Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Kitchen Confidential - Probably the best memoir I've read. Funny, depressing, honest, raw. Bourdain writes from the heart.

The Nowhere Men - Follows the forgotten men of football, the scouts. Intimate view of their work, the world they inhabit and their success and failures. Also highlights how much they get fucked over.

Chasing the Scream - Global tale of the war on drugs. Bleak beyond words at multiple points but a pignant insight into how fucked the whole thing truly is.

Two Jonathan Franzen novels are next up.
  • Still ploughing through One of Us.

Comprehensive look at brevik and victims.

Lead up, event, trial.

As mentioned previously, it's particularly fascinating given more recent events. Portends a lot of stuff.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Finished a bunch of things recently, including the second book in Gene Wolfe’s The Book of the New Sun and Samanta Schweblin’s delirious and thoroughly excellent Fever Dream. But right now I’m reading Mervyn Peake’s Titus Groan. I compared it recently to a friend as the literary equivalent of Christmas cake; it’s dense and rich so you only want to consume it a little at a time. It’s going to take a good while to get through the whole saga.

Up next: Harlan Ellison’s I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.
    Get schwifty.
  • I picked up a novel while on a wee break for the first time in what feels like about 20 years.  I honestly think the last one I read was The Da Vinci Code when all the hype about that started up.

The Black House by Peter May.  It was quite shite, tbh.  

The attraction was that it was set on Stornoway and since we were on a small Scottish Island at the time, it felt fitting. 

It's revealed in the first chapter that the main character's child had died in a hit and run about 4 weeks before we join him.  Throughout the book, he never gives so much as a fleeting thought of his boy again until it's clumsily inserted into the denouement.  So that was a bit weird.

There was casual misogyny that ran throughout.  The main character never meets a woman that doesn't find him attractive or is able to hide it.  Women are described by how attractive they are.  A 15 year old girl is described as "not unattractive, in a plain way".  There's also a scene where 4 topless schoolgirls are disturbed on a beach.  We get descriptions of 'pert breasts' and 'long pink nipples'. The author was about 60 years old when he wrote this.  

Which brings me to the biggest issue I had with everything which was that more than half of the book is flashbacks written in first person.  I think that this creates the feeling that this is the author speaking.  It's here we get the descriptions of underage tits, the irresistible lead and spying on people in the bath and it all just came across as creepy.  It meant that the parts that were well written (his description of life on the islands will have you convinced he grew up there) got a bit lost in my thoughts about the author.

Anyway, I now cannot remember when I last read a good novel.
  • What did you read before The Da Vinci Code?
  • Can't remember.  I read it to be part of the conversation at work which would have been around 2004.  The Da Vinci Code kinda put me off novels, tbh.
  • Halfway through Blood Meridian. A bit in the previous chapter or so almost made me physically sick.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    .  The Da Vinci Code kinda put me off novels, tbh.

Oof. That's a tragic sentence.
  • A mate of mine had highly recommend Da Vinci Code. I read it. It was a pile of shit. Never listened to him again.
  • Kitchen Confidential - Probably the best memoir I've read. Funny, depressing, honest, raw. Bourdain writes from the heart.

I dont frequent this thread much so good to catch this.

Absolutely brilliant book. He says it was written for friends and colleagues and it shows in its honesty. A more naturally written, honest memoir would be hard to find.

I have just started Boss of Bosses off of Bourdain's recommendation in KC. So far so good. I dont normally go in for mob boss books, especially the chavvy genre of them that seems to have been created over the past decade or so.
    This feels different though, written by one of the two FBI agents that built the case it has insight like no other of its type could.

I have also started Robert Rodriguez Rebel Without a Crew, which again by its nature is very real. Should be on all reading lists for film courses but wont be.
  • Just given up on Steve Martin Born Standing Up.
    A good start but just shy of halfway through and he has met his wife and is at the point where we all knew him. Not a lot left to say after that but I did genuinely enjoy reading about the early part of his life and how he broke through.

Up next...
    Gary Younge Another Day in the Death if America
    Yes the Guardian writer. He explores the stories behind the 10 deaths of young people killed by guns in a given day in America.

David Runciman How Democracy Ends.
    A what is next after this system we have.

Dee Brown The American West
    I have started this and it is fascinating but the writing style is heavy. An exploration into how western america was formed, the struggles, the advancements.
    I'm not far into this but it has really helped me to better understand the American psyche. It isnt written that way as such but we are all products of our society which is a product of history. It is good to read about that era of American history without it being about the politics of the time.
  • Nearly finished People Who Eat Darkness by Richard Lloyd Parry, which is about the Lucie Blackman disappearance in Japan in 2000.  True crime isn't my usual thing, and this sort of case is particularly unsavoury, but it's equal parts ludicrous and gripping.
  • Spinning Silver.

