Super Meat Boy etc - Forever is OUT NOW!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hmmmmm... wireless 360 pads not compatible with Windows 10. What fucking bollocks is that?

"see the xbox forums for help".

Cunts. It gets picked up as an unknown device but won't connect.

Will pop into GAME to see what PC pads they have.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • They are compatible with the wireless dongle thing.

They did remove the audio part so no more using it as a mic like I did with 7 - thanks to progress.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice....I have a plethora of pads and the thought of having yet another.

I could use the 8bitdo controller I got for Switch as it has a PC mode. I could even use the wireless N64 controller as it has a USB dongle but I'd rather use the 360 pads I have lying about.
  • 360 dpad? :-)

I use an 8bitdo adaptor with ds4 or dual sense. I find the ds4 dpad to be the best.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've used the analogue stick for Super Meat Boy. Sounds odd that I do that as I usually use a dpad.  I actually find the official 360 dpad OK - depends on the game of course.

I use an arcade stick for shmups and other dpad style games.
  • Same.  Assumed I'd use the dpad when I first started playing it and did for a little while, but ended up on the stick.

Resisting the urge to play this again actually.  Might give the light worlds a runthrough in a month or so.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It has really got under my skin. I thought when I beat the Dark World boss I'd be satisfied but I'm not. I want to get all the bandages and warps - and also want to clear Dark Cotton Alley.

Last game that did this to me was Kororinpa - had to get gold trophies on all courses inc. mirror mode and get that 100%. I was obsessed with Galaxy and got all the shines though that was enough - had no desire to do it again with Luigi.

I really don't see me going for any Iron Man runs - I cleared ch.1 light with no deaths but I can't see me taking that any further. They don't contribute to the game's percentage - they only unlock achievements.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My wireless N64 controller doesn't work with a PC either. Feck it.  It's Switch/N64 only.
  • I didn't know people played this game so slowly :)

Or maybe that's normal? ha sorry. not having a dig. you got further than I did, so you must be doing something right. I'm either as close to full sprint as possible or I'm not completing the level. 

I love the look on my girlfriend's face when I get sucked into playing this. Although games don't have any appeal to her, she can observe me playing red dead, or Elden Ring, and although it's boring for her, I can justify my enjoyment of it by talking her through the details and mechanics I appreciate while she calmly absorbs the visual spectacle, and given enough of an explanation, she'll eventually grow receptive to and understanding of our differences. But that all ends with 'meat boy', as she calls it. restart after restart after restart after restart, each attempt lasting just a few seconds, sometimes slamming into the same obstacle over and over and over, and sometimes it's even the first obstacle too. start die start die start die start die start die start die start die start die start die while the repetitive electro-circus music loops. splat slap splat slap splat slap splat slap slide. I'm deep focus and concentration, gripping the controller tightly, swaying left and right, leaning forward and back, vibrating with tension and excitement. I glance to my side and she's just staring at me, puzzled, with an eye/brow configuration that is trying to look neither alarmed nor concerned, and failing at both. I can actually read her mind. what is wrong with you?, she's thinking, and it cracks me up every time.
  • Random aside, my girlfriend refers to meatboy as being something I do, not something I play. Oh no, you weren't planning to do meatboy tonight, were you? she'll say. She doesn't phrase it like this for any other game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hmmm.....ignoring the slighting......
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Useless fucking phone truncated my post!!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    `
    Sorry @equinix_code.   There was supposed to be a smiley after my response, but my fucking stupid phone truncated the post and wouldn't let me amend.

On a proper computer now...

Depending on the level,  I am holding down run............................or not.....  :)   As you should well know.........

I'm going to pick up a cabled xbox controller - £30. Will work with Windows 10 according to the box I looked at today in GAME before I went to the pub.  :)   Will pick it up Monday when I am sober.  There doesn't seem to be an option for a wired official solution for PC? Unless I am looking in the wrong place.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Anyhoo.....100% light world - but I reckon that's because of the +1s the glitch completions give me.

Still a handful of bandages to get to proper 100% the light world.  (1 normal + 4 in the warps of ch.5).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    New pad.

Got the 7th light world bandage in 5-20. A cheeky one with those little chargers guarding it.  Still have the 2 warps to do with their 4 bandages.

Have started looking at the Dark World bandages - have none so far. Have found a few - this will take some time. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cleared Cotton Alley Light World.   That's a 2.7% achievement. Thought that might have been higher.   

