PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    tum tum te tum
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Zmm for some reason i thought you would be a heffer, good frame for progress at 6 foot 4 you should have a goot bit of strength lurking in there too!
  • Lose a bit of softness before you go hitting the iron like the rest of these goons. Stay off the carbs for a bit and eat more protein. Do that for a couple months. If you're still not happy, then think about lifting stuff.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    When I was a wee boy, a bigger lad from t'top of the village said to me: 'They're nice, smart trousers, ain't they?'. He then lifted me above his head, and said that he was going to drop me into the well that we were next to. He didn't, and I jogged on.

So you be careful, son.
  • What?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    A lesson for all.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Especially in your part of the world.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    We don't have many wells, just mines.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Oh, yeah; shit; sorry. Bit o' the old stereotyping coming through.
  • So, Running Tiger is back!

After continual setbacks from overtraining, I've started running again and this time I'm determined not to hurt myself. 

Been to Parkrun (which is a beautiful thing) 3 of the last 4 but refusing to let myself actually race it. Always keeping within myself at the moment and also refusing to listen to music. Feel like I can feel myself more without music. Went 23:23 yesterday.

Basic plan is to do Parkrun each weekend without racing and slip in a longer & slower run in the week. Not going to try and hit any particular time for another 6 weeks, at which point I might aim for 22m. Doing teh squats and foam rolling as a matter of course now.

Looking at Ipswich half-marathon in September as a sensible goal.
  • Welcome back Tiggs! Been ramping up my own training for ed marathon next month. Going ok, a little bit behind where I'd hoped to be, but I'm close enough to being on track if I can stay injury free until M Day.

My recommendation for racing at park run is to only aim for one balls-out effort in any 4 week period. Was one second off my pb last week, gonna hit it again in a couple of weeks.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yeah, good advice. My last 3 years of injury woe have all come from going all out at race pace two days in a row over 10k and completely destroying myself. Really paranoid now every time I feel any twinges!
  • Boom! New park run pb today, 19:38.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    5km? That's a great time. I'm at about 23 at the moment.
  • Nice!

Took it real easy today - almost 3 minutes slower than last week - but I'm determined not to try and push myself too quickly and end up injured again like I have every time I've started running for the last 3 years.
  • My 10km best is 52min. No idea about 5km.

Knees not so great from years of running (badly) on concrete. Affecting my squats. :(
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Been ramping up my own training for ed marathon next month.

Heh. I signed up for that. Not gonna go though. Don't wanna run anymore. Not right now anyway. More into strength/weight training at the moment.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    Been ramping up my own training for ed marathon next month.

Heh. I signed up for that. Not gonna go though. Don't wanna run anymore. Not right now anyway. More into strength/weight training at the moment.

Fair enough. I've been training fairly well. Did 18 miles on Monday, aiming for 20 tomorrow. I find that my knees go through a slightly dodgy phase when I start to increase milage, but they seem to bed in and build up a resistance. Hopefully they'll hold out for another few years, then I can move onto cycling.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Eh yo gents, are normal squats good enough? If I added weight my knees would probably cave in. Can do 30 or so with proper form.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    The movement itself is certainly worth doing, weighted or not.  You won't necessarily get stronger (I mean you will get stronger, but obviously not to the same extent as if you added weight) but you will definitely improve your hip mobility and flexibility plus muscle endurance will improve.  Weight-wise, a good technique should have little impact on your knees as all the work is being done in the hips.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'll try doing it with just some light handweights then. My legs are fucking huge already but a lot is dead muscle so just moving them consistently is gonna help.

Cheers Skez.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Try holding the weights against your chest goblet-squat style.  Ideally load up a single dumbell (if they are adjustable) and use that, a la muggins here:

Hqyy678.jpg
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Lol there's no way I can get that low without my knees going mental. I can manage slow to ninety degrees then slow back up. I will use the weights as shown though.

Its more about working my legs, walking more has helped a lot coupled with the five/ten minute rest I need. It's just something I'm concerned about with regards to working out as my knees will get progressively worse with age. They already crack every time I get out of, or into a seat. Cartilage is fucked.

Tempted to speak to the doc but doubt he'll know much with regards to what I can/cannot do exercise wise.

Current regime is a shitload of upper body workout, then squats and planks for legs etc. Its more trying to figure out what I can/can't do at home as can't afford gym at the moment. Really need to find a routine specific to the problem. Physio just tells me to bend/lift my knees but it feels its doing nothing. Its my own fault for neglecting fitness until the past couple of years, my knees had to carry more weight then they could properly handle.

Sorry about the rant!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Wellllll dropping a few kegs might be a good idea then.  Dead simple as we know, just burn more than you eat.  It might mean cutting back on the quantity of Tesco's fare though.  It might also help to ease down into a full arse to grass squat as shown, then just hold it.  It about burning that movement pattern into your system and holds like that can really help, did for me.  I couldn't squat for nuts once, but happily sit low and easy nowadays.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'd recco as far as a Won Ton's mower.

• Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    DS, a star pupil you might say, one B&B has high hopes for.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Advice taken, nodded to and understood, sir.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    He's got the hat on; don't encourage him.
  • New 10k pb in a race last night. Getting closer to the hallowed sub-40! Have some stats to celebrate:

image.jpg
  • RUNNING NEWS

Today was the Edinburgh marathon. I have decided that marathons are too far, I will not be doing another one. Unless I get through the London marathon ballot. Then that will definitely be the last one.

They really are too far.

Anyway, time was a respectable 3h33

Strava link that might not work:
    http://app.strava.com/activities/315430952

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!