Super Meat Boy etc - Forever is OUT NOW!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I cleared world one last night, frustrated with the
    Spoiler:
    deaths on the first boss, despite knowing exactly what to do. Age has caught me at 36.

vZelqCSUOZAv.gif

But I'm enjoying it for the £6 it cost me. Glad I bought the og on switch in the current sale too.
  • Yeah that boss didn't feel right at all.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but at this stage I'm guessing it builds you a complete game for every new save file.  Obviously this is what most rogues do

Hate to keep acting like Mr Rogue at secondary school, but this is rarely the case with rogues. It’s usually per attempt, not per save file. Along with everything else you’ve said this sounds as much like a roguelike as Mario 64.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So if I put windows into 60Hz mode (rather than 144Hz) then it's buttery smooth at full everything.  Bit tedious having to set that on and off just for this game tho...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Yeah that boss didn't feel right at all.

It's when you've cleared one side and need to jump to ther other, on the head of the thing in the centre there's spikes with a little silver flat bit on either side which seems like it should be a safe place, but it counts as if you hit the spikes. Felt too big a hit box.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but at this stage I'm guessing it builds you a complete game for every new save file.  Obviously this is what most rogues do

Hate to keep acting like Mr Rogue at secondary school, but this is rarely the case with rogues. It’s usually per attempt, not per save file. Along with everything else you’ve said this sounds as much like a roguelike as Mario 64.

I meant per attempt for other rogues there, sorry. Or run, rather than save file. This builds you a new game per save file - which appears to remain constant while you progress - the vast majority of them seem to shuffle it up (except unlocks, depending on the game) whenever you snuff it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    So if I put windows into 60Hz mode (rather than 144Hz) then it's buttery smooth at full everything.  Bit tedious having to set that on and off just for this game tho...
    Ruh roh, I triggered 10p :-(

https://twitter.com/FullOfFeathers/status/1342075730163871745?s=19
  • Don't use the word triggered.

Don't worry, you're not the only person who says buttery smooth, but it is one of those useless descriptors that gets brought up over and over.

Anyway I bought this, I don't love it. It seems... fine after the first world.

unknown.png
  • I liked the first one but wasn't massively into it. After watching a video of this I can't see how it's anything other than a backwards step. Not for me at all.
  • It's an excellent auto runner. Halfway through the third world and I'm in the groove now. It's a step back for sure but the aim must have been to create a GOAT runner and it's mission accomplished as far as I'm concerned. Whether that can bat higher than an [8] remains to be seen, but it's a damn fine example of the genre. I've played through some turdly runners on 3DS/Vita though, so I'm probably biased as it's a sequel to a game I love that's been transposed into a genre I like. Second boss was decent too.
  • Credits have rolled. It's great, very much my sort of thing. It's not something I'd recommend to many badgers though, to the point where I'd say most people who play games these days would either hate it or find themselves distinctly unimpressed - it's heavily pattern based. Further thoughts later after I've tackled some of the dark worlds. Disappointing sequel for many reasons but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • Unless I'm missing something the requirements to unlock the dark world stages are pretty harsh. Possibly too harsh to bother with. Not dying and moving at the auto run speed on the first stage isn't nearly enough for example, you need to speed meat boy up with punch dashes at every possible opportunity to clear within 35 seconds. I've only tried this one stage so far but unlocking the harder variant seems harder than I'd expect the early dark stages themselves to be. Odd, especially compared to how effortlessly they unlocked in the first game.

