Games you've never played
  • HL2 felt mysterious to me and that's why I loved it.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'm not sure you could say it was 'another generic FPS' at the time it was released though.
  • I think I'll give Dark Souls a button press or two then.
  • Wohoo! The thread can help you with literally anything you get stuck on.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I'm not sure you could say it was 'another generic FPS' at the time it was released though.

I can and I have.

I generally don't care for FPS games, but every review I read and every person I spoke to said it was great, so I installed it and I can honestly say the only good part is the opening segment. After that it was just like every other FPS.
  • krs wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Grim Fandango

Booooooo! Boo, sir, booooooooo!

It's top of the list. I'm pretty sure I'll love it.
  • I have both Dark and Demons, should really play them.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, I missed Grim Fandango too. Why has no-one remade this for iOS yet?
  • I've never played Dark Souls or Demon Souls. I feel i should but i have so little time for gaming that it seems like the daftest game to buy ever.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    If krs is playing Dark Souls, I'm playing Dark Souls.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Playing a game until it offers up something worth sticking at sounds an awful lot like work. Life is too short frankly. If a game doesn't grip an individual then it fails for that individual.
    True, but that's not at all what I was suggesting!

Reg, I wasn't aware that you'd played further than that. As far as I knew, you'd stopped playing at the Metal Boar. Which would be absolutely fine of course, but if so you genuinely wouldn't have seen a shade of what the game has to offer and wouldn't be in any place to say the game is either "definitely not this" or "definitely the best thing ever since ever".

Saying a game isn't for you, or you don't like whatever aspect about it, is absolutely fine of course. Judging an RPG as a whole after 30 minutes wouldn't be, IMNSHO.

That's what puts me off RPGs I guess - by the time I go back to them I can't remember where I am etc...even the quite linear Zelda games leave me like that.....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This has actually scared me when I think of the number of games I HAVE played. Can't really think of any BIG NAMES.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I haven't had a Sony thing since PS1, so everything on PS2. ..
    Guessing you played Okami on Wii, then? Did motion controls feel ok on it?
    Yeah, they were pretty well suited really. Obviously I don't know how well they worked in the original version, but I'm not sure how using a pad would be better than drawing stuff using the wand pointer.

RE: Dark Souls - it requires an adjustment in approach from just about every other current game out there, and you either embrace that or you don't. If you do, it's incredibly rewarding.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    This has actually scared me when I think of the number of games I HAVE played. Can't really think of any BIG NAMES.

This is me also. Owned almost every console and followed mags and websites for fucking years so I always knew what was coming.
  • Ive never played Minecraft either. I don't see the point in it, even the "OMG amza-o minecraft" pictures I have scene have failed to garner more than slight exhale of indifference.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Not played the Batmans also. 

@reg you get Okami HD iI'll get SotC HD. 

Is there a just given up on Fred?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There's two I think. What have you given up on?
  • You should definately give the Batman games a go. 
    Not everyone likes them which I understand but they are well worth putting a couple of hours in to find out.
  • FranticPea wrote:

I can and I have.

I generally don't care for FPS games, but every review I read and every person I spoke to said it was great, so I installed it and I can honestly say the only good part is the opening segment. After that it was just like every other FPS.

I never understood all the praise for Half Life 2, although well put together, atmospheric with good physics it didn't seem to be particularly innovative to me.

I have to disagree with you about the first though. The best FPS at the time was probably Quake 2 which still follwed Doom's basic template of shoot lots of monsters whilst looking for a red key card. Any story was told in text between levels or in the instruction manual. With it's interactive set pieces, voice acting, A.I and level design Half life constructed a believable world. It was a game changer imo.
    Xbox/PS3/Wii U: Enragedwhale
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I want a tutorial. Sue me. Civilization 5 has a great tutorial and X times more depth than anything else I've played in the past few years.actually, I kind of just want to go play Civ again...

The tutorial for Souls is the community, either via the orange soapstone messages in the actual or on various forums/wikis etc. They made a game and let the community solve/play it. Ever get stuck, just post a question and you'll get a ton of hints and tips, that was part of Demon's Souls appeal for me.

