Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Me and Kow did it together.

Whatever makes you happy, sure... 

but what about the Konami code? o_0

@P Lazzy

I've only ever heard nice words about the game, so I'm keen to try it on the strength of that...
    Much like McCarthy's The Road, which nearly had me jumping of a cliff, and not for the reasons you'd expect...

But I'll never know until I try the game, I guess...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I've not played Killer 7, which is supposed to be pretty good.

It is good, but I have to qualify that with the acknowledgement that parts of it are incredibly obtuse, and deliberately so. Like the 'chores' in No More Heroes, it is at times a satire on video game conventions. At times this is amusing - the air vent in the first level comes to mind. At other times, collecting the clues to get through a locked door (which happens on three separate occasions) and searching rows and rows of empty houses become almost impenetrable - keep gamefaqs to hand. However, the visuals, soundtrack, and disorientating locations are brilliant and the varied and imaginative boss design rivals that of the Metal Gear Solid series and almost anything by Capcom. Brilliant game, so long as you approach it with a suitable degree of ironic distance and enjoy being thrilled and disorientated in equal measure.
  • Also as long as you like shit.
  • Also, the audio design.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've never played Killer 7 either
  • Audio design's the one thing I had no immediate issues with.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Also as long as you like shit.

Sigh, I'll bite - how far did you get?
  • Don't recall that [audio design].  Was too busy wading through the shit.  Followed very quickly by not bothering to wade any further through the shit.
  • Choke wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Also as long as you like shit.
    Sigh, I'll bite - how far did you get?

See Reg's comments re: Dark Souls.
  • Choke that post read like some low-shelf apologism. Game was ambitious, to a point (mostly in trying to examine US-Japan postwar relations), but also redundant. Making shit games to point out that games are sometimes shit is to tread the lane of cowardice and durrrr.

Real talk tho had it just been a recurring bit on Liquid TV back in its day I'da dug it hard.
  • Well, it's a flawed game. You get dropped in at the start with no exposition and no understanding of the basic controls - the environment constantly shifts from the fantastic to the quotidian, and characters speak in an archaic English which to the ears sounds like the ringing of a broken down modem. However, it's eclecticism is its strength - it's like condensed Beck in video game form. I really enjoyed but there were things that really annoyed me about it so I appreciate the criticism.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Making shit games to point out that games are sometimes shit is to tread the lane of cowardice and durrrr.

This is a really interesting point but isn't that the way satire works? Think of Brass Eye, South Park, Nathan Barley, Rape of the Lock, Gulliver's Travels - all terrible by the standard of their professed genre but deliberately so in order to make a social, political or ethical point.
  • Well, no - those are all eminently readable/watchable. Doesn't carry for videogames, which need a pretty powerful textual excuse to be broken/boring I do find.
  • I see. Nathan Barley is head-ache inducing nonsense filled with horrible characters doing terrible things to each other, but that's ok because we're passive observers and have a certain degree of ironic distance. Whereas in video games, you actually have to be the perpetrator of these terrible things. And if those actions are broken/boring, you can simply refuse to participate.
  • But if you refuse to participate you can't play it.

Very tough to do a game that apes tropes well, as No More Heroes confirmed with its "hey look at this bland open world and boring minigames it is funny" but eventually it wears pretty thin.
  • Possibly, but there's also a question of the rhythm that underpins any piece of entertainment and whatever your topic, you mishandle that at the peril of the entire exercise.
  • I've not played Prototype or Infamous. Or Killzone. Or Resistance. No intention to do so either.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Big man step up in here say big ting
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I've not played Prototype or Infamous. Or Killzone. Or Resistance. No intention to do so either.

You're doing well.
  • Killzone 2 is the most expensively square videogame I've played this gen. Is sort of amazing.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Don't mention that shit
  • The only thing it was useful for was getting to chat to some of the PS3 people, however briefly KZ2 was in favour.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have KZ2 and 3 under the tellie. They're not getting played.
  • When I say chatting to I mean actually fantasising about shooting them in the face while shooting them in the face.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Well, no - those are all eminently readable/watchable. Doesn't carry for videogames, which need a pretty powerful textual excuse to be broken/boring I do find.

South Park's a very good frame of reference, I'd say.

Can you imagine South Park with the same scripts, and a higher level of visual (as in figurative) fidelity?
    Large parts of it works, purely because it looks so crass...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Can anyone guess what this one is from and what it does?  No googlin'.

DOWN
    R
    UP
    L
    Y
    B
    X
    A
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I did it and it started raining.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Stretfurghter speed unlocks iirc possibly
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've googled it and close but no cigars

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!