The TV you like thread
  • lipsyncbattleuk.jpg Fear not, James! There's a UK version too! Hosted by Mel "oh fuck I've already beaten the legacy of the world's biggest girl band's horse with the biggest stick for years and the taxman is coming" B, and all round general shithawk Professor Green, who's like, a cheekie chappy innit. Cos he's got tattoos. But he also raps about REAL things, like hangovers, and having tattoos. Cos he's got tattoos. You'll love it!

Good Lord, that's every kind of awful.

I hate how British TV takes already shoddy, low-brow Yank ideas and proceeds to remake them with charisma-less stars, a po-face, an even lower brow and a budget of 38p per episode. Then they wonder why EVERYTHING LOOKS AND SOUNDS LIKE UTTER GARBAGE OH MY SWEET GOODNESS I HATE THIS WORLD BURN EVERYTHING BURN IT ALL.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • If only.

Guy asked for the complete Corrie boxset recently..

"Sorry... You want a boxset that contains every episode of Corrie ever made??"
    "aye mate dae ye huv it"

You should have spent 15 minutes trying to source the single disc limited edition for him.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I started watching Vikings on Netflix with zero expectations and I'm hooked. Haven't investigated this but the theme song sounds like that Swedish group the knife.
    Peter3C
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I watched the first episode years ago and enjoyed it but never went back. Might give it another go.
  • Watch The Last Kingdom first if you haven't seen it already. It's like Vikings, but with people who can act.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Watch The Last Kingdom first if you haven't seen it already. It's like Vikings, but with people who can act.
    Ouch!! I mean it's not game of thrones but it's entertaining enough and the main character rangor or whatever the feck has a certain brutish charisma. Think he was a model or something before so maybe he didn't go full method!! Quite a few of my female friends are nuts about him. Last kingdom is on my to watch list..
    Peter3C
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Watch The Last Kingdom first if you haven't seen it already. It's like Vikings, but with people who can act.

I'm watching Vikings to fill the Uhtred void. It does a fine job.
  • That's not to say models can't be great actors...
    Peter3C
  • Too late, modellist.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • The guy from Vikings really doesn't have much range, but is much more believable than the guy from The Last Kingdom. All he needs to do is brood, look furious and be charismatic.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Too late, modellist.

Snared, feck!
    Peter3C
  • Theme song from Vikings is if I had a heart by fever ray, a member of the knife if memory serves me well. Nice tune. Just an itch I had to scratch.
    Peter3C
  • I'm watching Battlestar again with the girlfriend, and we're tearing through it at some rate. A lot of it is a bit ropey by today's standards - we've also just watched Black Market aka the worst episode of the whole show - but by and large it's surprising how compelling it still is. I bounce of a lot of new shows, and there is far too much stuff clamouring for attention, or demanding I go back to it because I watch way more films than I watch TV. 

Given that it was happening during that transitional period from good TV to Quality TV, it's holding up pretty well. The cliffhanger at the end of Season 1 made us both physically jump because it's a great bit of dramatic punctuation, and season 2 manages itself really well. The whole pressure cooker feeling of the fleet is excellent, and Pegasus turning up is a real high point with Admiral Cain working as a great, if maybe a little too nasty, foil for Adama. 

So far it has tackled a lot of heavy stuff, and I know from past watching that it only gets heavier. It really is a great little emotional wringer, and as the GF pointed out last night, it manages to present you with lots of positions on the events of the show through characters that you don't always agree with, but feel very easy to understand because they are really quite well rounded even if they appear to be quite shallow on the surface. Also I know it ends quite weakly, but early on the religious stuff is great. It 's a topic you don't see dealt with too much, and it's doing the traditional SciFi thing of using its novum to analyse contemporary America. Easy to see now, but I wonder what the reaction was back then.
  • Black Market was the episode when I gave up on watching it I think. Seemed like a few episodes in a row where the quality just keeps sinking.
  • Black Market is a bad one. Epiphanies is right before it, but it isn't awful, it just suffers from being right after Pegasus and Resurrection Ship 1&2 which work as a brilliant three parter.
  • When even the guy who made it slagged it off before it had aired, you know it can't be good.
  • I stopped at the of season 3...the end irritated me such that I couldn't be bothered to start season 4 and now i've left it so long I can't muster the energy to go back*.  But for long stretches before that I did think it was totally excellent.

*no spoilers though (forever) just in case i do go back one day! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I watched all of Battlestar Galactica, not sure why I bothered sticking with it, TBH.
  • I gave up long before the end, Moore had burned me before with DS9, I wasn't slogging away again for that sort of resolution.

Sepinwall's reviews are still on his old blog, he liked it, but he liked Lost as well. I think he'd be one of the earlier people doing this sort of stuff. The finale comments seem divided, but in not too dumb a way, his comments nowadays always seem filed with people on the verge of a nervous breakdown because he doesn't like their favourite show.
  • I didn't like the end of BSG. Twas a bit shit.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Black Market is a bad one. Epiphanies is right before it, but it isn't awful, it just suffers from being right after Pegasus and Resurrection Ship 1&2 which work as a brilliant three parter.
    Yeah I was wrong. I've just looked at the episode list. 'Scar', the next episode, was when I stopped watching. I might be wrong again, but it seemed to more or less be a serial up until that point, or at least did well at developing the story slightly with each episode, but then those two are very weak filler episodes.

It's not like I stopped watching on a point of principle or anything. I've always meant to watch the rest but never actually sat down to do it.

• bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Fond memories of BSG, plan to leave them intact.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • monkey wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Black Market is a bad one. Epiphanies is right before it, but it isn't awful, it just suffers from being right after Pegasus and Resurrection Ship 1&2 which work as a brilliant three parter.
    Yeah I was wrong. I've just looked at the episode list. 'Scar', the next episode, was when I stopped watching. I might be wrong again, but it seemed to more or less be a serial up until that point, or at least did well at developing the story slightly with each episode, but then those two are very weak filler episodes.

It's not like I stopped watching on a point of principle or anything. I've always meant to watch the rest but never actually sat down to do it.

Black Market and Scar are rotten yep.

I'm happy to go against the grain for BSG, because it seems I tend to go to bat for these kinds of shows. Id rather watch flawed mentallness in space than another show about cops. Facile, aye, but everyone is catered for so it doesn't harm anyone.

• Ahah, Asif Mandvi is Uncle Monty in A Series of Unfortunate Events. This keeps getting better.
  • Twice I've been tearing through Battlestar apace and ground to a halt around about the big camp. I just can't push through it.
  • The first episodes
    Spoiler:
    is a fucking great set up for a show.
    Spoiler:
  • About halfway through season 2 of The Americans and is really reaching the top tier of TV now. Every episode is a belter, with the last one we watched a particularly emotional and brutal episode.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!