Of dreams and night terrors and all such things.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just remembered this one I had as a kid - coming downstairs of my parent's house and there's a huge explosion in which I die - and I wake up straight away. Freaked me out that one did - and it recurred a few times. No doubt the troubles (I'm from Belfast) were the root of that - feck me - cheers lads.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cool thread. I generally sleep rather well, but am fascinated by the nature of sleep, why we need it, and what goes on while we are snoozing.
    I saw a documentary on narcolepsy a few years back and the general gist of it seemed to be that actually we don't *need* sleep per se, rather our natural state is to be unconscious and sleep simply allows the chemical that makes us conscious to build back up to the required levels to keep us awake for the 16 hours or so of our waking day. Or something. I await to be corrected in some flamey way.

The whole "do we need to sleep?" debate is more complicated than you might imagine, mainly because we know remarkably little about sleep.  To be honest I haven't studied it in much detail since writing a dissertation on it in the late 90's (and it's likely to have progressed a fair bit since then), but my understanding is that, well, there still isn't much understanding.

Stuff we do know?  Sleep deprivation is definitely fatal in animals - whilst people have been vicious enough to try it in dogs, you won't be surprised to learn that we've never found out if it applies to people.  We also know that sleep deprivation definitely has an affect on our ability to perform tasks properly - on average 17 hours without sleep is enough to have an equivalent effect to being over the drink driving limit.  

Most of the information that we have on prolonged sleep deprivation still comes courtesy of an American kid with the utterly memorable name, Randy Gardner.  He decided to deprive himself of sleep for a school project, and managed it for 11 days, with much of it documented throughout.  Unfortunately both sides of the "do we need sleep?" debate have taken things from his experiences to support their views.  On the one hand, he was documented to experience some hallucinations, and reduced cognitive ability.  On the flip side, he was still beating his friends at pinball on the final night, and seemed perfectly sane when giving a press conference at the finale.  He himself felt that he'd emerged from the experience unscathed.  Certainly he came to no serious harm.

The conclusion of my review of stuff in the 90s was that, based on what little evidence we have, you probably can survive without sleep - so long as you exist in a perfect universe with no surprises, no challenges, and nothing out of the ordinary.  Which of course you don't.  Anecdotally I used to work 48+ hour shifts as a hospital doctor.  Most of the time it was absolutely fine, because it had become a job you could literally do in your sleep, but very occasionally something unexpected would happen, and you'd be thrown.  I got a needle stick injury once, I went to Occupational Health as instructed and the first question I was asked was, "how long have you been on your shift?".  Then she showed me the data they'd recorded from the same question- they had only one recorded at less than 24 hours...

The other issue with studying sleep deprivation is recording sleep.  Randy Gardner may well have actually slept without knowing it for instance.  Most people experience what are called "micro-sleeps" which can last just a matter of seconds, and usually occur if you haven't been getting sufficient sleep at night.  Again, we don't really know what they're for, but they definitely do something.  One bizarre study showed that you could successfully treat severe depression by depriving the sufferer of sleep.  They would show amazing improvements, but...  Even a very brief micro sleep was enough to revert them straight back to their previous state (or worse).  The problem with micro sleeps is that you don't know they've happened, but if you're driving or similar it can be a complete disaster.  The classic is this video which is usually wheeled out to illustrate the point:

So yeah, in the modern world, sleep is definitely necessary.  

(On the dreaming thing - we all do it, every night, so long as we've slept properly.  You even dream in non-REM sleep, although it's very different.  The vast majority of dreams aren't remembered.)
  • Oooh good thread.

I have had night terrors before. I would be fully awake, totally unable to move and staring at a ghostly demonic figure in my bedroom doorway.
    It was truly horrific and I hope they never come back.

I was under extreme stress at the time and I put the terrors down to that. If I was religous fuck knows what I would have thought.