Also just tried a new save file and the first boss is definitelty the weakest.
  • I should never have doubted this really, I've got two save files on a the go now and I've tested the deeper waters with half a dozen dark stages, which felt spot on with their difficulty bump. It obliterates Bit Trip Runner and I really enjoyed that. Each new game arranges checkpoints (known as 'chunks') and stretches them out across fresh level sets, so no two files are ever the same. It's a crazy idea but it must be a certain type of streamer's delight. After 5hrs I've completed 227 of these chunks, from a pool of (supposedly) 7200 hand crafted segments. I'm starting to appreciate why it took so long to make, some of the puzzle platforming is brilliant.
  • The spamming continues.  From the obsessive compulsive completing stuff thread:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    133. Super Meat Boy Forever - Switch (6hrs so far) This will be an ongoing thing, as I'm determined to at least attempt to unlock the majority of the dark world stages, but I'm ready to review.  It's a truly excellent auto runner.  Most of the layouts I encountered during my first playthrough were better than the best of most other runners I've played, and those 'chunks' are merely a few pieces of the jigsaw Tommy Refenes & co. have been slaving over for years.  Almost every new twist or gimmick works well (the only nope was the way the screen change for the otherwise excellent spider creature disregarded the precision of your jump inputs), but there's a genre ceiling for me, and no amount of blueprint brilliance can smash a great glass elevator through its roof, so to speak.  In a way it's harsh to knock a game for being as could as it could possibly be - Team Meat wanted to make the best auto runner ever, one assumes, and has succeeded - but the lingering taste of what could have been makes it hard to supress at least a whopping pang of disappointment.  Super Meat Boy is my favourite platformer of all time, and while this experience is just as pure, limiting the control of your character has sizeable repercussions in terms of all-timeyness.  The first question I'd probably ask Refenes is why, as in 'why did you eschew the perfection of the original in favour an endlessly repayable auto-scroller' (why, goddammit).  I expect I'd be initially satisfied with his answer, as he seems like a lovely chap, but after further contemplation I expect I'd be tempted to follow up with yeah...but why?  It seems perfect for streamers, as any combination of chunks should create a great experience, but I wonder if at some point over the past six years someone should've Hicks gif'd him with the 'ease down' bit from Aliens.  He was so preoccupied with whether he could, as they say, and may have gone a little overboard with the project.  This purportedly has 7200 levels, but surely that means checkpoints rather than full stages.  There seem to be around 40 chunks per world, meaning you'll see 200-ish on a light world playthrough.  If replayability is your bag you're in for a treat, it could feasibly last forever.  I've got a second save file on the go and haven't noticed any reused segments.  There's a hell of a lot of game here, and it's a bit overwhelming for the likes of me.

At its best it's masterfully designed, and none of the light world levels I played were ever less than very good.  The layouts are partly puzzle based as Meat Boy can change direction by bouncing from walls, and intricacy is the name of the game.  You'll learn what it expects of you, what you can do, and how to solve the patterns either on the fly or after a restart or two.  Please trust me when I say it frequently comes close to genre perfection, the main game is chef's kiss stuff (wonky first boss aside).  I love runners as they're a sort of zone out experience at their best - you know when you go a bit blind while playing something but can still play it?  Pinball blindness, I call it.  Just me?  Anyway, for me, the problems start to rear their head with the addition of the dark worlds here.  For an already tricky runner to get harder, it needs to become more precise.  So that means more memorisation and more absolute pinpoint requirements on the timings, which is when the fun starts to drain away.  The trickier stages were where the original game really came alive, so this is a shame to say the least.  There's also the misstep of the unlock requirements for the dark worlds to factor in, which struck me as pretty mean.  If you can hack it there's a ridiculous amount of content on offer even without the randomisation element (or indeed NG+, which is also a thing).  It still has bandages (pacifiers here) and warp zones too.  I'm almost certain I won't be able to handle it all though, if the first dark world was anything to go by, which makes the more malicious aspects of this one far less appealing than Super Meat Boy or The End is Nigh.     

In summary, I've barely scratched the surface by reaching the credits but what I have played might prove to be close to enough.  It's going in my top 5 for the year, because I can't stress how good this is when you're under its spell, but I expect it'll fade away a lot quicker than the original. [8]
  • Did everyone bounce off this in the end?
  • I did, but still plan to give it another go at some point.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Likewise
  • I stopped in Hospital, found it ultimately pretty boring.
  • Feedback seems pretty mixed on the whole, there are plenty of Chalice's bookending the user scores on Metacritic.  I really liked it but I think history will mark it down as a poor sequel.  It's a belter for speedrunning though, I've enjoyed some strims.  

Muzzy, you got this.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Necro bumping this. I've decided to give shmups a rest after 1CC-ing Mushihimesama on Original mode.

Want to get back into good old platforming - something I used to be good at.

