• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Finished Bruce Lee : A Life

Covers his death in some detail. It seems there really isn't much of a mystery. One was created so as to avoid a scandal as he was found dead in his mistress' bed with pot in his stomach. He loved his pot and hash.

He almost died a month earlier with heat stroke; he was especially sensitive to heat it seems. He had his sweat glands removed from his armpits which would have only made him more vulnerable. His brain swelled as a result of it. This may have been made worse by the meds he was taking for pain which was the result of a long term injury he sustained in the gym when he didn't warm up properly years before.

The opinion is he died of heat stroke which caused his brain to swell. He was exhausted after making Enter the Dragon which he put crazy hours into and had lost weight. He was enjoying his woman in the Hong Kong summer heat in an apartment with poor ventilation. That on top of his weakened state (a 2nd heat stroke is quite likely) and his body just couldn't take it.

I hadn't realised he died before Enter the Dragon was released. Sad that. 

It's also easy to not realise Kung Fu was unknown in the West before he came along. His impact was quite something; esp considering the amount of martial arts that abound now in films.

Good book if you are interested in the man.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • So the "men writing women" twitter account is a gold mine...

https://twitter.com/men_write_women/status/1189612179735175175?s=09

And this one lead me to read AA Gill's wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._A._Gill

What a fucking ride.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Face, has anyone ever told you that you have an angular, brutalist, minimal piece of Spartan arse?
  • Face is lumpen, self-loathing, fleshy and grey.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Face is lumpen, self-loathing, fleshy and grey.

Accurate.
  • Especially when the alarm goes off at 4am.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I finished Something Wicked This Way Comes last night.  I liked it well enough, but this was my third Bradbury book in a row and I was getting anxious to move on to a new author.  He has a very particular way of writing that’s oftentimes staccato in its rhythms, and I wasn’t sold on much on his dialogue.  Just like Halloween candy you can sometimes have a little too much of it.

Have now started Novik’s Uprooted.  By comparison the prose here is a little...workmanlike, but it’s probably the perfect antidote to the sugar rush of Bradbury.
    Get schwifty.
  • Facewon wrote:
    So the "men writing women" twitter account is a gold mine...

https://twitter.com/men_write_women/status/1189612179735175175?s=09

And this one lead me to read AA Gill's wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._A._Gill

What a fucking ride.

AA Gill was an absolute cunt. The world is a better place without him.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I finished Something Wicked This Way Comes last night.  I liked it well enough, but this was my third Bradbury book in a row and I was getting anxious to move on to a new author.  He has a very particular way of writing that’s oftentimes staccato in its rhythms, and I wasn’t sold on much on his dialogue.  Just like Halloween candy you can sometimes have a little too much of it. Have now started Novik’s Uprooted.  By comparison the prose here is a little...workmanlike, but it’s probably the perfect antidote to the sugar rush of Bradbury.

Read that one a loooonnggg time ago. Enjoyed it.  That's the one with the merry-go-round ?   I read it and The Halloween tree in succession. Think it was in a similar setting.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Reading Dark Sun at the minute though it is heavy going.

It's an account of The Manhattan Project but covers the espionage that surrounded it too - it was hiving with Russian spies.

The British input was pretty important it seems; especially in the early period when best approaches to the various problems ,including Uranium purification, still had to be figured out. A lot of the work the US did was the manufacturing which required enormous resources. They contributed a lot of brain power too of course - not least toward the enormous engineering problems to be solved - but it was very much an international effort.

The surfeit of Russian and East European characters with long surnames is giving me a bit of trouble, and there is a lot of detail. But I am enjoying it.

There's a prequel called The Making of the Atom Bomb that is reportedly easier going and more on the science of the challenge - not sure if I should seek that out first and return to this. The focus of Dark Sun is on the spying , the hydrogen bomb (which is more about fusion than fission and was the 2nd device dropped on Japan), and the politics during and after.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m struggling with Uprooted a bit.  It’s not very well written.
    Get schwifty.
  • What?!

Not liking it is fine. Badly written though? Come off it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    That’s my opinion.

EDIT: I actually said not very well written as opposed to badly.  It isn’t badly written, but it feels like it’s at the lowest possible publishable quality.  Dialogue’s a bit cringe too.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m going to keep going with it, but I’ve already removed Spinning Silver from my wish list.
    Get schwifty.
  • That's a shame. Beautiful books for my money, but we all like different things.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Raiz confirmed myso
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    What’s that then?
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Just me being silly
  • Yeah Uprooted was fantastic.

Just finished the new Joe Abercrombie, 'A Little Hatred', on holiday last week. Absolutely brilliant return to the world of the First Law, set about 30 years after The Heroes. Could not put it down and didn't want it to finish.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm messing the end of The Wheel of Osheim. Midway through Milkman too. Gonna finish that then have too many books to choose between...

Haven't read any Abercrombie except the two main trilogies - the other novels/novellae worth it then?
  • Spinning silver>>Uprooted
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm messing the end of The Wheel of Osheim. Midway through Milkman too. Gonna finish that then have too many books to choose between...

Haven't read any Abercrombie except the two main trilogies - the other novels/novellae worth it then?

If you liked them, then yes. His best two books, I think, are Best Served Cold and The Heroes. Sharp Ends is great fun too.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Spinning silver>>Uprooted

I assume this refers to storyline.  I don’t necessarily have a problem with Uprooted’s story yet, just its delivery.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Any books people have struggled with over the years?

I have a few :

Fiction:
    Infinite Jest David Foster Wallace. I'm not sure why. I liked this but for some reason just stopped reading it. I have gone back to it twice. 

V Thomas Pynchon.  Had heard good things about this but I don't like the writing style. It's seems to be well crafted but I find it offputting. Another I have gone back to twice. I have persevered with unusual styles before so I'm not necessarily blaming that.

In both cases I just haven't been hooked. I've only gone back because they are well thought of. I'm not sure I will find them worth the pain.

Non Fiction:
    The Second World War Winston Churchill. The 1st volume of this behemoth has been beside my bed for an age. The 1st volume is about the political machinations and it's a drudge. I want to get past it so I can get into the meat of it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Nope, can’t do it.  Had to drop Uprooted.  Immediately picked up Susanna Clarke’s Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and am already having a much better time.
    Get schwifty.
  • I’ve read a bunch of Pynchon but always struggle with the hotel bit in V. takes the wind right out of my sails.

Infinite Jest was a breeze, it’s got so much going on it never felt like a chore to get through.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think I have a better chance with Infinite Jest to be honest.

I gave up on War and Peace 2/3 through. I was pretty young - late teens - and I just got bored with it.  I then breezed through Les Miserables.

I can't think of much else I abandoned.

I read the first Game of Thrones book and really didn't want to know what happened next. It was a huge shoulder shrug to me. Haven't watched the series either.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!