Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Terrible attempt at the gym last night, went stupidly at 8.00pm and so packed I could hardly get on any decent benches or machines. Had to resort to fit ball tricep extensions and close grip dumbbell presses. Only issue is because you are also balancing and using core to stabilise you can't go as heavy as on a solid bench.

Gonna go to gym in the day today as there is no way I'm getting an Olympic bar post 5pm.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So leg day came around again. Got another 20kg on the squats, up to 100kg now, felt I could've done more maybe but didn't want to push it.

Hack squats I took down to 60kg just to get the technique right. Could so easily fuck up your back.

Also did Romanian deadlifts at 60 kg another dodgy one for the lower back and my technique needs tidying up.

• @Skerret - fast days: are these the ones where you can have 500/600 calories? Or legit nothing?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Legit nothing.  Water and herbal tea, 8pm til 8pm.  Then, eat a normal sized dinrar.

In other news, I'm finally up to 60kg for 3x5 OHP.  It has taken a loooong time.

Good man Boris, you and me both at 100kg sq...wwwwwats.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • @Skez - That's hard going mannnnn. But will give it a go.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    You might be surprised at how easy it is.  Just stay hydrated and stay busy.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • So, at 8pm on the first day I eat dinner. Then nothing until dinner the next day at 8pm?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Correct.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I don't recommend doing twice weekly fasts for more than say three (possibly four) weeks though, but it's a great way of dropping some fat if needed (or not needed).  You can manage one a week pretty comfortably though, I do.
  • Hmm. I could "do a Ramadan" after Tough Mudder.

Will try and report back.
  • What's the impact of once weekly? And does one have dinner, then fast for 24 hrs until the next dinner? So missing two meals? Or is it best to miss three meals.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yer that was my question. Apparently you just skip two meals + snacks between two evening meals.

Mayber it works, mayber it doesn't, but I'd like to see some abs for the first time ever and I need to lose mayber 5kgs of fat to get there.
  • Cool. Gonna try it I think. Wednesday is usually rest day so should fit in. That + my current planking regime should trim the abs nicely.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Spot reduction doesn't work if that's what you meant, just general fat reduction via energy out > energy in. I recommend using a BMR calculator to get a gauge on your daily energy expenditure, then simple eat less than that (or more if you are trying to gain muscle and size). The number of meals question all depends on how you plan your eating.  For example I never eat before midday, then I eat a particular quantity of food by about 8pm.  I don't have lunch or dinner as such. Funk has it though yer, you skip breakfast lunch and snacks between dinners.

Funkstain wrote:
    Mayber it works, mayber it doesn't
    lulz.  You mayber right.  Housemate's gf just recently tried a twice weekly fast for a few weeks, and lost 2 kg in that time.  She's already fit and lean too, so your 5kg should be doable in spurts.

@Dad: the once weekly fast sort of regulates my digestive system and acts as a buffer against the cake I tend to eat.  It's great once you adjust, because you can hit whatever fat level you like.  It's so simple, just don't eat.  Dieting itf.
  • The fasting certainly works. I go a bit OTT with it and am more or less doing a 24 hour one every day (6pm-ish to 6pm-ish) but that's more because I like the routine.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    There's no great harm in it as far as I can see (I've read several accounts from peeps who have one meal a day and live very happily), it's more an issue if you are trying to build or maintain strength and muscle mass.  If you're not bothered with that, wither away to a fashion-conscious shadow at all speed.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Water and herbal tea, 8pm til 8pm.  Then, eat a normal sized dinrar.

Does that still work like you mean, a twentyfour hour fast like that is very different to sleeping twice between meals, seems like it could be a lot more attainable
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    The fasting certainly works. I go a bit OTT with it and am more or less doing a 24 hour one every day (6pm-ish to 6pm-ish) but that's more because I like the routine.