I seem to he quite an active dreamer, I would say 1 in 3 nights I would be able to remeber at least a healthy chunk of a dream. Or I remember more than most. also regularily wake myself up talking, at 
    least its not shouting anymore.
  • My wife suffers from night terrors, frequently being "awake" and demanding that I get the huge spiders/monsters/whatever out of the bed. Just humouring her seems to let her get back to sleep at least. 

I'm convinced my daughter's now getting the same. Frequent wake ups, screaming, inconsolable, but if you yell to wake her it gets worse as she's frightened by being snapped out of sleep. Hard work, and we're seriously considering taking her to a doctor about it.
  • The yelling ws the key to getting out of mine. I would shout and shout but my mouth was paralyzed eventually I would break through and just let out a full on agressive roar.

After that everything was fine.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jesus - we all sound a trifle disturbed - maybe video games ARE bad for you. I assume most of us have had that weird experience of seeing images from a game we are currently into when trying to get to sleep? It usually happens with stuff like Tetris but I still get it from time to time with shmups.

I have on occasion woken up with tears in my eyes - but from laughing in my dream - no idea what at - just remember laughing and waking up feeling great.

My brother used to talk really clearly in his sleep which was a bloody nuisance but that night terror thing sounds ghastly....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Saw this thread earlier today. About time think they've been brought up in many a thread. Right now I can't get to sleep. Keep getting a weird jolt and a fall sensation. This is not so bad compared to what I am used to. I used to spend days awake as a teen and through my early twenties because I was either an insomniac or too scared of sleeping and/or waking up.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    My sleeping pattern for years has been bed at 2:30-3 am and getting up at 10-11 am. I'm apparently a very heavy sleeper but thankfully no snoring.

As stated in another thread, I don't dream. Or at least never, ever, remember even the slightest hint of them. So everytime this thread gets bumped I am gonna feel well left out.
  • How can that possibly be compatible with working? Why not just go to sleep at 10pm one night and get u at 6am instead?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Too many horrific dreams to recall.  One involved children being brutally butchered on the other side of a barred wall and me being helpless to do anything but watch.  Never felt as strong a sense of despair when awake.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Oddly, had a dream last about a zombie outbreak, run of the mill really, until my two year old son got scratched by one.
    I've spent the last 2 hours in a half asleep/awake state wondering if it was actually a dream.........
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • She also has recurring dreams about me cheating on/leaving her, and brilliantly when she wakes up she has the right hump with me, even though she knows I've done nothing wrong. Mental.
    Ha yes, I get that sometimes. Just because you're unconscious, doesn't mean you can't do something wrong.

I don't recall my own dreams much, but I have had quite a few zombie related ones over the years. Certainly post Resident Evil, to bring in a game connection. I think they just make ideal nightmare monsters more than anything. I think I've learned to cope with them better through my years of experience though, and tend to take the fight to them now.
  • Oooh good thread. I have had night terrors before. I would be fully awake, totally unable to move and staring at a ghostly demonic figure in my bedroom doorway. It was truly horrific and I hope they never come back.

Sounds horrible. How real did it seem? Were you really actually fully awake? Can you describe this demonic figure?

I tend to see two types of horrors: a doppelgänger or whatever you call them, taking the form of a family member and acting strangely, or a shadowy figure who is blacker than the surrounding black of the dark room/area.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • beano wrote:
    Keep getting a weird jolt and a fall sensation.

I get that sometimes when I'm on the verge of falling asleep. I did sone research and it's actually your blood pressure dropping sharply as you fall asleep that causes the falling sensation and the jolt.

Something to do with change in pressure affecting your inner ear which is the fall, and also the falling blood pressure causes some reflex in your veins making them pulse, which is the jolt, or what your brain enterprets as hitting the ground after it registers the falling sensation.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • That doesnt seem to make much sense. What's it based on? Might read more on it.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    My wife suffers from night terrors, frequently being "awake" and demanding that I get the huge spiders/monsters/whatever out of the bed. Just humouring her seems to let her get back to sleep at least.  I'm convinced my daughter's now getting the same. Frequent wake ups, screaming, inconsolable, but if you yell to wake her it gets worse as she's frightened by being snapped out of sleep. Hard work, and we're seriously considering taking her to a doctor about it.

