General VR and AR chinwag
  • Vive audio strap should be out in the UK soon, £100 no doubt but the comfort factor is a big deal for me as the vanilla straps are shite. Looking good.

http://www.roadtovr.com/vive-deluxe-audio-strap-review-cant-go-back/

Can't come soon enough.
  • Bah. Got the Vive, spent about 8 years setting everything up. Scanning the room about a dozen times to set it up without it working. Annoyingly, the gf who was watching me the whole time said she should have a go and did it first time. Anyway, it's fucked. I get huge black jaggies all over the place, huge juddering when I move my head and then it dies and my main monitor loses signal as well. So I have to turn the whole bastard computer off at the switch. Switched ports, updated drivers and firmware, ran tests, spent a couple of hours messing around with HTC support who suggested a load of fixes that didn't work. Doesn't look like a graphics card problem (although both the monitor and Vive run off that and both cut out at the same time). Going to have another session of messing around with it tomorrow. If that doesn't sort it, it's going back.
  • That's rubbish. Do you have access to another pc to test it on?
  • Nah. Looks like it's the graphics card though. It's been working fine with just my monitor but shits the bed when you stick more than one thing into it. It's still under warranty but that's a pain in the arse I didn't need. The Vive return period might expire before I can get the card replaced. I'll have to look into it.
  • Anyway, in better news.
    https://blog.vive.com/us/2017/06/05/apple-embrace-vr-and-the-vive-platform-at-wwdc17/
    Today at the Worldwide Developers Conference 2017, Apple announced they are embracing Virtual Reality and demonstrated it on the Vive!  Through a newly announced external GPU, developers and content creators will be able to use a beta of SteamVR and the new MacOS, High Sierra, to access the creative power of Vive with their MacBooks.

Not clear whether its a special Apple GPU or what. Seems like a bit of a bodge but at least they're moving in the right direction.
  • What gfx card have you got?
  • Because if it's a 980ti I had similar problems and had to buy an extra cable.
  • 1060 which should do the job. I stuck 2 monitors into it, unplugged all Vive stuff and it's still fucking up so definitely seems like that's the issue. It sort of ran the tutorial ok-ish for a few minutes. That's as far as I've got. If you don't move your head, it's great.
  • Could be a USB port problem which is a known thing. Time for an upgrade then. If your not spending a grand and a half you're not doing it properly.
  • You most probably need to reconnect the thingamy to the whatist and download the doodaa again and reset to get it all working properly.
  • Replacement graphics card (still a 1060) turning up thursday. If that doesn't work, the sledgehammer is coming out.
  • Pffft, you're welcome.
  • Pre-ordered headstrap from scan. No idea when stock will clear though.
  • I'm going to order one today. This is hopefully going to make a huge difference.
  • Scan stock expected 21st July.
  • http://steamcommunity.com/games/steamvrtracking/announcements/detail/1264796421606498053

2.0 sounding good:
    This new sensor technology is part of what we call SteamVR Tracking 2.0. The main features of 2.0 are:

Support for more than two base stations

Base stations that are smaller, quieter, lower power, more reliable, and less expensive than their 1.0 counterparts

Better performance by reducing the number of moving parts and sources of manufacturing variation.

Because the new Valve-built base stations don’t include a sync blinker, one side-effect of the sync-on-beam technology in tracking 2.0 is that those base stations will only work with TS4231-based devices. Valve-built base stations will not work with older 1.0 devices. The older 1.0 base stations will continue to work with new devices, just without any of the new features. Valve will have base stations available in production quantities starting in November 2017. If you would like engineering samples of those base stations, let us know. Those will be available in June.
  • The base stations are where it's at and Oculus and Valve know it. I'm glad it's gone this way. Now headset manufacturers can just concentrate on the visuals. Ultimately​ it's going to require some GPU grunt but there seem to be some workarounds in development to bump up resolutions with current cards.
  • We're in business. Up and running.
  • No probs, glad to be of assistance.
  • monkey wrote:
    We're in business. Up and running.

Hows it going, Having fun?
  • Not had much of a chance to do much yet. No proper games yet. Played one of the lab things - a space shooter where your hand is the ship. That was pretty cool.

Used Google Earth to stomp round my neighbourhood like Godzilla. Tiltbrush was pretty fun as well but I've got no idea how you actually paint something in it.

Going to try that rick and Morty game, Dirt rally in VR, Elite Dangerous. I should have a better idea of what it's all about then.

The main idea I've got is to make some stuff in blender and start messing around with unity.

Any game recommendations?
  • Super Hot is brilliant.
  • Yeah I've got that (unplayed) through a humble thing but it's the non-Vr version. I might buy it again just for VR but think I'll give the standard one a go first to see what it's like.
  • Wouldn't bother, although the same game the VR version is brilliant and being present in the game makes a huge difference. There aren't that many good games (plenty of good experiences) and Super Hot is one of them.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Robo Recall
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So I'm in the VR club. Ordered a PSVR with camera, farpoint and Drive Club as they had a deal on amazon. Really got interested after watching a video about the X-wing mission in battlefront. 

So, question is, do I need the Move controllers?  They seem pricey, but will buy if they improve the gameplay.
  • It depends on what you're playing. Most don't need it. What games do you plan on getting?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!