Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If you’re not doing this the you’re clearly not committed to VR.

• Kernowgaz wrote:
    I’ve got a cable to connect my Quest 3 to the PC, as my WiFi connection wasn’t that great with STEAM VR. Well I’ve tried Flight Simulator and it ran well and looked great apart from this sort of screen tearing effect. Looked into it and I think it had something to do with screen warping, I’ll sort that later. Tried Half Life Alyx, initially it was stunning over Steam link but the picture got worse. I then connected my headset with the cable but it wouldn’t work with Steam and I got a 215 error code, which was fucking annoying as it looked stunning at first. Hopefully it won’t take long to figure out. Finally I tried a Lone Echo experience thing from the Oculus store, WOW just fucking WOW the graphics were amazing, it worked perfectly over the Oculus app unlike Alyx.

When you do get it working I can recommend...

VTOL:

Currently on Sale and built for VR rather than just VR'ing a regular flight sim. Loads of mods and we can do MP if you get it. Dog fighting so much fun in MP, the controls just nail it. The community is great and the mod missions are superb. Dual cockpit training aircraft is the way to go if you want to be taught as it's no arcade shooter.

Bootstrap Island:

Early access but it's already great. As immersive as VR gets.

Elite Dangerous:

Works best with a powerful rig as you want graphics on MAX.

The Lab:

Free Valve game built to show off VR with minigames and other stuff to to.

Plus Alyx obvs. You can also pirate Quest games and use them on PC with extra shinies. Lone Echo 2 with better resolution is a beaut.

Cheers Gazelle and Hair. Just had a 90 min play of Alyx and fucking hell, what a game and bizarrely how the fuck have they not followed up with a sequel? I guess there’s mods made by other people? And I’m sure I’ve seen something called contracts?

I’ve only got it to work over Steam Link but the cable doesn’t work properly (which is strange, as it should and the games would look better). With the cable on Alyx it’s just crashed when you see the valve logo with the bald bloke with a valve in his head.

With the cable using the Oculus app I can play Lone Echo and Stormland with no problems apart from an occasional flicker in Stormland but I imagine I just need to play with the settings. I think the issue could be agreed to a data option that popped up when I connected the cable, it’s at 6.50 in the video below.

I need to find out how to reset the headset so I can connect the headset like it’s the first time I’ve done it.

I’ve got enough games at the mo but will keep an eye on Boot Strap Island though. How do get a pirated copy of Lone Echo 2? It’s only £22 with a referral code though.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm coming towards the end of Alyx now and I think it's been consistent in its brilliance all the way through. There are a few niggles related to the controls - it's hard to get out of the way out turn properly sometimes in a fight, but I guess that's just the compromise with the controls to avoid nausea. Overall, I think it's one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had and using the word immersive for other media now seems kind of funny
  • How long is the campaign Kow?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    About ten hours I think. Although I'm not finished yet so I can't be sure.
  • Well the issue for me is Alyx, it crashes at the same bit. The part when you see the VALVE emblem and the blokes bald head, with the cable or Steam Link. I need to buy another VR game on Steam to see if it’s ok.

The Lab worked ok though, this is why I hate PC’s
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I never managed to get the cable working properly, it was always shit. I think part is the problem was that it was before the Valve app was released and every time you went into Steam it also opened the Oculus pc app too and caused all kinds of shit. Works flawlessly via wifi now. Could you borrow a 5g router and see if that solves the problem? There's no way the wireless option will work without 5g.
  • I used a small WiFi usb dongle a while back - had to fanny around a bit with sharing WiFi or some weird settings but it saved having to use a whole router.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Ooh, I’ve a ‘gaming’ laptop and that might be an amazing fit. Noticeably different from a full sized 5g router?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Kow wrote:
    I never managed to get the cable working properly, it was always shit. I think part is the problem was that it was before the Valve app was released and every time you went into Steam it also opened the Oculus pc app too and caused all kinds of shit. Works flawlessly via wifi now. Could you borrow a 5g router and see if that solves the problem? There's no way the wireless option will work without 5g.

