The B&B Book Review
  • Hugo awards announced then, eh. Best Novel list looks strong, though I haven't ready any of them yet. Novik and Chambers are both class though so will have to get to them soon.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The King of Elfland’s Daughter done and fairy-dusted. Took me a while as the poetic, flowery prose was just too sweet to consume in large doses.

I would’ve been ready for The Wheel of Time next, but I’m biding my time in the hope I can get the fourteen volume set at a good price. So in the meantime, and since my appetite for whimsical narratives wasn’t quite sated by Elfland’s Daughter, I’m going to give Laini Taylor’s Strange the Dreamer a whirl.
    Get schwifty.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Busy week for Mark Lawrence , One Word Kill our today( free on kindle if you have Amazon Prime or 99p if you sign up to Amazon First Reads ).

Also the last of his latest trilogy Holy Sister , really looking forward to that one.
    One Word Kill is jolly fun.
  • I'm in it for the Dungeons and Dragons chat, frankly.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Why did Amazon day I'll get it on 1 May? Is it out already? I'm confused.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Why did Amazon day I'll get it on 1 May? Is it out already? I'm confused.

That’s when officially released but if you sign up to Amazon First Reads you can get it now.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ah yeah I can read it, just the store giving a confusing message
  • I got really bored for a spell in the middle... But the book redeemed itself. Very good in the end, if derivative as sin in some areas. The end was excellent and I can see why the reviews have been so positive.

DnD was the best part.
  • On holiday. Have Norse Mythology (Gaiman) to finish off. Bought Child in Time (McEwan) and The Travelling Cat Chronicles (Hiro Arikawa), which looked interesting and it was buy a book and get another half price at the airport. 

I’ll probably only get through one book.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Finished The Dark Forest, book 2 of the 3 Body trilogy. Mind blowing stuff - might be up there with the greatest Scifi I've ever read.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I just finished 3 body problem last week. Should get on part 2 then?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Finished Prince of Fools. Was kinda ok, but I hear the next two are better?

And then I need a break from fantasy trilogies, and start reading some proper books...
  • Vela wrote:
    I just finished 3 body problem last week. Should get on part 2 then?

Yeah, the second book is brilliant. I've just started the final one.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    And then I need a break from fantasy trilogies, and start reading some proper books...
    I find I don't really read trilogies. At all. Only ones I can recall finishing are Bas Lag and Shattered Sea.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Finished Prince of Fools. Was kinda ok, but I hear the next two are better? And then I need a break from fantasy trilogies, and start reading some proper books...

What’s a ‘proper’ book? And what’s ‘improper’ about a fantasy trilogy?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Anyone read any Lin Yutang?

Any recommendations?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Finished Prince of Fools. Was kinda ok, but I hear the next two are better? And then I need a break from fantasy trilogies, and start reading some proper books...

Why read about Tallowmen or magic or dragons or machiavellian hijinks when you can read about a man sad because of Brexit that's what I say hey hey.

Hope you are well, Elf. I still hate Sagat. X
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    If I'm honest, I love fiction, but find it really hard to digest fantasy (no problem with fantasy writing in games and film, mind).

I don't know why I'm so put out by it.

I'm not completely adverse to the genre, but fuck all that GoT shit, or Philip K Dick (most of it anyway, but I'm open to suggestions... edit - Reading his bibliography, perhaps he's not the dude I really have on mind).

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Heh. I am well! Enjoying the sun in 29C heat in beautiful Mauritius. Reading Norse Mythology.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've got that Norse Mythology book for my holiday too, looking forward to it.

I'm currently reading more of that Philip K Dick shit, on to the Man in the High Castle after enjoying Electric Sheep then having my mind twisted by Palmer Eldritch. Great stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:

Successfully triggered
  • I've got that Norse Mythology book for my holiday too, looking forward to it. I'm currently reading more of that Philip K Dick shit, on to the Man in the High Castle after enjoying Electric Sheep then having my mind twisted by Palmer Eldritch. Great stuff.
    I liked Castle.
    I thought Electric Sheep was self indulgent nonsense. 
    But then I'm a philistine. 

I get a bit sniffy and force myself to read a 'real' book after a couple of sci first or fantasy reads. 
    But then im usually disappointed and go back to the warm embrace of sci first/fantasy. 

I read a lot of a colleagues book club novels (standard fiction) over the past year and the vast majority of them were pants.

I'm currently reading Circe and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Much, much better than Stephen Fry's to this book.
    But then it had the luxury of being able to explore the facets of a character than his does.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Halfway through Children of Time and feel like it is starting to become a bit of a slog to read.

The constant switching between two stories and jumps in time just feel like the story never really gets a chance to take off or develop. Characters get dropped into certain situations, and you only have a couple of chapters to get familiar with it (same goes for the characters themselves), then it's onto the next. You never really get to know anyone, and it feels all very clinic (for lack of a better word).

I'll continue as I like the idea behind it but it takes a lot of my concentration to actually focus on the story and not let your mind wander onto something else.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah, I normally get through a book in a week. I think it took me a month to get through Children of Time.
    Get schwifty.
  • Ive found it hard to get back into reading but this past 3 weeks Ive finished off Monkey, The Three Body Problem, and most recently The Remains of the Day. The latter being something I almost never read but it was a really nicely told story, painstakingly detailed by the main character.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • The Bloody Rose is, so far, Bloody Better than Kings of the Wyld.

A cracking romp.
  • I have a preorder down for the second part of Moby’s autobiography. Really looking forward to it.

The first part, Porcelain was one of the best things I read last year. I don’t usually go in for biographical books, just not my bag … but the Mrs bought me Porcelain for my birthday and it was outstanding. Moby’s no great author or anything, but his tone of voice is spot-on and his story is fascinating. He has a sort of bewilderment about the world around him, and it comes across beautifully. The book closes with the release of Play, and the upcoming second book is about how that world-shagging mega-hit album changed his (already pretty out there) life.
  • McEwan getting shredded by the sci-fi community.

I thought he was friends with Banks? Surely he had a vague idea of what the genre entailed? The quotes going around are incredibly embarrassing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    Halfway through Children of Time and feel like it is starting to become a bit of a slog to read. The constant switching between two stories and jumps in time just feel like the story never really gets a chance to take off or develop. Characters get dropped into certain situations, and you only have a couple of chapters to get familiar with it (same goes for the characters themselves), then it's onto the next. You never really get to know anyone, and it feels all very clinic (for lack of a better word). I'll continue as I like the idea behind it but it takes a lot of my concentration to actually focus on the story and not let your mind wander onto something else.

That jumping around can be offputting - but then that's used in a lot of stories - I found it annoying in Lord of The Rings. The generational thing with the spiders is more offputting - but once I bought into the fact that each new character introduced in the spider portion is the descendant of the previous section it knits it together better. It's a book of enormous scope and fitting in the advancement of the spiders requires lots of generations to pass in order to fit in with the science of the book.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    But then I really liked Children of Time.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!