Fucking routers and modems
  • It's also possible that he broke the salt circle, so the incantation would not work.
  • I mean duh, didn’t think that was worth mentioning

Next you’ll be suggesting he hasn’t ritually sacrificed a summer born lamb to the elder gods of TCP/IP
  • Wow. Awesome work all. Seriously. I have had to work all day and have bball tonight. But there are answers in there.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • https://unitiinternet.com/velocity I'm with these guys on the 250 plan. fibre to a box on my wall outside. beacon provided by them.
  • Attempt without ISP will happen today. If it fails. ISP call monday.
  • Meant to say I checked out uniti and like, where is the support? Or any information at all about how their connection works??

Anyway key question remains: what have you been plugging your Nokia into? And why not plug your eero into it instead and dump the Nokia?
  • Ok I’ve found some stuff. It’s PPPoE encapsulated so you’ll need a username and password for the eero set up

Remember you can’t use the eero and Nokia together: they’re trying to do the same thing (route your internet and network traffic, provide wireless connectivity, and a non interoperable mesh solution (though Nokia does support basic meshing standard, I’m going to bet eero doesn’t like it)

According to this guide (https://support.unitiwireless.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019105111-Amplifi-Router-Setup-Guide) you got PPPoE credentials in an activation email.

That guide for AmpliFi mesh base station is basically exactly what you have to do for eero mesh base station. Plug the wire coming from your wall into the eero. Set up the pppoe stuff like the guide. That should work. Good luck. Chuck out the Nokia
  • Oh and use the WAN socket in the eero for the wall cable
  • Ah. Cheers. I'll have a play. If I have the info then I can probably do it myself. If I don't then ISP call.
  • So called Uniti. knew it would be useless, because outsourced call centre in the Philippines. They're reading off scripts and the second you mention a non-uniti device they're "out of scope."

They were insistent that I couldn't use PPPoE.

Had to be DHCP. Eero won't let you change ISP settings without being connected to internet.

They said to try bridge mode, and when it didn't work said it was because the eero is incompatible. 

Is that true? Who knows. Can I get a tech out? No. because connection is working.

Now I have a choice of finding someone to help and confirm that it's indeed the eero that's the issue, or buying new gear. 

Sigh.
  • I don’t think buying new gear is going to help you. You’ll still need to do the same thing. Get your ISP login/auth details and use them on your mesh router after binning the Nokia.

Can you get the details from the existing Nokia settings? Or is that an obvious dumb question and you’ve already tried?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Drill and cables. Fucking wifi extending shit, pain in the arse.
  • poprock wrote:
    I don’t think buying new gear is going to help you. You’ll still need to do the same thing. Get your ISP login/auth details and use them on your mesh router after binning the Nokia.

Can you get the details from the existing Nokia settings? Or is that an obvious dumb question and you’ve already tried?

Erm his isp says they’re NOT pppoe encapsulated? It’s just straight dhcp, so the eeri should just be plug and play into the wall cable. Fuck sake now I have to look at the eero instructions fucking routers and isps
  • I’m so confused now. This is what always happens with networking stuff and is why everyone hates it.

Face, have you tried just giving the Eero a factory reset and then plugging it into the wall, without using the Nokia? Because that’s what should have just worked in the first place.
  • I'll try it tomorrow again. I've just written a long spiel to their support email. Gone full Karen. Fuck em.
  • Did try with the eero while I was on the call. But didn't do factory reset etc.
  • heh. Thought I'd try wired into xbox and plex laptop from the eero upstairs. (So not the gateway one, just extender.) Got rid of double NAT warning on Xbox. NAT still strict and it says UpnP failed, which I assume is because there's still 2 gateways going on (both with UpnP switched on.)

If the Plex laptop is also ok, then we might be at a compromise.

I'll live with Strict if Plex works and I don't get booted from MP games.
  • And no. It still reverts to double NAT.
  • Does anyone here have the Three 4G broadband? Or any kind of 4G/5G broadband? I'm tempted to get it for my flat. The plug and play nature of it appeals to me.
  • Yup. I have their 5G router powering everything in my flat. It’s really good. Never had an issue, but there is a 5G mast very near me, so that probably helps.
    Bottom line. It’s cheap, it’s unlimited and it’s simple to set up.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Ah, good to know, thanks g.man. Does everyone know that the PSTN network in the UK is going to be switched off soon? They are removing the voice circuit, and this will also mean all telephones will have to be mains powered. So if you have a power cut, you won't have a working phone, which is going to be a problem for a lot of households. Voice services will be have to be delivered over a low speed broadband connection.

Edit: which is another reason tempting me to avoid wired broadband altogether for the next 2 years, if I have to go into a 24 month contract, as all the work that's going to be needed to prepare for the PSTN switch off in 2025 (by Openreach) will be massive, and bound to cause outages/downtime. Might be worth going down the whole 4G/5G or satellite internet route (starlink).
  • If you can get Fibre, get fibre.
    If not, get a fixed 4G or 5G aerial on your roof.
    If you can’t do that, get a 4G/5G indoor receiver.
    Starlink is good for if you’re somewhere with no other form of signal available (like on a remote island or a big yacht).
  • Retiring PSTN is actually a pain for us.  During storm wossname a couple of years ago we lost power and mobile coverage, and relied on a neighbour for updates on what was happening in the outside world.  We bought a cheap analogue phone precisely because it takes power from the PSTN network so would still be in contact if the same happened again.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Buy a carrier pigeon
  • Only if what it carries is the Thing.
  • poprock wrote:
    If you can get Fibre, get fibre. If not, get a fixed 4G or 5G aerial on your roof. If you can’t do that, get a 4G/5G indoor receiver. Starlink is good for if you’re somewhere with no other form of signal available (like on a remote island or a big yacht).

I have fibre but it's bundled with TV and I've been with the provider for ages so they're happy to just throw me scraps for my loyalty. Currently out of contract so waiting to see what their Black Friday deals are for new customers and if I can't get them, I'm off. Other fibre providers get mixed reviews.
    I can get a small discount with Three through work and found out today there's a 5G antenna directly across the road from me. Makes sense as speed tests on my phone have had 5G beating the WiFi!
    So, why shouldn't I get Three Broadband instead of a fibre connection?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Fibre can be a lot faster, if you pay for the faster packages. And more consistent. A 4G or 5G connection will fluctuate in speed depending on all the other people using the same tower.

We had a 4G aerial for two and a half years, until fibre finally got rolled out here. The speed could be up to 30Mbs on a perfect day, or as slow as 2Mbs on a Friday/Saturday night. Our fibre connection now is a constant 1Gbs for the same price.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Still find it funny that rural Scotland gets fttp before suburban London. I guess it maybe makes sense that way round, and I know London is awkward to roll shit out in, but still, won't somebody think of us plebs?
  • I think it’s just because our government pledged to do it. 100% access to ‘superfast broadband’ (definition of superfast may vary). Okay, they missed their own deadline by two years and counting, by that’s Openreach’s fault for lowballing the contract and failing to deliver.

Gov UK made no such promise, so it ain’t likely to happen.
  • poprock wrote:
    Fibre can be a lot faster, if you pay for the faster packages. And more consistent. A 4G or 5G connection will fluctuate in speed depending on all the other people using the same tower. We had a 4G aerial for two and a half years, until fibre finally got rolled out here. The speed could be up to 30Mbs on a perfect day, or as slow as 2Mbs on a Friday/Saturday night. Our fibre connection now is a constant 1Gbs for the same price.
    Cheers. Might do some regular speedtests on the phone to see how it fluctuates.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!