Fucking routers and modems
  • So net is all basically fine. Connection is fast everywhere. Not completely consistent, but since it's ranging between 100 and 200 mbs faster than I've ever had and sometimes more it doesn't matter.

Xbox is happy.

Plex at home and yarring torrents is golden.

BUT, I can't seem to get the remote server for plex to stay open.

I followed steps for setting up static ip on the plex server laptop itself. And I set up a port forward on eero.

Still drops in and out.

Would my guess that I need to set up my connection as static on the eero be the issue? Advice seems to be that port forwarding always has to involve static ip.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's cos the electrons move anticlockwise in the southern hemisphere, I thought we'd been over this
  • Do you use Apple stuff at home? If so, sack off Plex and get Infuse.
  • Does infuse support remote streaming? (not downloading)
  • No Apple. Paid outright for plex. So it wins on cost.
  • Boy did I make the right decision changing providers.

Static ip costs extra per month, but it's fuck all and was a button press on the app. Net went off for 10 mins while they changed it.

Settings I did yesterday now work. Plex up and running for everyone.
  • Huzzah! Nice work, Face.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Does infuse support remote streaming? (not downloading)

Ignore me. I hadn't read the post properly. It doesn't without a VPN. It's a good replacement for just streaming from a NAS to devices in the home. Its main strength is the amount of formats it supports. Can also play files directly from a cloud account (Google, Dropbox etc) which is interesting. Can work in tandem with Plex.

Anyway, I suggested Infuse because I hadn't tinkered with media on a NAS for yonks and it was recommended by Reddit. Was just amazed out how it just works with minimal fuss including large 40GB files with DolbyVision + Atmos tracks.
  • A new challenger has entered the arena.

https://firewalla.com/products/firewalla-purple-se

This is a replacement for my Eero+ subscription, which did a basic job, but I thought a one-off payment for this little box of joy would be better. My set-up is now...

wall -> modem/router (bridge mode) -> Firewalla -> Eero (bridge mode)

So the Firewalla is my router, but it does all kinds of stuff. Mostly I bought it for the firewall features and the ability to filter stuff out on a device-by-device basic. My kids devices are all set to block social media, adult and gambling stuff. Handy to be able to configure a VPN client and target specific devices too. For example, I've set it so that the living room TV can connect to a US VPN at the push of a button if I want to watch something from the US Netflix collection. Ad-block does what it says on the tin.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!