But 7 A+es still to get. 7-20 needs about 16secs trimmed off!  :) I suspect that will take a bit of focussed play.

Have started playing with the dpad. I don't notice any real difference so may stick with it.

Have almost got the measure of the 2nd warp level in ch.5.  The first one is still a nightmare.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    90 bandages. Got the 2nd warp on ch.5 (+2 bandages) and a couple of bandages in ch.5 Dark.  5-5X with bandage was screen punching stuff. That last jump shouldn't be hard but the collapsing bridge with its time limit is so offputting and you have to land in just the right spot after hitting the switch to go into that jump.....

If there is one level that's worth persevering with first time through to get the bandage it's this one - you won't want to go back to this cold to get it.   TELL ME THIS ISN'T THE LEVEL THAT IS USED TO UNLOCK THE GLITCH LEVEL!!!!

Got another A+  in Cotton Alley. 6 to get before I assault the Dark World.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Went back - couldn't resist having a crack at the earlier Dark Cotton Alley levels. Have 6 of the first 8 done.

20,000 deaths on the stats. Not pretty but I'm getting there.

Hand is sore - cleared one of those race-against-time ones with collapsing walls you have to climb to the top off....

Thankfully the ch.5 glitch level is already unlocked. Phew - really didn't fancy having to do 5-5X again.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cuphead arriving today for Switch. I need my head examined....that may be the next obsession.
  • You might want to steer well clear of it for years after a full Meatboy addiction, but if you do fancy something equally rewarding once your journey is complete The End is Nigh is nigh on as good as Meatboy. Was made by one half of the SMB team and is genuinely tiptoptier at what it does (which is essentially 'the same again but a bit different'). Muzzy can vouch.
  • Meatboy, Celeste and TEIN represent the holy trinity of modern indie platforming.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    To be honest I want to get back to 1CCing a shmup. Mushi Futari on the 360 is my next target. I was playing SMB and Futari for a while but I really need to get this monkey off my back and then concentrate on Futari.

I already have Cuphead for Steam and am on the 3rd island but it's unfinished business. Am at the beehive level. I just fancied getting a physical copy of it for play/collecting.

However - those other 2 games are duly noted, but it may be some time before I go back to platforming.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just a quick session tonight. Picked up a bandage in 5-11X which was a nice light puzzle based one.....but can't find any others so far.  Also unlocked the glitch zone in ch.6. It's a nice tribute to the Super Mario Bros 3 airships.

Phew. Leaving it tonight. Still some way to go with this.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had to go back and see if I could chip a bit away at Cotton Alley. Just 3A+es left to achieve in Light now.

Another dark one done. I really thought I had met my match at 6-7X which is a tall level up which you are blown at high speed by fans. The sheer speed of it made me think I wouldn't be able to do it. But what is so strange about this game is that if you just keep trying and trying and trying - you somehow start to process it subconsciously.   Cleared it but my right hand is clawed.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Two more Dark Cotton Alley levels done. 9 Dark levels done. Still 3A+ Lights to achieve.

Got another Dark ch.5 bandage. 3 still to get. Have found one of them but it's a puzzle to get it. Haven't found The Kid character warp yet either.......

The stuff I have left is going to be a session at a time.  I don't see me getting more than 1 bandage, A+, dark level, or warp in a night now. If that.

Cotton Alley Dark 8 was "fun".

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Where would you put this on your all time list, now you've gone deep? It's a Top 10, vying for Top 5, for me, I think... Lived being at the point you are now, the quality whatever extent you play it to is remarkable.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not sure. It could be a top 10. I'd need to look at my top 100 list and see what I have there.

It's one of the few I stuck with that's for sure.

The physics, control and level design are among the best ever. There doesn't seem to be a skill ceiling. I'd put this with the 2D Mario games with respect to those 3 factors. Mario games are more entertaining but Meat Boy is ultimately more rewarding.

The "journey" you go through - first encountering a really tricky scary looking level that feels literally impossible. And then gradually , the price of dozens of deaths paid - maybe more - it starts to feel possible. And then - after paying up more deaths - perhaps - likely many more - you get it.  It feels like a bullet hell shmup in that respect.

It's shocking going back to some levels to get the bandages or the A+ and seeing how easy they feel. One's skills have exponentially increased without even feeling it.
  • Play the fucking sequel muzzy. At least give it a proper session.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I quite like the sequel. Have only spent a short time with it - have it on Switch. Original SMB is done as a game. Like Monkey Ball. There isn't anywhere for it to go.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!