I’ve got a 5g router already, it’s a Bt Homehub 2. One minute it works, the next it crashes on the fat bald head with a valve in it. Should I turn the valve?
  • And also, the Ocukus games work a treat.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Oh I don't know so. Alyx runs flawlessly for me via the Stream app. Doesn't even drop a frame
  • djchump wrote:
    I used a small WiFi usb dongle a while back - had to fanny around a bit with sharing WiFi or some weird settings but it saved having to use a whole router.

The issue for me is, one minute it works the next it doesn’t. When it does - fucking hell - WOW
  • Kow wrote:
    Oh I don't know so. Alyx runs flawlessly for me via the Stream app. Doesn't even drop a frame

Dunno if it’s because my PC has been on for hours downloading shit when I tried it last but when I first tried it, it was perfect. For me, it’s the fact it crashes on the bald cunts head.
  • Ooh, I’ve a ‘gaming’ laptop and that might be an amazing fit. Noticeably different from a full sized 5g router?
    If that’s in reference to the WiFi usb dongle, it was something like this that I had lying around: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9397525

This was way back when quest 1 came out because my office is at back corner of the house far away from the router, so I wanted to try local WiFi link to laptop instead of going through a crappy powerline Ethernet and then poor WiFi signal back. I can’t remember what the setup was - possibly had to host a hotspot? Whatever it was involved turning off normal WiFi, fiddling with the dongle and connecting quest - which was a faff that is probably a lot easier to get a good WiFi 6 router instead these days.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Cheers dj - that’s good info, now there’s a whole new world of Wi-Fi dongles to explore…
  • What do people mean when they talk about a 5G router exactly?  5G as in the mobile signal?
  • Elmlea wrote:
    What do people mean when they talk about a 5G router exactly?  5G as in the mobile signal?
    You should have it if you've been vaccinated anyway
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    What do people mean when they talk about a 5G router exactly?  5G as in the mobile signal?
    You should have it if you've been vaccinated anyway

I have, I don't even need to plug my Quest in
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Kow wrote:

Dunno if it’s because my PC has been on for hours downloading shit when I tried it last but when I first tried it, it was perfect. For me, it’s the fact it crashes on the bald cunts head.

Well I’ve since read that I have to change a setting from Oculus to Steam and it should as there’s a conflicting if it’s set as Oculus. Fingers crossed as it’s pissing me off
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    @Elm 5Ghz router, not 5G as in the mobile signal. It basically has a faster channel than the normal 2.4Ghz channel for faster transfer of data between the router and whatever 5ghz capable device is connected. Most routers like this, I think, will show two distinct wifi channels when you scan for them.
  • Right, I did wonder; I know wifi standards up to ac/ax, wifi 6 etc, but I figured it'd be impossible to get a pure 2.4GHz router now so got a bit confused there.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Lots of people have been using the same routers for years and years I guess.
  • So if I've got an ax router, I should be fine for this; is Q3 wifi 6 compatible?  Still haven't priced let along bought a PC to actually try some PCVR stuff, but it's a plan.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Kow wrote:

Well I’ve since read that I have to change a setting from Oculus to Steam and it should as there’s a conflicting if it’s set as Oculus. Fingers crossed as it’s pissing me off

Well that didn’t work FFS! Back to the classic of delete and re-install Stram VR and then Alyx.
  • Well it “seems” deleting Steam VR and reinstalling got it to work. I crashed on my because I selected the home button on the left controller, I booted it up again and it worked again.

Can I use the Steam VR app to run my Oculus games? I don’t want to start changing things in the menu as it now works.
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Cheers. I’m tempted to get Virtual Desktop as its only a tenner and supposed great with more options
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Had Virtual Desktop for years, plays everything and streams 4k smut video.
  • Cheers Hair. If only I could read word you’ve crossed out. But where would you get 4k crossed out word from?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!