I've unlocked some of the characters by doing those little break out challenges. I've messed about in Ch.1 to get A+-es and look at the Dark World levels but I've decided to just plough on and try and get a Light World clear and then go back.  

I have the Switch version (cheap in the sale) but I'm playing the Steam version which I bought YEARS ago - it's actually a boxed version of the game - but it came with a Steam client install on the CD and a code for downloading SMB - much harumphing from me back then!  There's a comic and a little poster in the box and the box itself is rather natty.

I had abandoned the Steam version at the level before the boss on Ch.2 a few years ago. I have since bought a half decent pad - it looks like a wired 360 pad but it's not official - however it seems to work just fine with this. (I could just try an actual 360 pad but I'm happy with this so far).

Finished Ch.2 and did Ch.3 tonight without too much trouble though those shooting levels are a right laugh - esp, that one just before the boss.

But that bloody rising salt boss level has my hand crippled. There seems to be very little margin for error. Tomorrow is another day.

I have SMB Forever on Switch too but I've only dipped a toe thus far - was hard to resist at £3 on Switch.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The steam version probably has the original music, which was stripped out and replaced for every release past a certain point. Got the OG soundtrack on cd somewhere.

Bosses are the weakest element of the original. Some are okay but they mostly kinda just get in the way of the real stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's selectable soundtracks in the Steam version I have - 2010 or 2015. Maybe it was a later release. Maybe it's been patched - not sure.

I've never been a fan of bosses in any genre. Bosses easier than the level are a waste of time. Bosses that are far harder than the levels are a jar against the game flow that spoils enjoyment.

I'd rather have a real tough final section of a level than a boss. So ch.3 of Meat Boy while it's killing me isn't annoying me. Ch1 and ch2 bosses are similar - they are essentially platforming against the clock.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ch.3 boss level is all about getting through that 1 block gap half way through without wasting time. Got it after some more attempts tonight.

Onto ch.4 then. Have got to the boss (only blitzing through light worlds remember). The ch4 boss is disappointing. Seems to be just a memory-a-thon. Will go back to that tomorrow evening.

Looked at the custom built levels the community have submitted. Nice clutch of content there. I presume I have to unlock the level editor.

Ch.4 was rather enjoyable but some of it felt just like traditional platforming. "Meat and potatoes" to Mario players. I presume the Dark versions will be nightmarish though. :)   Level 20 was a lark.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just browsed the Super Meat Boy installation CD and there's a soundtrack there with some piano arrangements, artwork, wallpapers etc.

:)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got that tedious ch.4 memorisation boss out of the way. It has the grace to only have 3 short phases. Got to level 16 of chapter 5. Have got to a place where I seem to have to make a huge jump but keep coming up just short. I kind of hope it isn't one of those pixel perfect things. It might require manipulating the anti-grav thing half way over though - hope so. Hand sore so stopping for tonight. 

Ch5 introduces chasing enemies which feels un-Meat-Boy-ish. To be fair this is my first proper tilt at this so who am I to judge what is Meat-Boy-ish. The chasers can be manipulated and the level design depends on that so the levels are fun. Onward.

I'm picking up a scattering of A+ ratings along the way but as per the plan I'm going for an initial light world clear.

Still have the soundtrack set to 2010 mode and it's brilliant.
  • Homing missles/enemies are a minor blot on its copybook imo. They're fine, but it takes it away from perfection in places. I'm happy to judge what's Meat-Boy-ish because I was wearing the T shirt when I read that (the massive shirt that came with the big box edition is still going as part of my sexy bedwear collection).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The large missiles that break up into shrapnel in particular introduce a modicum of controlled randomness which would wreck many a no-miss run of a chapter I reckon.

I'd wear a Super Meat Boy t-shirt.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Up the last level of Ch.6 - called Omega - and faced with a huge impossible looking jump with no clues as to how to get it. This one might well be a pixel perfect job as there's no gravity wells or anything about. Hmmmm..  Hand sore again and started late tonight so tomorrow is another day.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Omega really is the first proper tough Light World level. First time I've been defeated in a session. Can get to the last section past the key but haven't got there enough times to figure it out.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fuck this!!  :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!