I'm less sure if that fasting or simple calorie restriction, sounds like you are just eating once a day rather than having a fast, might be more beneficial to eat for our five times a day and fast irregularly, so you actually miss the food you're not eating

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    The fasting certainly works. I go a bit OTT with it and am more or less doing a 24 hour one every day (6pm-ish to 6pm-ish) but that's more because I like the routine.
    I'm less sure if that fasting or simple calorie restriction, sounds like you are just eating once a day rather than having a fast, might be more beneficial to eat for our five times a day and fast irregularly, so you actually miss the food you're not eating
    That's a fast.  Calorie restriction implies eating at a deficit in a given 24 hour period, whereas Brooks is in a fasted state by the time he eats.  There conjecture as to whether further benefit is accrued beyond the 24 hours and I believe there are alterations to that state you're in, but eh.

cockbeard wrote:
    Water and herbal tea, 8pm til 8pm.  Then, eat a normal sized dinrar.
    Does that still work like you mean, a twentyfour hour fast like that is very different to sleeping twice between meals, seems like it could be a lot more attainable
    I don't like going to bed hungry.  The insertion point doesn't really matter.
  • Yeah that's it for me too. Come dinner time, a dinner time I genuinely relish every day, I stuff myself with goodies and retire all lethargic and content. It's really the best system, and hasn't dented my enthusiasm for novelty whatsoever.

Permaramadan ftw. (Though obviously I'm not cutting out fluids during the day.)
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Oh yeah, fast breaking is a giddy delight and I plan it meticulously, all boxes sated.
  • Like, today's supper was a couple boiled eggs, a huge bowl of salad topped with a heap of pork, spicy sesame oil, followed by melon ice-cream and a 7% IPA. Sound as fuck.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'll report on next Sunday's grande bouffe.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    In other news, I'm finally up to 60kg for 3x5 OHP.  It has taken a loooong time. Good man Boris, you and me both at 100kg sq...wwwwwats.

Cheers Skerret :-)

Shoulders tonight, I'm on dumbbell shoulder press - only 20kg for 3 x 6 as I have a weak left shoulder, then drop the weight to 16kg for the arnold press (bloody hard) may try to do 24 on the SP and 20 on the AP tonight.

Full Workout:
    NiRDCjM.png                    

I've stopped doing barbell upright rows after watching this video:

The protein is certainly working, definitely feel stronger in just over a week. I do think the squats have a lot to do with it as well.
  • On the fasting subject, I was always against it but after some high calibre peeps giving info to the contrary I am going to try it a bit differently. No 24 hour fast for me as there is no way I could function, but will be trying a 15/9 on training days, 18/7 on off days. That is to say Il be fasting fr 15 hours, eating for 9. May start that after Tough Mudder though.

Boris, its funny you posted that. I used to do that exercise all the time and although I got a massive pump I did feel I hurt my shoulder more than once, pretty sure it contributed to a massive shoulder injury I had. I will be advising all to stay away from it.
  • Hulka. Fasting. My world has stopped turning. Mate you do know fasting = not eating yeah
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hulka, r u shoor m8

I have no doubt you could do a 24 hour fast and function perfectly well.  In fact, you may find you function more efficiently, plus there's the euphoria that kicks in late in the piece.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Hulka. Fasting. My world has stopped turning. Mate you do know fasting = not eating yeah

Lolz
    Well I havent started yet but am contemplating it! I have been recommended it from some reputable trainers (and Skez lol). I seriously couldn't do 24hrs, Skz. Eating is literally the first and last thing I do everyday and I get headaches if I dont eat. I am a machine!!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Hulka T wrote:

Boris, its funny you posted that. I used to do that exercise all the time and although I got a massive pump I did feel I hurt my shoulder more than once, pretty sure it contributed to a massive shoulder injury I had. I will be advising all to stay away from it.

I had a shoulder injury several years ago that has always impacted my left shoulder strength. So when I spotted upright barbell row in the routine I looked around for an alternative, figuring the weak left wouldn't be helped by the stronger right (always a factor I think with bar work) and then I spotted the video. Scary stuff really.

Just back from a back and biceps day.

Definitely seeing results now at the end of week two. Week three shifts the reps up and mixes up the routine a bit. Gotta keep the system shocked eh?
  • What routine are you following Boris?

Im just blasting out full body compound workouts at the moment. Its intense with some serious results.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!