The B&B Book Review
  • And Face, that’s amazing news! Congratulations to the guy!
  • poprock wrote:
    I know what you mean. I let it slide thinking that maybe the procedural side of things was reflective of the early ’80s.

I mean they all went to school right?
  • Yeah, but only to smoke behind the bike sheds.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Trying out at fat duck with heston today, in fact.
    He must be a serious baker. Best of luck in his direction, that’s one hell of a gig.
    He got it! Head baker. Get in.

Yay, well done him, that's gonna be a brilliant experience. Though I couldn't help but initially read it as 'one who bakes heads' and humming headshrinker by oasis
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Well, I told a friend yesterday and she missheard it as he got married to a fat Thai. so, you know.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Just started on The Hod King. Bancroft is an absolute treat.

Another cracker. I think I preferred Arm of the Sphinx but the arc over the 3 books so far has been superb. Very much looking forward to seeing how Senlin and the Tower are left at the end of book 4.
  • Finished The Poppy War this evening. It gathered a lot of positive buzz last year and was being called the debut of the year in fantasy. I have to say I can understand why. It sits firmly in the grim dark camp alongside Abercrombie and co but has a more Chinese historical background to it. It was very readable and very enjoyable - even when it covered some horrifically dark stuff ( which almost went into the ott realm ). The main idea behind the magic system ( involving drugs and gods ) was pretty cool too.

A very good debut and I will be very interested in how the series progresses.
    On this now.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Finished King’s Wizard and Glass yesterday. Also still working on Arthur Machen’s The Hill of Dreams, which feels like the literary equivalent of wading through treacle. I will finish it, but I’ll be glad to move on to another author once I have.
    Get schwifty.
  • Wizard and glass last of the really really great dark tower books. I finished series, but it never gets better than the first 4.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Wizard and Glass isn’t bad. It’s overlong and has a silly ending, but it benefits from not having a great deal of Eddie and Susannah in it, whom I’ve decided I’m really not very keen on.

Anyway, I’ve finished The Hill of Dreams. Phew! That was heavy going. It’s about a young lad who’s a bit different from all the other kids. He takes himself off into the Welsh countryside and imagines he sees fairy banquets and fauns and such, much of it focused around an old Roman fort. He decides early in life that he wants to become a writer, and will settle for nothing less than writing the most beautiful prose, inspired almost entirely by the hallucinogenic visions he experiences in the Welsh wilds. What follows is a dense, baroque journey into adulthood, trapped inside the characters’ head as he battles with his craft. Light reading it most certainly was not.

Also just finished up The Ragthorn by Robert Holdstock and Garry Kilworth. It’s a short novella presented in the form of diary entries by a character who’s on the trail of the mythical Tree of Life. It wasn’t bad. I want to read a lot more of Holdstock’s work this year. I got into his Mythago Wood series of books over twenty years ago and they got under my skin and never quite got out again. He has a unique take on fantasy; it’s a primal, piss-soaked, mud-slicked world where fantastical archetypes such as Robin Hood and King Arthur are conjured from the minds of the protagonists as dangerous, elemental beings. It’s a provocative, unforgettable world, and if there’s one author I could recommend to you all if you’re looking for a very different take on fantasy, it’s Robert Holdstock. Mythago Wood (which won the World Fantasy Award for best novel) is very good. It’s sequel, Lavondyss (winner of the BSFA award), is simply phenomenal. I was pretty devastated to discover recently that he had passed away a few years ago, way before his time, which has prompted the desire to reread some of his greats and catch up on some I missed.

So...also included with The Ragthorn were two short stories, one by Garry Kilworth (The Fabulous Beast, I think it’s called) and The Charisma Trees by Holdstock. I’ve never read anything by Garry Kilworth before and...my goodness...I never will again. I felt like I was reading something written by a fourteen year old. I don’t think I’ve ever read something so amateurish in my entire life. How the man has managed to get himself into print is beyond me. Fortunately Holdstock’s short was great.

Will be starting a horror anthology called Gutted next.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I finished The Girl Before (decidedly meh, which I knew it would be but decided to read anyway for some reason), moved into the second Mark Lawrence trilogy (so Prince of Fools), which seems good so far. I'd forgotten it was in the same world as the last lot - so I think I've already met the protag?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wizard and glass was the top of the dark tower.

Read This is going to hurt. Humorous diary of a house doctor. Equally funny, sad and rather worrying. Very easy read.

Also read Stephen Fry's Heroes this week. Excellent read....Has me wanting to read the 1st volume Mythos. I suspect there will be a follow-up about Troy which I'll get too. Again..easy to read. Interesting insights into modern day culture and its origins. Also shows how the tales are butchered for film.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    There is going to be a third book. I have both Mythos and Heroes on Audible, will be getting to those right after I finish Clive Barker’s Weaveworld.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Does Fry read the audio versions? I think id like that.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    He does.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've tried audiobooks a few times - I find I either lose focus or fall asleep.

I'd be prepared to give this a try though.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It’s Stephen Fry reading Stephen Fry. I can’t imagine it gets much better than that.
    Get schwifty.
  • I walked out mid way through his one man wankathon at the theatre a few years back.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I fucking hate Stephen Fry
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    All is right with the world.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK wrote:
    I've tried audiobooks a few times - I find I either lose focus or fall asleep.

I'd be prepared to give this a try though.

I can't do it either, maybe it reminds me of drifting off to Five go to Smuggler's Top type audiotapes as a kid. Unless I've read the book before I can't handle it being read to me.

I was trying to listen to Bright's Passage on my commute last week, In the end I gave up and ordered the book instead.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've successfully listened to all of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - but then that was the original radio show and so designed as such.

I've tried the Hobbit , read by a guy called Rob Inglis, who is superb, but I kept dosing off. Probably the quality of a voice which is best suited to this sort of thing.

Also tried Reappraisals by Tony Judt - a rather elephantine modern history of Europe  centred around WW2 - I found it hard to stay focussed as it requires concentrated listening.

I haven't given up on the format - I'd need to try earlier in the day - trying it in the evening really doesn't work for me.
  • Doing Fellowship read by the same chap. S'good.
  • davyK wrote:
    I've successfully listened to all of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - but then that was the original radio show and so designed as such.

I loved that as a kid. Listened to it over and over.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I have listened to Inglis’s reading of The Hobbit and Rings books about four times over. He was a perfect choice for those stories.
    Get schwifty.
  • So that’s The Grey Bastards finished. It has a very m, very shaky start and I was rather close to giving up on it. I am, however, glad I stuck with it as it improved massively as it went on. The setting is nicely done and the world building gradually becomes one of the best parts of the book. It has all the traditional high-fantasy stuff but each species has a nice little twist (especially the centaurs) and it is all nicely grimdark!

It was the characters though that really sold it. The book is heavily influenced by Sons of Anarchy and you can see it in the relationships between characters and their code they follow. They were all great and even lesser characters were given details and nuances throughout.

Overall it was just good fun. Dodgy start but everything came together and launched into a blockbuster series of set pieces, high drama and great moments.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Started reading Children of Time. I assume there must have people talked about it in here before, as I had it saved on a note.

No one told me there would be spiders. How am I supposed to read this before going to sleep?!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Lol sorry ;p
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    O was it you?

It wasn't so bad at first but now
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Someone else might have read it before me tho. So let's both blame them.

And yeah good luck.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!