Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Running with a forefoot strike eliminated my shinsplint problems and that's the only thing I changed.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Running barefoot does feel really fluid.

The studies used against them had seasoned runners putting on barefoot shoes and then complaining about the pain after a regular run. No idea if it went more in depth than this.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I also run with a fore foot strike due to my knee injury. Takes a while to re learn how to run after years of heal striking, but its much more efficient, even if it is a calf killer initially.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've got myself a decent program now. Give us a shout when you start gonz and ill give you some advice if you like.
  • i'm doing couch to 5k, i've never done running, never thought it would be good. Always loved footy though so my overall fitness is ok. Stopped playing a year ago when I moved to Russia so felt like getting a bit more fit. Going ok so far, running with a mate who has a race in 12 weeks so he's on track. I'm just doing it for shits and giggles. Feeling more spritely in general though.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Indeed, join me on my* mission to do 10k in* 10mins.

*highly unlikely.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm do a weekly program of easy, conditioning and speed runs, increasing the difficulty as I progress, mixed in with a weight session and a core stability session in between.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    One off, but I'm about. I'll make sure I give you a shout next time I'm up.
  • 2nd Parkrun today. Different course due to the fair being in town. Felt pretty fucked pretty fast - Haven't been running since the last one and didn't eat much yesterday, or drink enough water. Was gasping early.

Finished with a sprint and probably knocked 30 seconds or do off my previous effort.

Intent in getting some tempo and & lsr work done this week. Some strength building bits too.
  • Good stuff. Dragged myself out of bed this morning for Park run, had a fair bit to drink after football last night was first mile was poor, picked up after that and managed 20:08. Warm.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Very good time, D! How much do you train? My main goal at the moment is to go sub-20. Got to try and find a routine to get out and running more consistently.
  • Sub 20 for what distance?
  • Well, the real goal is a sub-40 10km. That will take some work.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Running with a forefoot strike eliminated my shinsplint problems and that's the only thing I changed.

Going to sound a cunt here, but are you sure it was shin splints, that's a compartment injury which is deadly serious, however running with ankle support or stiff soled boots, means you use that muscle at front of shin, which people don't use very often. In basic training every cunt thought they had shin splints, not calling you a cunt just stating what we've seen. But yeah on the offside I see lots of benefits of barefoot style running, Gabreselassie said that he was mocked for running distance on his forefoot but hey it appeared to work out pretty well for him
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Very good time, D! How much do you train? My main goal at the moment is to go sub-20. Got to try and find a routine to get out and running more consistently.

My weekly schedule is approximately thus:

Mon: squash (45min)
    Tue: Proper running training eg hills, lactic threshold etc. approx 8-9miles, 3miles effort
    Weds: Rest
    Thurs: squash
    Fri: football (11s or 5s)
    Sat: park run (sometimes, maybe 1 in 6)
    Sun: long steady, 6-12miles 

Sub 40 10k is big aim at the mo too.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    Going to sound a cunt here, but are you sure it was shin splints, that's a compartment injury which is deadly serious, however running with ankle support or stiff soled boots, means you use that muscle at front of shin, which people don't use very often. In basic training every cunt thought they had shin splints, not calling you a cunt just stating what we've seen. But yeah on the offside I see lots of benefits of barefoot style running, Gabreselassie said that he was mocked for running distance on his forefoot but hey it appeared to work out pretty well for him
    It was shinsplints, confirmed by a physio friend who helped strip em, ya cunt.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yeah might have had a drink used that word a lot there, glad they were fixed though
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I did a sub 50min 10km on Friday... Was meant to be 8.5km but I got lost.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I managed 150kg deadlift for 2x3 reps on Friday, gittin me mojang back.  Squatted 92.5 without pain this morning, yus.  Still piddling but at least my knees work.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    silly griff
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    150, fucking hell, double my bodyweight, I need to get back to gym, am well below that

Current 1RM as calculated by Jefit, though it does this on benchmark exercises which aren't necessarily the ones I do regularly, was often concentrating on dumbbells and kettles, to try to keep good form and strengthen weaker side, I'm quite imbalanced

Screenshot_2014-05-19-11-22-00_zpsq9zfyel0.png
  • Gah!

10k race tonight. 40:15. PB, but so close to 40!

Next time gadget, next time...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Cleared 90kg bench, on to 92.5 again.
  • What kind of routine do you do?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Kind of a mix between SS, Easy Strength and 5/3/1.  I go up each week if I can, and have a main lift for the day (3 days).  I'll alternate between OHP and BP on Wednesdays, and do the other for volume on Monday.  Monday and Friday are squat and deadlift.  I have my heavy sets, 3x5 or 2x3 for DL, then I go for volume at 75% of max, 5x5.  Then one other assistance thing like pullovers or rows.  50 chins a session, weighted ones are aggravating tendons in my right forearm so giving those a rest for now.

soooolike

Monday
    Squat 3sx5r, 5x5 @75% 1RM
    OHP or BP 5x5 @75%
    Chins x 50

Wednesday
    OHP or BP 3x5, 5x5 @75%
    Batwings 3x10 or Dumbbell pullovers 2x10
    Chins x 50

Friday
    Deadlift 2x3, 5x3 @75%
    Rows 3x10
    Chins x 50
    Farmer's Walks x2 laps

Sometimes I throw in a bunch of cable row dropsets if I'm feeling chipper.

That's it, more or less.  I'll be on for a few months, then refresh with Easy Strength for a month or 6 weeks.
  • So what, no more than 20/30 mins a session?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I do a fair bit of stretching and rolling, a little ab work, plus gentle quad raises for me knees, so closer to an hour.  Plus there's chatting.
  • I'm considering switching from full body to an upper/lower split, squatting or deadlifting heavy every session is getting a bit much for me. Especially at my age.

Something like:

Upper-
    Press
    chins
    bench
    Row variation

Lower-
    Squat or deadlift
    Romanian deadlift or front squat
    calves

Not sure about ohp and bench in the same session though.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    You mean me?  I don't OHP and BP in the same session, I alternate, EEEGEE last Wednesday:
    BP 90kg 3x5
    BP 75kg 5x5
    Tricep extension 40kg 2x10
    Chins x 50
    Fucking around for a bit.

If you didn't mean me, well.

When you start to approach your limits, I think a split is entirely sensible.  It just takes too long to recover.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!