In terms of game form, everything was explained pretty clearly bar the online system, but the mystery of that was part of the appeal of it, it was so much more than 'join lobby search for x yadda yadda'.

Bonfires were where you went to you when you died, as evinced by returning to them when you died, there is nothing more to them than that, they are just checkpoints to divide the game up. As for saving etc, the game says right at the start "when this sign shows the game is being saved" except in Dark Souls it actually means something, cos god knows I skipped it before realising that, as I'm so used to seeing it in every chuffing game ever at the moment, but rarely means shit.

It's one of the few games that looks utterly obfuscating, but just sitting and looking at stuff in front of you really does help, everything is there without the need for laborious tutorials, it just takes a little bit of effort on the players part, which can be frustrating at times, but I felt it made me 'learn' better than any tutorial.

Not that it is a game for everyone, at all, and I totally agree with the idea of a more subtle learning curve etc but for someone who gets so frothy over Nintendo, great games design, different stuff like Binary Domain, and all the other stuff you love, you really, really, really should try and finish it one day, as it is 1) wonderfully different 2) brilliantly designed 3) a great challenge to tackle.

Y'know, leave it 5 months or 5 years, but do it, I'm pretty sure you won't regret it if you do.

Or you won't, but c'est la vie. Gimme a solitary hour on it with a fresh build at Regstock and i'll show you like, in the flesh, how it just kinda becomes this thing in your hands to play with, like a proper 'game'. I dunno, wooly term, but I just reckon you can get something out of it and that there is a lot of vociferous and elitist opinion putting you off. I just wanna share the love. I WANNA SHARE. OPEN YOUR GOB H I WILL PUT IT IN. Wait.

Edit: I've desperately tried not be cunty and say you are wrong, or you are playing it wrong or it is the second coming (it isn't, but it is a damn fine game) because I don't believe you are wrong or anything as obviously, OPINIONS. We just tend to agree on a fair bit and although I don't have the hectic life you do it is still very rare for me to put more than 30 hours into a game these days, but DkS has clocked up over 100 hours of my time on two different formats, and there is still stuff to do, so I just genuinely feel there is something there for you, whenever you get around to it.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    You should definately give the Batman games a go.  Not everyone likes them which I understand but they are well worth putting a couple of hours in to find out.
    Played the demos caught a few hours gameplay. Deffo my thing. Think Frthnkr or someone else I know or heard of managed to go through it all not realising that there was the weapons leveling up system. Their second play through was said to be like 'rolling naked over a silk half inflated kilometer square'; I'm paraphrasing ofc.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    I honestly can't think of any BIG games that I haven't played. Everything is so accessible now so no one has any excuse not to have played any pre-2000 classics, they've all been remade, re-released or have become available via questionable means.

Still wish I'd played Vib Ribbon and System Shock 2 which, I think, both had a pretty limited release. Oh and I need to get around to playing Bastion.
  • Vib ribbon is a game i regret missing too, loved the idea but I couldnt afford many games at the time so my money went on the big games.
  • Minecraft.

Tried it for the first time last week. Bloody boring. Really don't get it. It's virtual lego without the charm.

I also played Angry Birds, finally, this week. Is that it? Is that the game the casual masses have been going mad for? Did I miss something? You ping birds at pigs? That's all?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I honestly can't think of any BIG games that I haven't played. Everything is so accessible now...Oh and I need to get around to playing Bastion.

Which is available as a Chrome extension.
  • Ali wrote:
    Minecraft.

Tried it for the first time lasti week. Bloody boring. Really don't get it. It's virtual lego without the charm.

I also played Angry Birds, finally, this week. Is that it? Is that the game the casual masses have been going mad for? Did I miss something? You ping birds at pigs? That's all?

Yeah I never understood the AB hype.
  • Mass Effect for me.  Liveinadive has lent me the 1st one... I played a while, but fuck me is it dated!
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • Tempy's eulogy to Reg was moving.

My sentiments exactly, if ever there was a game worth getting over the hump with it's DS.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Oh I've never played Okami

I've started it twice. Never finished it.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!