General VR and AR chinwag
  • I put it to windowed mode in settings and then minimise it. It will take some load off the gpu but only a bit.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow wrote:
    Nah, it wouldn't work with the Quest controllers so I had to use an old xbox controller, which has a stuck stick making it annoying to fly around.

Get VTOL. It works beautifully with all VR controllers. It's the second best rated VR game in Steam for a reason but the learning curve can be steep. The great thing about it is they now have dual cockpit training aircraft, or at least I have via some bought DLC. You can go in the front and I can sit in the back and show you how everything works. It's so good in MP, even the single player missions. On sale now - £16 is a bargain.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, I've had my eye on that for a while. How is it on the vomit front?
  • Fine. And it looks better in VR than it does pancake. It's usually the other way around. Because it's built for VR the cockpit controls are so good. Again, like Alyx it feels very tactile. You'll be flicking switches and prodding buttons with ease and it's so well designed but that doesn't mean it's an arcade game. It sits somewhere in the golden spot between arcade and sim, but more sim.

The mod campaigns are as good as the default game and there's plenty do to. In MP it is top tier VR.
  • Haven't bought the EF-24 Mischief yet but it looks pretty technical.

• Does it fly realistically? If so, I think I might accidentally spunk £3k on a VR capable PC very shortly. Is my Q3 alright for PCVR in general?
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Does it fly realistically? If so, I think I might accidentally spunk £3k on a VR capable PC very shortly. Is my Q3 alright for PCVR in general?

Q3 is perfect. I’m playing on a £630 PC and it’s awesome
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • ooooooooh if there’s a proper combat based flight sim I’m in.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Does it fly realistically? If so, I think I might accidentally spunk £3k on a VR capable PC very shortly. Is my Q3 alright for PCVR in general?

You might want DCS for that. You can play it flatscreen or VR. VTOL is good because the cockpit is designed for VR so you don't need a HOTAS with a bazillion buttons. 

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

It's apparently very accurate so each plane is expensive. The Quest is good for resolution but I don't find it comfortable. You can go full mental and get a Pimax Crystal but the Q3 is fine for now.

MSFS should do you fine also but you'll need a 4090 or wait for the 5000 series.

• There's a ton of DCS vids here.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa17ccq5CH8ziXWH821fMCxvGX_qMp_IB

Looks insanely realistic right down to the vapour trails caused by atmospheric conditions.

• Oh shit I could get into thay
  • People that are into it are really into it by all accounts. Not sure what kind of controller setup you need.

VTOL on the other hand is fairly simple although the advanced planes are quite a bit harder apparently. Half the fun of the game in SP is figuring the plane out. It's so nice to control them in VR tho. Here's on of the most basic starting aircraft.

• I mean that looks brilliant. Yeah, I’m sold. I was going to buy a new MacBook, but I think I’ll spank the same amount plus a bit more into something VR capable
  • Build a fuck off PC. Upgrade it when you need and play some great Steam games. Plus you can use a GPU (Nvidia) to do some serious machine learning.
  • Very tempting. I do still want a MacBook but this is way too awesome. Where’s the place to buy a decent PC now?
  • Just build one! It's easy and Gurt will give you all the advice you need.
  • Bit agonising waiting for all the parts to arrive though.
  • Oh I can do that I’m sure. Haven’t built one since Athlon days but it can’t have changed much..!!
  • It hasn't changed at all.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Built mine a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. I’d say I saved money but I just spent the difference on better quality parts.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    For ultimate VR comfort I can recommend the BoboVR M3 head strap. Popping off the Quest 3 facia before use as in the picture below eliminates pressure entirely.

£59 with hot swappable magnetic battery, it’s a virtual bargain guv.

Talk to me.

khVUhdO.jpeg

https://amzn.eu/d/805VJaX

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nah, that sounds terrible.
  • I love that they’re arguing it’s ‘mixed reality’ because you can see out around the edges.

Strong ‘it’s not a bug, it’s a feature’ vibes.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Nah, that sounds terrible.

I was sceptical but found this mod the opposite of terrible. It’s a comfy and flexible head strap system regardless. In a dimly lit room, you don’t notice the periphery as focus is forward.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I know they're cost cutting but making it comfy as standard is pretty much essential. Especially for longer PC experiences but still. It's the latest tech ffs. Surely these engineering problems have been solved before.

I guess lighter headsets will help once micro LEDs are used although the Apple one is still a beast. Maybe too much tech in that one.
  • I’ve ordered the Bobo S3, the new Q3 one with the built in fan to keep me cool in the hottest gaming moments. No idea when it’s coming, it’s the battery more than anything else.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I find that the battery of the Q3 is enough for me. I can't do more than about an hour and a half in VR, regardless of whether it's games or videos.
  • It’s crapped out on me once at the very end of a Dungeons of Eternity run, so I’m keen to keep it topped up. I have a good usb-c power bank, so I did manage the other day playing Demeo with Wooks with that in my pocket.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ooh, trying to look like you have an Apple thing.
  • I wish Valve would hurry up with the Index 2. Nobody will hear anything and then a month before release they'll announce it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!