is his motivation? Why is he swinging between benevolence and rage?

Where you see shoddily sketched, I see conflict, contradiction and a back story begging to be told.

What a great actor though, forever known as Josh Lyman.
  • is this Gilead any resemblance of Stephen Kings Gilead?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • No. It's a biblical name/region.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Where you see shoddily sketched, I see conflict, contradiction and a back story begging to be told. What a great actor though, forever known as Josh Lyman.

I guess I just don’t have faith that the backstory will get told. I hope to be proven wrong!
  • I hope they do, it'll be a missed opportunity if they don't. The fact that he created the society which led to his wife's breakdown and is now slowly rebelling against it is fascinating.

Why did he do it on the first place? Did he lose his faith? Or did he never have it? Was it all just a grand social experiment that he had the opportunity to implement as an impassive scientist/observer and now it's gotten out of his control? Why is everyone, even the highest echelons of Gilead, terrified of him? What on earth did he do to make even Aunt Lydia scared of him?

Could he be a Mengele turning into a Schindler? Or something else? Can't wait to find out.
  • Mentioned it on twitter yesterday but I was recently looking up the best bits of Mark Lamarr on Never Mind The Buzzcocks. He was absolutely brilliant. Timing, impeccable. The fucking id parade names... Streams of tears. The unassailable peak of panel shows.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Lamarr was magnificent in that. He was also a superb foil in Shooting Stars.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Buzzcocks turned shit as soon as Lamarr left. He was the core of that show. Can’t bear Amstel.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The guest selection was always an inspired mix - I think that was the first programme I saw Bill Bailey on.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I thought Amstel was great. So was Lamar, TBF, although I always found Lamar pretty unlikeable.

Peak of panel shows for me is probably a toss-up between Would I Lie to You and early Have I Got News for You. Taskmaster does get an honourable mention too.
  • I'm enjoying the Ranganation thing, interplay with the group and his mum is hilarious (to me anyhow)

Started Elementary on Prime. Love myself some holmes so lapping it up like a thirsty dog despite the acting being mediocre.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I thought Amstel was great. So was Lamar, TBF, although I always found Lamar pretty unlikeable.

I have enjoyed Lamar’s shows more when I’ve watched them later than I did at the time. Amstel’s delivery meant that he could say things far closer to the bone while not seeming as attacking.
  • I didn't get Amstell at first but he grew on me. Some of his put downs are incredible.
    The show with the bloke from the Ordinary Boys is an all timer.
  • "Oh no, Preston is leaving!"
  • lol

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!