The Paleo thread of keeping fit and looking healthy - or the other way around
  • Having Starting Strength on Kindle on my iPhone helps so much!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Keep it it yo.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Having Starting Strength on Kindle on my iPhone helps so much!
    Which edition do you have Elf?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Erm. The one that's on Amazon at the moment??!

Let me check....
  • 3rd edition.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Good good.
  • 90kg Dumbbells for 5 now Skerret, though I'm sure a lung came out my ass and went back in before I was done.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Fuckin' jesus, I didn't know they made 90kg dumbbells.  Are they tricky to get into position/spotter? Hang on to that lung.  Hit the Strength[+1] thread and post some numbers, just so we can all pack it in.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Fuckin' jesus, I didn't know they made 90kg dumbbells.  Are they tricky to get into position/spotter? Hang on to that lung.  Hit the Strength[+1] thread and post some numbers, just so we can all pack it in.

Really difficult, only get one up by myself, sitting with it stood on my knee, lay back and take weight with both arms to get in position. Other one lifted by two people, no spotters as the balance is a nightmare, one wrong application of pressure and it all goes to hell. Nobody anywhere near so I can go till I fail then use whatever is left to push them as far away as fast as possible. Horrible but a massive, massive high.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    You're a maaadmaaaan.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Ronnie's my favourite.  HOO DAWUZ LIGHT!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I like it when a WSM's bent crooked, shouting, and our commentator starts his 'ooh, no'-ing.
  • Knight wrote:
    Too much running chat in here. I finally did 117.5 squats for 3x5. 120kg Tomorrow. Nearly at a 3 plate deadlift which will be nice, will be doing 137.5 on Sat

Argh that's from April, I'm only at 125kg squat and 140 kg deads and it's October. Too much disruption in the training. It's funny, I had 3 weeks of not needing to be up at a certain time and so getting at least 8 hours sleep a night and being free to eat loads whenever I wanted and always making sure I got to the gym and, guess what, I made real progress. But then life gets in the way again and I start treading water.
    GT: Knight640
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I discovered that as long as you maintain during the busy periods, life n'shit, make hay during the quiet periods.  My deadlift shot up by 20kg in a few months a while back as I had little on and as you say, could eat and sleep in abundance.  Play the long game, like Destiny innit.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Is ham on the bone Paleotriffic?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'd say so.
  • First outdoor proper run yesterday in about 10 weeks.  Ouch! My legs feel like I've done a marathon (I only did 3.5miles).

Anyway, what it has made me do is look more into varying my training regime a bit.  Since I'm pretty sure my injury was a result of overtraining (120 miles in August), I'm gonna try change things a bit before the next big run, which is Edinburgh marathon in May. 

I've already started doing strength work in the gym at work, although the only free weights are dumbells and they only go up to 10kg.  Any tips on good exercises I can do with just those?  I've been doing squats and lunges so far, with press-ups, planks and tricep dips.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • You can't do strength work when you only have dumbbells and they only go up to 10kg.
  • Oh, ok then. Back to pure cardio it is then.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    I've already started doing strength work in the gym at work, although the only free weights are dumbells and they only go up to 10kg.  Any tips on good exercises I can do with just those?  I've been doing squats and lunges so far, with press-ups, planks and tricep dips.

Depends what you mean by strength work - if you mean pile on the weight until you can squat twice your bodyweight, then sure 10Kg dumb bells aren't going to serve, but there's tons of strength work you can do with no weights at all.

Lunges with even 10Kg dumb bells will feel a hell of a lot harder than with none at all. You can do renegade rows, shoulder press (basically push the weights straight up from shoulder height to above your head), various versions of sit ups and other ab work, and my personal favourite turkish get ups, for which 10kg will be more than enough for the first few times you do them!

If you only have lighter weights, do more reps, and work on form. If you find you like it, you can always find a gym with more free weights.
  • Pull ups, I always forget pull ups. Because I hate them so much. But proper chin and pull ups will fuck you up and get you strong in no time, upper body wise.
  • I'm doing it to supplement running and general fitness, not aiming to join the henchmen.

Turkish get ups I will look into, cheers.
  • In that case body weight / light weights are well good enough. Good core work will help your running so fucking much you won't believe it - you'll feel sort of lighter on your feet, like running is just easier.

So pull ups, turkish get ups (you'll love them I promise...), renegade rows, press ups, lunges...perfect for running assist I'd reckon.

I'd go further actually - when I started running, I used to get terrible knee pain, get injured all the time. A doctor told me I was going straight into running without "walking" first. By walking he meant strengthening the used muscles, increasing the resistance of the joints, etc. It made a lot of sense, so I did a bunch of strength work before going on another run, and when I did go on a run kept it short and sprinty. Haven't had an injury since, my times have got better, it's all good.
  • Cool, sounds like a good set of things to get me going, cheers. 

I've been running for a good few years now, but after my last great north run I started to think I've got as far as I can without changing my training plan a bit (which has always been to just run). We have a proper UK Athletics coach that works with the youngsters I coach, he reckons runners are all fucking mental for just running all the time instead of doing more focused stuff. After my injury I'm beginning to think he's got a point.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I hold a 20 DB in each hand, by my sides*, and do fast calf raises. Whenever I begin to lose my balance and have to move my feet to regain it, I do some one-footed reps, alternating feet like simulated running.

I also do squats, but with the DBs still hanging. My speed's always on the plyo side, but reduced to avoid yanking my shoulders. With 10s, it's probably no bother to rest them on your shoulders, but I can't do as many reps as I'd like to for running that way with 20s.

*Shouldering DBs is better for minimising injury risk.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Like funk says, core stability and strength exercises are critical for running. The muscle that holds your knee in line is in your arse, but you barely strengthen it by running. That's what you need the squats, lunges, press ups, sit ups, chin ups, planking, hip raises and all the other exercises for.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    If you've a decent hill nearby, hill sprints come recommended.
  • But if you want to strength your arse muscles properly you need to be moving actual weight. If you're totally untrained (strength wise) doing anything rather than nothing is going to be an improvement but if you want to maintain some sort of progress you want to find a squat rack. Training isn't exactly fun, if we're going to do it we may as well do what is going to be most effective. That's why I don't get it when I see people spend 20 minutes do calf raises or lunges in the gym. Why bother? Just do heavy squats, you'll accomplish pretty much the same thing and you'll have spent a third of the time doing it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!