The TV you like thread
  • Fuck the both of ye
  • Charming.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Tempy wrote:
    Fuck the both of ye

GLOW is consistently excellent, Ive no idea what they are smoking.
  • You both think series 2 is as good as series 1? Come on now.
  • I liked S2 more than S1, it had the better emotional payoff.
  • It's 7/10 programming from start to finish. Pleasant enough. But I'm disappointed they won't get to wrap things up.
  • Well, that sucks about Raised By Wolves. Started it last night and the first few eps are solid.

The mithraics look a bit hammy though.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    3 episodes in and it's ok. Gf doesn't much like scifi so I might never see any more.
  • I'm at the same point. Surely your wife can pay you back some RbW I return for the Ratched fiasco?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That was the deal, actually, yes. But now I'm worried I'm wasting my points on something that will turn out to be shite.
  • There’s shite and then there’s shite.

Mrs Poprock has been watching Emily in Paris on Netflix. It might be the worst thing ever broadcast on television. The reviewer on 6Music the other day called it exactly that. The Guardian gave it one star, and even that grudgingly.

It manages to be facile, insulting, ignorant, racist and intensely annoying every single episode. I had a quick Google and predictably American critics seem to think it’s great.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    New HBO series Patria, set in the Basque Country, is really very good. Told over two time periods, with ETA violence breaking friends and families apart, and a stellar turn by Elena Irureta (who I've never even heard of before) playing both the older and younger character. Unfortunately it's the typical HBO bollocks of only releasing one episode a week so there are only 3 available so far.
  • Third chapter of The Third Day started tonight and … it’s still good. Different star, different story, different director, same setting. Saw the end-of-episode reveal coming way back from the end of chapter one though. It’ll be interesting to see where this goes.
  • Does Ozark get better as it goes along? I've watched pretty much all of the first season and whilst it is okay it certainly feels a bit slap dash when you compare it to similar shows like Better Call Saul or Fargo. It's kind of been weird how there hasn't been much indication of the time that's passed or his progress with what he needs to do. I find that the bits with tension are only really built that way by the music and not by the editing or the shots.

Maybe I'm being harsh but after the last season of BCS had me holding my breath through some stuff and watching Fargo and seeing the amount of effort they go to in adding style and quality to the presentation, this kind of feels like a crime Dawson's Creek. It doesn't have me clamouring to watch the other seasons.
  • It's more of a slow burner, with a few big yikes! moments interspersed in-between.  Comparing it to other series, well that's a thing, but I just enjoyed it on its own merits - if you buy into that 'family circling the wagons' against all-comers, then it becomes compulsive viewing. And then there's Julia Garner.

Jason Bateman's dead-eyed accountant spinning too many plates and Laura Linney's transformation into a bulldog mom taking on all the rednecks; it's a delightful middle class take on Breaking Bad. (There, I compared it to another series too!)
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I think it's my fault for watching it not that long after the others. I'll probably keep going as I like Bateman and it's something I can watch without concentrating too much.
  • It's never quite had the quality of a BCS or whatever, but there's plenty to like about it.
  • I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It can be difficult to see past Breaking Bad, at least initially, but it's worth giving it a shot.  And then, as mentioned earlier, there's Julia Garner, who's magnificent.
  • It's a tier below the best of its kind for me but still up there with the best. I thought s2 was a slog admittedly but worth powering through.
  • I’ll echo all the above. Second-tier thriller stuff, but definitely top of that second tier. Season two is a dip, three’s back on form, and Julia Garner is fucking outstanding throughout.
  • i'm still going through Cheers i'm mid way through season 5. A couple of episodes back I was on the train coming home from work and I was laughing so hard the woman in the seat turned around to check I was ok. I assume she wanted to check I was also wearing a mask. 

As a program it's brilliant, it really really nails witty comebacks. The formulaic elements from Norms entry to Carla's putdowns on Cliff. Woody always getting the wrong end of the stick and Diane's continual thirst for the arts only to realise she's a terrible poet/ballet dancer/writer/singer et al :) 

Episodes are short so you rarely get bored and the next funny line is never more than about 5 minutes away. 

I'm about half way through the whole thing but so far Cheers is 10/10.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I watched a load of Cheers at uni, it was in the midday slot on CH4 or such, just in time to drag myself out of bed, grab a Full Monty breakfast bap from the corner, then back on the sofa with a doob just in time to not go to lectures and watch Cheers instead. Time I revisited.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Cheers is one of the few series that keeps the quality up right to the end and never resorts to cheap sentimentality like so many American sitcoms did back then. Probably top of my list of 30 minute sitcom things.
  • Kow wrote:
    That was the deal, actually, yes. But now I'm worried I'm wasting my points on something that will turn out to be shite.

Up to ep 7, heading fast into the danger zone.

Counterpart people, what platform is it on?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's HBO here so probably Sky there.
  • Damn... couldn't have been one of my subscribed services!
  • Kow wrote:

Up to ep 7, heading fast into the danger zone.

Counterpart people, what platform is it on?

I'm the only counterpart. It's a Starz series. I yarred it, so can't help with which legit thing it's on.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • If it's Starz, it's probably the Starz add on for Amazon Prime then.
  • Still not one of my subscriptions!  I'm probably going the same route as you, then, Face.
  • Amazon might have it?
    I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!