The Battlefield Thread
  • Christ, with the squad bug, grand operations is rancid.

Edit
    Quit
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Xbox Live has been down all day for me, so haven’t played this yet.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I’ve now played it. It’s Battlefield I guess.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    This sounds OK. I might have to give it a try.

If they are adamant that they are not going to show shooters on the mini map, they could at least have it flash a rough area where the shot came from (like a visual representation of an audio signature), with it getting more and more accurate with successive shots from the same area, meaning people couldn't camp out indefinitely.
  • They do show on the minimap but it seems to be under certain circumstances. 
    Sometimes they don't show at all, sometimes a big blob.
  • Rotterdam is a good map.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    That's shit thought it was free if downloaded but it's only free to play for a week

Snot. Gonna be free permanently.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I thought you could play this early with EA Access??
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I thought you could play this early with EA Access??

You need to follow that link that Ian posted and mess about with your sign in on the MS website.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I did. That's how I installed
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I did. That's how I installed

Hmmm. I was playing it earlier, but it took a few hours before it would let me on.
  • I installed from Ian's link. 
    Booted it up yesterday and chose the GET EARLY ACCESS option, it gives you options to buy EA Access or preorder the game, I cancelled that screen (because I have EA Access) and just loaded it up this morning and it was fine.
  • It was a bit ropey this morning getting into a game, but it settled down and squads were working from about 3pm on. 
    It's generally been ok. Some little glitches with aiming that sorted itself on respawn and a jittery camera after a revive that did the same.

UK servers were rammed all afternoon tho.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Managed to get on. Seems pretty rotten. Battlefield 1 2. Might try more tomorrow but it's left me pretty cold. Zero flow to the battles, just either shooting enemies in the back or being shot in the back yourself. No fun.
  • Ha, did you play conquest, because it felt like normal conquest to me, I must admit that the operations objective mode felt terrible without spotting and I won't be playing that.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Played conquest. There just didn't seem the usual flow.
  • I’ve been playing the Rotterdam level and have to agree with Frantic. It just seems a bit random, ala CoD. No real sense of advancing fronts - but that’s probably because no one is playing it as a team.
  • Taking out spotting and having a map full of dark interiors seems like an invitation to camp.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    No spotting in PUBG, Fortnite or COD innit?

Instead of keeping it in and carving a unique teamwork niche for itself they're just rounding off all the knobbly bits that some people want and instead bow down to the current demand of the howling masses. Remember when shooters all felt and played differently?
  • Couldn't agree more. 
    It's ok to be different, might even attract your own audience. 

As far as I remember there hasn't been a flow to conquest since...BF3 I think.
    Played most of today and it's how I remember it. But if you want to live you have to be incredibly cagey. Reckless gung ho will get you killed and frustrated.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    But if you want to live you have to be incredibly cagey. Reckless gung ho will get you killed and frustrated.

Isn't that how it should be ? Unlike cod unless you play Hard-core
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Well, it kind of went a bit more arcadey with every iteration - which is not what I wanted btw. 
    You could lone wolf and capture an objective, rinsing three plus bookoh bad guys, or arm a crate in BF3/4 - I don't know about BF1 I didn't play it enough.
    But, in this because of the gun accuracy and the lack of situational awareness, I.e. spotting, ramboing by yourself will get you murdered quick. 
    I'm only playing Conquest and you have to move in numbers, large numbers, and you really have to make use of cover and move smart. 

I played a bit of grand ops and the lack of spotting and playing with randoms was an utter nightmare.
    But I don't think we'll ever get the glory days of BC2 back now.
  • Sorry for the random stream of thought feedback posts, but things strike me now and then. 

Sound is nowhere near as good as we expect from a BF1 game. Guns boom when you pull the trigger but get shot at in small room and it sounds like they are using a spud gun. In general it also seems a bit quiet, which gives it a very low key atmosphere, I played with headphones this evening and it was a bit better. It's more cracks and snaps rather than bangs and booms. 

If you get killed by anyone beyond 10 metres then the killcam is fucking useless. It just shows a feint red smudge that at distance is impossible to see.

So far there's no sniper menace which is odd because I don't think there's a scope glint and the killcam is not going to give you away. But sniping is hard, the default scope is pants and there so much on the map that people aren't in the open for every long, also some of the assault weapons are just as accurate as a sniper rifle so I see those getting a accuracy nerf before release.
  • BTW, don't get me wrong its not great. It has issues and I wish it was different.
    In fact I wish it was bad company 3 or a modern bfv with cool sandbox gadgets. 
    But I've not played a shooter for two years because I hated the feel of bf1 and I'm never going to play COD again, so it's as good as I'm going to get by the looks of it.
  • This is all good stuff Panty. I'm missing this beta so your thoughts are appreciated.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Oh, just remembered, I consciously tried to get some tanking in today, that shit is tricky!
    I like the change to the tanks ammo stock. Now you start with a fixed amount of ammo and have to find ammo supply stations dotted about the map and then actively reload your stocks a few rounds at a time - a bit like repairing a vehicle in BF1 - a progress metre stops you using your main guns and if you interrupt it you lose the progress/that restock, at least this means you can't tank camp indefinitely like other bf games.
    The two maps suddenly turn bit CQB as soon as you jump in a tank and panic mode can sink in if you are getting attacked by multiple infantry. They are slow and cumbersome, befitting the period I guess.

I'm ok with the soldier health changes I'm not so keen on the soldier ammo change. On spawn you only have the ammo in your current mag and 1 reload, the ammo stations will give you one more reload and that's it. So a total of three mags only. You get a small amount of ammo from running over dead bodies but the ammo dropped by them is universal, if someone else runs over it first then it's gone. This is very, very restrictive. Especially in guns with small magazines, I think one of the rifles only holds 5 shots, so that's 15 total shots, not enough in my opinion. It can sometimes feel like you are constantly hunting for an ammo station.
    Decent support players will be essential.
  • Won't this just encourage enemies to camp ammo stations for easy kills?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Doesn't one of the classes drop ammo crates?

Anyway, I'll be on this from 8 tonight into the early hours, foolishly looking forward to it. I'm actually liking the sound of the "slow and stead with a team" stuff from Panty's posts.
  • Aye, panty's posts make me hopeful that this could be one for Team Awesome.
  • Not so far, there's one health and one ammo station at every objective they are not always sitting next to each other, people are drawn towards them and as a sniper it would be a good idea to get them in line of sight but most of them are situated in and around cover and you the to grab a pack of each resource after you've captured a flag and it only takes a split second to do it. 
    Think BC1 ammo stations, they act in exactly the same way.

There's a change to the flag capture indicator as well, which I like and dislike, you know when there's an enemy presence the bat under the time would show a red portion that differs in size depending on the amount of enemies present? Now the flag capture depends on A how many people present and B how many of each team are closer to the flag itself, two people hiding in the very edge of the flag zone wing capture it if one opposing team member is next to the flag pole. The size of the colours on the bar represent how many are there and how many are close to the flag. It's kind of tricky to gauge by looking at the bar the actual ratio of friendlies to enemies there is present.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!