Novik is good.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    That’s on my list of must-reads.
    Get schwifty.
  • I prefer Uprooted so far but I'm not too far in yet.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    That’s on the list as well.  Just those two, though.  Not remotely interested in her Napoleonic dragon series.
    Get schwifty.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    A mate of mine had highly recommend Da Vinci Code. I read it. It was a pile of shit. Never listened to him again.

Foucault's Pendulum instead.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Facewon wrote:
    Matt_82 wrote:
    .  The Da Vinci Code kinda put me off novels, tbh.
    Oof. That's a tragic sentence.

Yeah, although it wasn't like I wasn't reading many beforehand.  But there was no interest after that.  

It also taught me that popularity often meant simple and accessible so it wasn't all bad.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Finally got myself a library card today. For some reason going to the library and asking for one seemed like too much effort in my head. It doesn't even cost anything.

Brings my back to when I was a kid and had read everything at some point in the bus that would come by weekly. I loved going to the library.

It's not the biggest library I've seen, but I found out they have graphic novels so I picked the first two Sandman. Didn't see the third one.

Also picked up the Handmaid's Tale. Will see how that goes.

Best thing, mine is just part of the whole OC library group, so I can put books on hold and have them sent over to my branch.
  • Interlibrary loans are a global thing, no? You can order in any book from anywhere in the world – you just might have to wait a while.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Interlibrary loans are a global thing, no? You can order in any book from anywhere in the world – you just might have to wait a while.

My wife works in Edinburgh University interlibrary loans.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    FINALLY I GET TO RESPOND TO POPPO WITH A LEGIT MY WIFE
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Interlibrary loans are a global thing, no? You can order in any book from anywhere in the world – you just might have to wait a while.
    That's pretty cool, don't think the one close to me is a part of that though. I feel so stupid now for not realizing libraries might actually take advantage of current technology. Think early teens must have been the last time I went to one, just when computers started to become a thing you would actually see if your daily life.

The convenience of looking up if a book was in or not, all by yourself.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fallout : A year of political mayhem by Tim Shipman.

An entertaining , informative and thought provoking account of the shitstorm that was the era around the 2017 General Election.

Lots of splendid quotes to colour the narrative that is a good vehicle for remembering all the nonsense that happened as well as providing some insight as to the reasoning behind some of the apparant mad decisions. 

Has a good summary at the end that draws some conclusions and leaves some open questions; in particular, for me, in what shape the Labour Party really is with respect to how well they did in the GE and how much of their performance was due to happenstance and not a function of their performance and their creation of new voters.

I'm still reticent about Corbyn, but I'm perhaps with him more than I was before I read this.  As rational as I try to be about his (and McDonald's) relationship with the IRA, I have to confess to having an emotional blind spot about it too which poisons my attitude to them even though I am in agreement with their argument about addressing the cause of terrorism - something the West still hasn't learned anything about.

But I also have some feeling for a handful of the Brexiteers who really did try at the start and then realised what a enormous task it was. I always wondered what David Davis actually did in that era but he seemed to work hard - and when he became enlightened to the difficulties was accused as going native by the madmen.

Some key decisions were taken far too early with no understanding of the complexities and consequences implied by them; particularly the ECJ topic.

Thoughtful stuff then whilst being entertaining. Easy to read too - it only took me so long to read this because it was so bloody hot in Crete.

Recommended.

I'll definitely be looking at the prequel which covers the EU ref.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Can't remember if we have a comic thread.

Picked up black science v1 and kill or be killed v1 today, because I stumbled on a great comic shop. Been a while. Both from Image.

• We do. It’s called Bamf Snip Pow or something like that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I gave my opinions on Watchmen in this thread so I wouldn't worry about which thread to post in.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The Parade by Dave Eggers is the best book I’ve read this year and I’ve read at least, um, 8 other books so far.  Srsly, it’s quality and probably his best fiction work.
  • So, up to the day of the attack in "one of us" (brevik/Norway mass shooting bio/history).

Details I didn't know or had forgotten currently blowing my mind.

There's multiple sliding doors involving incompetence and bad luck.

I'd forgotten he was in a police uniform, and I didn't realise how important that was for him getting on to the island where he went on the shooting spree.

Fuck. Incredible book. Hard yards though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!