The B&B Book Review
  • Pet Cemetery
    The Bachman Books
    Misery
    The Dark Tower series
    The Talisman/Black House
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Thanks Davy.
    I might put IT on hold. Watch the next movie, let some time pass then give the book a go.

The Stand looks interesting.

Edit: thanks as well Grem.
    I think I will hold fire on the Dark Tower as it is a series so will take some time. I'm not a fast reader, I tend to binge.

I love the movie of Misery, forgot that was King.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Deffo leave The Dark Tower until you've got a few more of his under the belt.

I'll add Needful Things and Dreamcatcher to the list.
  • Cheers.
    All noted and I will pick them up if I see them in charity shops or whatever.
  • Deffo leave The Dark Tower until you've got a few more of his under the belt.

Which is the one with the shitweasels?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Dreamcatcher. Excellent.

From a Buick 8 is great too. Can't go wrong with a lot of King books, if only he nailed more endings.
  • Can't believe I forgot to include The Stand.

He writes a lot of books that are 2/3 amazing - Cell is the best example of that, with an absolutely blood chilling opening concept that rapidly falls apart. His son, Joe Hill, is far better at ending things. However his recent one, Sleeping Beauties, was excellent.
  • Pet Sematary
    Misery
    Skeleton Crew (which contains The Mist, The Jaunt and Survivor Type among others)

I remember enjoying The Eyes of the Dragon but it's been years since I read it.

The Bachman Books are worth reading too.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Ooh, I've added those as well. I wanted to start with IT but the library never has it, and I didn't know what other titles to look for.

Last book I finished was The Handmaid's Tale, which was great. I've seen the first season only, and saw that before reading, but I think they compliment each other really well. Enjoyed the book just a little more than the show, but both are great. The book feels a bit more like a look inside the head, as you read a lot of thoughts about events. The show is obviously very visual, and added some scenes that aren't in the book, but are easy to imagine as a possibility when reading. 

Am currently reading volume 2 of The Sandman, and loving it. I've read volume 1 years ago, but never wanted to commit to spending the money to collect them all. Yay for libraries.
  • Currently reading A Clockwork Orange. Great so far.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Oh, read The Outsider by Albert Camus on holiday. Short but absolutely brilliant.
  • MoesTavern wrote:
    Pet Sematary
    Misery
    Skeleton Crew (which contains The Mist, The Jaunt and Survivor Type among others)

I remember enjoying The Eyes of the Dragon but it's been years since I read it.

The Bachman Books are worth reading too.

Skeleton Crew is on my Kindle as back up reading between full books - I love it, Night Shift and Different Seasons which were all massive books in my childhood.

Eyes of the Dragon is a great shout - I loved that too, must get a hold of it.
  • Deffo leave The Dark Tower until you've got a few more of his under the belt.

I have never read a king other than dark tower.

Have read first 4 volumes multiple times.

Like the first 3 at least 4 times +, 4th at least 3.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • 11.22.63 is so good. Highly recommend that.

Pet Semetary and Salems Lot are fantastic examples of his horror writing.

Dark Tower books are brilliant.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • 11.22.63 is so good. Highly recommend that.

Pet Semetary and Salems Lot are fantastic examples of his horror writing.

Dark Tower books are brilliant.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a great little novel he wrote under the pseudonym Richard Bachman called Thinner  that is worth a look.

Has a good ending too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Currently reading A Clockwork Orange. Great so far.

Heh, I first read that in my early 20s and found it hard doing until I got Nadsat. Makes you realise the film is an excellent telling of the tale.
  • Tv series of 23.etc is really good.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Carrie is King's best, most complete work.

IT is his masterpiece up.until the very end whe it doesnt just jump the shark, but leaves orbit.
  • The ending (plus various other parts) are entertainingly mental I thought. Given it’s a book about a shape shifting, intergalactic killer clown I could live with it.

The Night Flier from one of his short story compilations was wicked, and made into an okay low budget film in the 90’s. Unlike IT, which has been made into a big budget unscary shitfest.