My parents took me to the doctor when I had night terrors as they were at their wit's end. There wasn't a great deal the doctor advised, assuring them that I'd eventually grow out of them (and I did). They did recommend that I cut down on TV but I have no idea if that made any difference. I think you're right about the not waking her up thing. My parents did the same. It must be awful as a parent. To this day my mum practically turns pale whenever it's mentioned.
  • Our (2 year old) daughter was hanging nightmares and freaking out at bedtime for a while. She hasn't done so since we stopped watching films with her around, and I stopped gaming much in front of her. This was a while ago. 

She saw me play some FFXIII-2 the other day, killing some huge moth like creatures. She didn't like seeing it, hates moths. She freaked out that night. 

Very clear link there, me reckons.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Everyone on this forum appears to be afflicted by something. I want to start a 'relatively normal' thread.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    How can that possibly be compatible with working? Why not just go to sleep at 10pm one night and get u at 6am instead?

Majority of my working hours are in the afternoon. If I need to wake up early I just set an alarm and roll with it on Starbucks coffee/tea.

@reg very hairy people can still be normal right?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
    How can that possibly be compatible with working? Why not just go to sleep at 10pm one night and get u at 6am instead?
    Majority of my working hours are in the afternoon. If I need to wake up early I just set an alarm and roll with it on Starbucks coffee/tea. @reg very hairy people can still be normal right?
    No.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Everyone on this forum appears to be afflicted by something. I want to start a 'relatively normal' thread.

Everything said on this thread so far is normal, no? Dreams, nightmares etc are perfectly normal.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
    Majority of my working hours are in the afternoon. If I need to wake up early I just set an alarm and roll with it on Starbucks coffee/tea. @reg very hairy people can still be normal right?
    No.

We're not all monsters who howl at the moon and feast on the hearts of your loved ones.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Oooh good thread. I have had night terrors before. I would be fully awake, totally unable to move and staring at a ghostly demonic figure in my bedroom doorway. It was truly horrific and I hope they never come back.
    Sounds horrible. How real did it seem? Were you really actually fully awake? Can you describe this demonic figure? I tend to see two types of horrors: a doppelgänger or whatever you call them, taking the form of a family member and acting strangely, or a shadowy figure who is blacker than the surrounding black of the dark room/area.

It was 100% real, even things like the layout of stuff thrown on my desk next to my bed was correct. The figure was skinny with dark grey/blue skin, and looked a lot like the weird shouting guy in that Aphex Twin video. He was too tall for the doorway so just kind of crouched, staring at me like he was waiting.
  • Creepy. Hard to tell what's real and what's not sometimes.
  • Yeah totally, I mean it felt 100% real but obviously wasn't, I don't believe in demons, ghosts etc etc. Plus I could tell afterwards it was a dream, just not at the time.
  • I rarely remember any dreams but read somewhere that you can't dream and snore. Don't know if there's any truth in this but it could offer some reason as I've been told I snore although I've never heard it! ;) 
    I did have one strange episode with the wife where I'm still not sure who was asleep or awake to begin with but we both finished off awake. The whole sexsomnia thing can be a bit strange and extreme but one of us seemed to be at least mildly affected by it.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I've never had a decent nights sleep in my entire life (seriously). As a child i used to scare the crap out my younger siblings by waking up screaming. As i got older and became more aware of my dream state, i mainly have lucid dreams which are fantastic cause i have absolute control of the situation meaning the possibilites are endless. Doesn't mean i don't have terrifying nightmares too. The worst example was when i saw a shadowy figure standing by my bed, and i unconsciously picked up one of my turntables and threw it across the room! Needless to say that woke the whole house up. lol!
  • I've a funny feeling this thread is going to move on to a discussion on drug use.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Winners_Dont_Use_Drugs.png
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Some winners do, but they get disqualified.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!