Super Meat Boy etc - Forever is OUT NOW!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Two more levels done. 7-14X and 7-15X.

7-14X was a nice change of pace. The laser levels offer some light puzzling - pleasing.
    7-15X has those missiles that split into 8. Their homing AI is so sensitive it makes the level feel random. But there are patterns to find. Hateful levels really and this one was no exception.. A good hour at least - I will save you pain of that spectacle and show the last 2mins of that pain.  

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

105% now - means I'm at 99% (less the 6% awarded for the glitch levels). Not sure how this game maps progress onto percentages.

I have still 6 levels to do and I still have the level 5 character warp to beat.  Maybe the warps don't count?
  • Absolute madness.  Crack on.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.

Cleared the first section of ch.5 character warp zone. Getting to half way through the 2nd section.

First time I've seen this game show mercy - gives you a restart point at the start of the 2nd section. Wasn't expecting that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got the A+ on 7-20 light at last!  3 runs of less than half a second over the A+ time before getting it!

5 levels to go + the ch.5 character warp.

This clip shows me missing the A+ 45sec target time by 0.15 secs before I eventually get it. :)

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watch the reaction of this guy at 8'45''

Just want to state that there is no fucking way I would ever try this. Those missile levels and charger levels require far too much grind to be consistent at my skill level. Life is too short.

• lol.  

Have you seen the video about speedrunning SMB?  I assume so, but it's pretty good.
  • There are probably loads but I think this is the one I'm on about:

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hadn't seen this - I've been avoiding videos as I want to figure out as much of this game on my own as I can.

Some of those skips are insane.

That 2010 soundtrack is magnificent - can't bring myself to select the later one.
  • I'd not heard the newer music before. What a tragically inferior and soulless collection of tunes. they could pass for being written by AI.
  • A double disc set of the og soundtrack is one of my few remaining gaming treasures.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice. 

I have a physical copy of the game - the disc has the soundtrack on it. (The game itself on the disc is just a Steam install with a product code - which I harumphed over when I first got it - as I hadn't even heard of Steam at the time).  Poster and a nice little book with it too with interesting insights to the designers' though processes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got to part 3 of the ch.5 character warp. It's very tough and very annoying.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    All but one of the Cotton Alley dark levels left to do (7-20X). These last few ones fell quicker than anticipated.  I think I was a tad lucky in the bullet storm one but I'll take it - this fucking game doesn't hand out many favours. It seems that staying on the ground as much as possible is a decent strategy in that leval and I was able to stumble to the goal freestyle after a few goes...."Hail Mary-ing" it sometimes gives results but I will accept the luck as I have had very little.

The herding level was fun but this one was the fiddliest of that batch from 7-16X to 19X.

But here's a thing - I have still to beat 7-20X and beat the ch.5 character warp. But I got the Golden Meat Boy achievement and unlocked Ninja Meat Boy. Chapters 5 and 7 are still not at 100%. But my status screen shows this:

smb.jpg

A bug maybe? Don't know. But I won't be stopping until 7-20X and that character warp is cleared.
  • At this stage I'm mainly in it for the expletives tbh.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I am some way off getting getting 7-20X. Those buzz saws have caught up with me before the half way point. There must be a faster way of dropping down that I'm not using. Probably need to jump down and avoid sliding down the walls.

The 3rd section of the ch.5 warp is really - really annoying. It's the bit with the big fast moving obstacles that you have very little time to clear by performing a double jump with The Kid character. It's relentless.

Plenty of swearing left in this game!!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think I had the same thing where it have me 100% shit prematurely but shrug, you know when you're done really...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Damn right!  Really hope I can kill this thing over the weekend. My mind and hands are fried with the obsession.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A frustrating hour spent there trying 7-20X. Progressing and it feels doable now but far too many stupid mistakes. Hand cramping - I'm not getting drawn into >1 hr long sessions.

This game isn't lying down just because I gave it a bit of an arse smacking last night clearing 4 levels in one session. That isn't something I've done since the early days of playing this. Biting back tonight all right. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    10mins is all it took this morning.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Clap clap clap
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    "Just" the Kid warp level in ch.5 to do now. Getting to the 3rd section and can get to the first turn. But I really don't know what I'm doing!

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Daring to dream....starting to believe.....
  • You stupid bastard.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Feckin right....
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DONE. Took 40 more mins at the last section. The first two sections are nowhere near as tough as they look. They soaked up plenty of lives though -  that jump in the middle of section 2 is by far the toughest bit, followed by the jump onto the platform going down so you are positioned correctly.

120.2 hrs.
    25,006 lives.
    1 broken right hand.

smbFinal.jpg

Is there anything else I'd like to achieve?  Maybe deathless Dark chapter 1 - but that's it.  Messing about with some of the alt characters for casual play -  but I'm done.
  • Amazing work, I enjoyed the journey.
  • That was incredible davy, what an achievement! It also gives us all hope that when we get into our later years, our hands and minds will still be capable of incredible things ;)
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Never too old. 57 in April. :)

Probably need to dampen the language though. Wifey hates it.
  • Top work Davy, will tune in for the next obsession.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!