Super Meat Boy etc - Forever is OUT NOW!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's a shame 56 is too old for Returnal really
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh page turn double post, what a treat
  • Anything roguelike would be nigh-on torturous for the davy I reckon. We'd have to sponsor him.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I fancied that Gungeon game when it first appeared and there's the meat boy sequel I got on Switch in a sale.... but it will be a while before I tackle that. I'm at 50% of Cuphead and that needs put right...likely the next non pure shmup I tackle but I want to 1CC Mushi Futari next.

There are other things I'd like to achieve...a deathless 500m in arcade Mr. Driller and then a 1CC of 1000m. Just never knuckled down to it. Wouldn't make for good YT videos though.

A 1:30 40 lines at Tetris but that's a long term goal. Also never completed Bangai O.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Returnal , eh?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Can't see me getting into that. Getting lost in 3D worlds doesn't motivate me. Galaxy's levels were my size limit.
  • It' not really a get lost kind of game, but it's one of those where the layout and item drops change every time you play.  You get one life to succeed, and it's back to square one if you die (with caveats), but you're learning how to play the game well enough to beat whatever it throws at you rather than learning to overcome a set pattern.  Plus with items drops being randomised it also means that there's a lot of luck involved as each 'run' might be particularly nasty, nice or somewhere in between. 

Kryptonite for you I reckon, or @retroking1981 - which is a shame, because it's genuinely about as good as shooting in a 3D space has ever been - but it's a very popular template these days.  There are plenty of roguelike 2D games you'd enjoy mechanically (Gungeon, for example), but not structurally (#I reckon).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye - 3D just leaves me cold. My PC might not be up to it either. (I do like Portal though - but I haven't spent proper time with it)

I find it hard to describe what I like. I didn't really like Meat Boy at first - it languished on my PC for several years after I abandoned it in chapter 2.  I bought it as a physical copy of a game so it was quite a while ago. I'm not entirely sure what got me back onto it.

I prefer tightly focused levels and an overall tight structure to a game that is linear but does give me options if I get stuck.  I don't actually mind the idea of an algo-generated batch of levels if the goals are clear.
  • Dead Cells, Davy.  Dead Cells.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Diminishing......
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Played a few Dark World levels of ch.2 on the switch with the 8bitdo pad.  Makes it very playable on switch. That soundtrack though. Dear oh dear.

However I am leaving it - the old swearing started to come back....never again.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Great stuff on the previous page there Davy, well done
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cheers. One of the very few games I have gone all the way with. I think what got me was the physics and control scheme. It's spectacularly good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!