I just read The Stalin Front, a German novel from the 50’s about the sheer insanity and meaningless horror of war on the Eastern Front. It was fucking brutal.

Not Stephen King, obv.
  • https://www.versobooks.com/blogs/4422-student-reading-flash-ebook-giveaway
    Posted in. A couple of spots. Free ebook on Marx from verso.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Carrie is King's best, most complete work. IT is his masterpiece up.until the very end whe it doesnt just jump the shark, but leaves orbit.

Endings have often been the kicker of King's work.  I'd like to see him start from an ending and then write a book to see what he comes up with.

I suppose if his endings were all  "killed the big monster / alien and then everyone went home" we might ultimately feel short changed too. In a book it's better to have an air of mystery about an ending as the medium is best at that.

If you are dwelling in the supernatural then an author should have an other-worldly finale too - as opposed to it collapsing down to resolution in our physical plane.  But as much as he tries that it can be hard to get your head around as his stores start very much in our reality.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:

And...

davyK wrote:

Heh, I first read that in my early 20s and found it hard doing until I got Nadsat. Makes you realise the film is an excellent telling of the tale.

I'd heard that the book is a great deal more visceral in it's description of violence, and ends differently. Keen to explore the differences first hand at some point.

Currently reading Kafka's Castle... I'm a short way through it. I've been aware of his reputation for some time (especially as he's one of those writers who actually has a word attributed to his work), but aside from dystopic imagery, wasn't entirely sure what to expect.

It's complicated... I can see why he's considered to be so great. You also wonder though, how many of those cognitively syncopated exchanges are actually intentional, or a result of the incomplete state his work was in before his death.

K is fantastically inconsistent as a character though. You don't know whether you should side with the guy and stand him a drink, or jump in and give the needy, passive/aggressive prick a smack in the fuck.

But then critics suggest his work is an existential mirror...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Ah, Kafka. Only ever read Metamorphosis, which was fantastic. Picked up lots more when I was in Prague many moons ago (inspired after seeing his house), but haven’t read any others yet.
  • The Trial is real good.
  • So Jeff Sparrow is a fairly prolific writer.

I've previously mentioned in here his amazing book on Paul Robeson.

He writes regularly for a bunch of quality leftist press, and the guardian (zing!).

He also is a radio host.

https://scribepublications.com.au/books-authors/books/trigger-warnings

Anyhoo, have just started the above, Trigger Warnings: political correctness and the rise of the right.

Only 32 pages in and it's already brilliant.

Quick potted history of the term pc in first chapter, then second chapter is all about the left and it's various guises through the 20th century.

Its an overview, but he does such a good job of creating a plausible narrative and hitting important points.

Thoroughly recommended.

(he has a new book coming in November about fascism post Christchurch. Will be all over it when it drops.)

I Stan hard.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    And...
    I'd heard that the book is a great deal more visceral in it's description of violence, and ends differently. Keen to explore the differences first hand at some point. ... .

There are 2 versions of the book - one has the final (the 21st) chapter removed and that is the version on which the film is based. I think that was published in the US.

Burgess prefers having the last chapter included. He wrote 21 chapters deliberately as 21 was the age of consent at the time of writing.
  • Finished trigger warnings. Fantastic.

On to "A rightful place"

Its a series of essays released to coincide with the Uluru statement from the heart.

(statement now spoilered because it's longer than I thought in this format.)
    Spoiler:

Its fascinating and frustrating. (still no treaty and still no constitutional recog or voice to parliament as recommended.)

Noel Pearson writes the first essay, and he's an exceptional writer and thinker.

Some of his insights have been setting off light bulbs, and (the good side of his being a lawyer) some if his clarifications and distinctions of words we can take to be pajoritive to easily (conservative) are awesome.

His discussion of the history wars is so on point too.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Anyone else on The Testaments then? This good.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Anyone else on The Testaments then? This good.

I've got it, but haven't started it yet.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!