The TV you like thread
  • Gremill wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Has anyone been watching Harry Hills World of TV? It's fucking great, peak Harry. He analyses a different TV genre every week using archive footage and being Harry Hill to make it absolutely hilarious.
    Where and when? This sounds brilliant.
    BBC2.
    Brill, now go to the top of the class for this.
  • The Third Day is nuts, isn’t it? Very Wicker Man. I’m going to tune in for some of the 12-hour live thing tomorrow.
  • So I started counterpart because I was waiting for ep10 of raised by wolves. I'm now nearly done with s1 of counterpart before I've done rbw.

Its awesome.

Set in Berlin. I know all the locales. Cast is best of British, plus a bunch of German folks from Babylon Berlin.

Toby from westwing too.

Great stuff.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    And JK Simmons, don't forget him.
  • Well quite, but I figured thats obvious.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Not if you've never heard of it.
  • Going in for the final ep now.
  • Sometimes I just think you hit random on an online dictionary, post a random verb or noun, and pretend it’s a TV show you’re watching Face
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Aardvark. Great series.
  • poprock wrote:
    The Third Day is nuts, isn’t it? Very Wicker Man. I’m going to tune in for some of the 12-hour live thing tomorrow.

I think tolerance for this live broadcast will depend on how you feel about immersive theatre. I’ve had it on in the background most of the morning and it’s very much ambient atmosphere with the occasional scheduled ‘happening’.

The most activity I’ve caught so far was a sort of breakfast version of the last supper at a table half-submerged in the sea. Visually striking, if nothing else.

Lots of bizarre ritual, but much more watching people slowly set up said rituals. Right now it’s a close up shot of two carved effigies tied to a tree.

Hard to say much more without spoilering the prior three-episode series.
  • g.man wrote:
    Finally some good news...

Watched this last night. Very well observed satire as ever.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • poprock wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    The Third Day is nuts, isn’t it? Very Wicker Man. I’m going to tune in for some of the 12-hour live thing tomorrow.

I think tolerance for this live broadcast will depend on how you feel about immersive theatre. I’ve had it on in the background most of the morning and it’s very much ambient atmosphere with the occasional scheduled ‘happening’.

The most activity I’ve caught so far was a sort of breakfast version of the last supper at a table half-submerged in the sea. Visually striking, if nothing else.

Lots of bizarre ritual, but much more watching people slowly set up said rituals. Right now it’s a close up shot of two carved effigies tied to a tree.

Hard to say much more without spoilering the prior three-episode series.

Stumbled across this today not knowing a thing about it. I was really enjoying it but family had other thoughts.
  • Kow wrote:
    Aardvark. Great series.

V good but more people should have lolled.
  • ***casually slopes off to double check there isn't an Aardvark on Netflix and I've the wrong end of the stick****
  • n0face wrote:
    Stumbled across this today not knowing a thing about it. I was really enjoying it but family had other thoughts.

They’re really torturing Jude Law. This is all improvised and right now he looks absolutely fucked. Stripped to a pair of shorts, forced to wear a diver’s helmet / crown of thorns affair and drag a wrecked boat the length of the island. Man can hardly walk at this point, and they’re making him listen to Florence Welch sing pagan ritual songs.

• I hope I’m not the only one watching this. It’s been quite good in places. The rave was fun. Now it seems to have turned into beltane.
  • Started Ratchet. I am not as wedded to the source as say Alien but even ignoring baggage this is awful.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Correct. And it gets much worse and stupider.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I thought it started really badly and improved as it went along. I didn’t love it or anything, and it’s imperative you forget its connection with One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest—in tone it’s a million miles away—but thought it was an okay, schlocky slice nonsense. It’s basically an American Horror Story reskin.
    Get schwifty.
  • I know I'm just echoing what Kow said but the score really is offensively bad.
  • Back to Shitt's Creek.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I thought it started really badly and improved as it went along. I didn’t love it or anything, and it’s imperative you forget its connection with One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest—in tone it’s a million miles away—but thought it was an okay, schlocky slice nonsense. It’s basically an American Horror Story reskin.

How am I supposed to forget Cuckoo's Nest when the only reason anybody is watching it is because of that connection? It's specifically telling you it's about that every time her name is mentioned. There's literally no other reason to watch it. They made it about her so damn right I'm not going to forget.
  • So this 3rd Day is a few normal episodes and then some crazy 12 hour improv thing?
    When I googled it, it came up with a list of episodes
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:

How am I supposed to forget Cuckoo's Nest when the only reason anybody is watching it is because of that connection? It's specifically telling you it's about that every time her name is mentioned. There's literally no other reason to watch it. They made it about her so damn right I'm not going to forget.

Ooookay then. It was easy for me to do because it was immediately clear it had no interest in honouring the source. I just treated it as its own thing. I’m not making lots of excuses for it; it wasn’t great. I just didn’t think it was as bad as you made it out to be.
    Get schwifty.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well apart from the connection it was also ridiculously stupid as well. I could list the bewilderingly bad decisions and plot points and totally pointless characters but I can't get the spoiler tags to work on desk top for some reason.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    You needn’t bother anyway. It’s trashy, ridiculous, switch-your-brain-off stuff. I know that. If you’ve ever seen a season of American Horror Story you know exactly what to expect. I’m okay with watching something silly every now and then. And I enjoyed watching Sharon Stone chewing up the scenery.
    Get schwifty.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Raz hitting the head on the toilet there, Ratchet is over the top hammy horror and knows what it's doing. If Verhoven was serving up these tropes, would we praising it's exaggerated self awareness?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I wouldn't have watched it all except for the Ratched name. It would have passed me by. There is absolutely no reason for that name to be on there and it's a huge insult to the film and the book. And also, even as some trashy horror series, it's just plain shite.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There's Raised by Wolves just finished then. Fucking lol
  • So this 3rd Day is a few normal episodes and then some crazy 12 hour improv thing?
    When I googled it, it came up with a list of episodes

Three parts.

Summer: three normal episodes.
    Autumn: crazy 12-hour immersive theatre piece.
    Winter: three normal episodes (starts on Tuesday).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!