The TV you like thread
  • Killing Eve was good. Finished it off last night and the last two episodes were really strong. Good stuff from BBC America.
  • The Virtues was excellent. Stephen Graham has to be one of our finest actors.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If by “our” you mean “the world’s” then yes.
  • Against my better judgement I watched the new Top Gear even though I intensely dislike Paddy.

You know what? It was brainlessly amusing without being mindlessly offensive - which is all you can ask for really.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Virtues episode three
    Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Second season of Big Little Lies seems decent so far. Whole cast are generally unlikable, especially new addition Meryl Streep as deranged grieving mother. I didn't know how they could continue from season 1 but apparently they can.
  • Apparently it was only written as a single season. Following it up wasn’t part of the original plan.
  • Do TV detector vans actually exist?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Didnt they only detect crt?
  • It was certainly of that time but I don't see how any of them could do it, either now or then.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Do TV detector vans actually exist?

Vans do. They're empty.
  • Yeh, they used to drive around but there isn't a way of detecting a TV. 
    I had one knock on my door when I was a kid, told me there was a TV on in the house, there wasn't, I was doing something else. 
    Cheeky fucker wanted a 14yr old, alone, to let him in to look around, I told him to go away.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Quality ending to Billions this season. Sets up nicely for the next. Not a huge amount happens in billions but it’s just so slick
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Also finished Chernobyl.

Great tv but bleak as fuck and I can’t believe it was in our lifetime
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    Quality ending to Billions this season. Sets up nicely for the next. Not a huge amount happens in billions but it’s just so slick

Yep, loved that finale. Billions and The Good Fight have consistently been my favourite shows over the past few years.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Against my better judgement I watched the new Top Gear even though I intensely dislike Paddy. You know what? It was brainlessly amusing without being mindlessly offensive - which is all you can ask for really.
    I watched it and it was good fun, though in these modern sensible/sensitive times, wondered if it got a bit too close to 'lads lads' locker room style 'banter and hazing'.  Chemistry between the 3 seemed good though.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • That's S2 of Happy! done. Not as strong or funny as the first but it still entertained. Assuming there's a S3 I'm hoping Meloni gets to go back to demented S1 Sax, not Family Man S2 Sax. Given that he's
    Spoiler:
    that seems quite possible.
  • Last few days I have watched the first two episodes of Good Omens (very average); and six of the first series of Killing Eve (really rather good.  Consistency of quirkiness is all over the place, but plenty in the last two).
  • Glenn Howeron and Rob McElhenney are having a fake spat over Instagram story over who is directing the first episode of the new Sunny series.

It is brilliant, they are playing it exactly like Dennis and Mac.
  • Quite enjoying Good Omens - I've never been a huge fan of Pratchett's so my expectations were reasonably low. It's good fun though - a great cast, some good lines and some big ideas make it very watchable. It's also being thoroughly enjoyed by my 10yo, you can see his imagination sparking constantly as he watches - which unfortunately leads to him constantly asking questions.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I didn't think it was marvelous buy I enjoyed it all the same. I don't know who thought letting Jack Whitehall in it was a good idea though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The story of British TV over the past decade, unfortunately.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I managed to sleep through the last two episodes of Good Omens at the weekend. Not sure I can be bothered to go back and watch them really. It wasn’t very good and overburdened with some very dodgy acting. Beyond that I’m just not sure that the story was all that good; either that or it’s just one of those stories that doesn’t translate very well from page to screen.
    Get schwifty.
  • Why is David Tennant playing Bill Nighy?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's series like Good Omens that make me wonder why people would bother going to the effort of making something that won't be anywhere near as good as the book. Just read the book. It's seems a book can't be considered successful unless someone has tried to film it. Poor television contributing to illiteracy.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Why is David Tennant playing Bill Nighy?
    Presumably because Bill Nighy is too old for the role. He would have been subtler, which would have improved things.

I’ve only watched the first couple of episodes but I can already tell Good Omens is the best Pratchett adaptation to date … but remains not very good. As always, it’s overacted, overplayed, overdone. No subtlety at all. Adaptations of his stuff always feel like a hammer, where the books were a gentle nudge. They’re amusing dramas being played as brash pantomimes. Ruins them every time.

I think it’s caused by people wanting to make them like Hitch-hiker’s Guide, when they’re not like that at all.
  • Yes, God reminded me of The Guide.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yep. When the very first episode started the way it did I did an inward groan. Story aside, the whole thing just felt very derivative.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    . I think it’s caused by people wanting to make them like Hitch-hiker’s Guide, when they’re not like that at all.

The old BBC TV series of Hitchhikers was rather enjoyable. Probably because of the budget and the tech of the day that kept the effects from getting out of control. Quite a few of the radio cast were used and the acting is top notch. Even small parts like the Major Cow giving advice on how best to eat him was superbly played. The Hollywood film looks dreadful - didn't even bother with it.

And that Good Omens thing just doesn't look appealing at all. There's something about David Tennant that annoys me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Peter Jones was excellent as the book.  The TV series and the radio series are brilliant.

The film was dreadful.  Couldn't get further than 20 mins.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!