The TV you like thread
  • At least Taboo was good on Saturday night. The weekend’s telly was not a dead loss.
  • poprock wrote:
    This morning I’m still annoyed by how shit Sherlock was. It’s fallen into the same trap as Doctor Who and the Avengers movies. Every time it comes around, it needs to be such a big event that solving a crime isn’t enough. Saving a life isn’t enough. It has to be THE END OF DAYS or REVELATIONS ABOUT SHERLOCK’S PAST or fucking pulling the rug out from under previous parts of the story. Sherlock has been crushed by the weight of its own self importance. I blame Moffat, the egomaniac. On top of all that, though, last night’s was just bloody awful storytelling. Tripe.
    Yup.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • On a happier note, iBoy looks fun despite the shit title. Could be another winner from Netflix.
  • Finished The Good Wife .

Christ on a bike. For a show that I enjoyed the majority of, with a bunch of characters I liked for the most part, what a terrible terrible final ep.

Will maybe write more tomorrow. Hit a sweet spot for a good few seasons in the middle, but fuck me.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Yup.

Which is why Elementary has ended up being the better series. Didn’t see that coming.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Finished The Good Wife . Christ on a bike. For a show that I enjoyed the majority of, with a bunch of characters I liked for the most part, what a terrible terrible final ep. Will maybe write more tomorrow. Hit a sweet spot for a good few seasons in the middle, but fuck me.
    It was apt though. For a programme that spent the last few years just sort of fizzling out.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    This morning I’m still annoyed by how shit Sherlock was. It’s fallen into the same trap as Doctor Who and the Avengers movies. Every time it comes around, it needs to be such a big event that solving a crime isn’t enough. Saving a life isn’t enough. It has to be THE END OF DAYS or REVELATIONS ABOUT SHERLOCK’S PAST or fucking pulling the rug out from under previous parts of the story. Sherlock has been crushed by the weight of its own self importance. I blame Moffat, the egomaniac. On top of all that, though, last night’s was just bloody awful storytelling. Tripe.
    Yup.

The title sequence really hammers home that it used to be a shoe about crime largely in London, where the city played a small part like it did in the books.
    Spoiler:
  • The wee montage at the end was better (and more ‘Sherlock’ in tone) than the entire hour and a half which preceded it.
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Re: the montage
    Spoiler:
  • poprock wrote:
    The wee montage at the end was better (and more ‘Sherlock’ in tone) than the entire hour and a half which preceded it.
    Spoiler:
    Yeah if this is the last one (and I hope it is) its been one giant missed opportunity. While the most recent two haven't been great, they've been more in line with what I've wanted from the series - Sherlock Holmes solving a case. But every episode they've made since the first series has gone off in weird bromance directions, a lot of stuff about Watson's wife, terrible Moriarty episodes, pointless hooks, gimmicks and set ups without any pay offs. 

It's very weird really. It's a programme that tells a story about a case but thinks its better than that so tells one or two additional stories about how much Watson means to Sherlock or something, and gets bogged down in trying to be clever with that. The original story gets fudged and the other story goes off the rails when the twist comes in. Then it ends and you've got no idea what you've just watched, you just know that most of it was crap.
  • So, better despite
    Spoiler:
  • Sherlock remains the benchmark for showing text messages, emails, etc on screen in a way that actually works.

So that’s still in its favour, at least.
  • JonB wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Finished The Good Wife . Christ on a bike. For a show that I enjoyed the majority of, with a bunch of characters I liked for the most part, what a terrible terrible final ep. Will maybe write more tomorrow. Hit a sweet spot for a good few seasons in the middle, but fuck me.
    It was apt though. For a programme that spent the last few years just sort of fizzling out.

Maybe, no less annoying though.

• Oh, started Between. Thought it was gonna be some YA shite, but found out that it's from the people who did 24. A couple of episodes in and it appears to be a government conspiracy story, so looking forward to it now.

It's basically killer disease that no once can figure out, but it only kills people over 21, and the government might have been responsible. The remaining people in the town are walled in Escape from New York style.
  • Facewon wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Not excited for the spin off then?

• There might still be some life left in it with a different perspective. Mayber.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    First chink in Quarry's armour:
    Spoiler:

Other than that, it's fucking sublime. Proper characters! Fucking hell!
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events seems good.
  • First chinknin Quarry's armour:
    Spoiler:
    Other than that, it's fucking sublime. Proper characters! Fucking hell!
    hahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I_R wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Not excited for the spin off then?

No, although bringing back Luka (sp?) is a good idea.

I guess I'll spoiler this:
    Spoiler:
    Anyhoo, really unsatisfying and disappointing end to what was a good fun series for a while in the middle. 

The judges were the highlight for the whole series, probably. Amazing.
  • I really liked Sherlock. Scary and fun.
  • Liking taboo. Boy needs a shower.
  • Comes from my job I think. My eyes are always darting around the screen, analysing everything. It is my biggest problem with 3D films, I'm not always looking at what the director wants me to look at.
    Spoiler:
    Re the spoiler, it's probably felt, napped to be a bit rough.
    The only reason I think so is because lady pantyfire has been doing a hat course and blocking felt hats. You can do them in 2 pieces the crown and the brim, the brim was just left alone.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I know where you can get felt.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    What we've all been waiting for:

• So apparently Netflix has a new comedy series where Drew Barrymore is a cannibal?
  • I watched Snatch for the first time in aaaages a few weeks ago - it was a good laugh.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Is it called Eatie?

Top class

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!