Dark Souls

• I hadn't heard of this either. Sounds okay but looks like the combat could do with some work. Can't block/parry all the time as it's on a cool down? Sounds like a weird choice.

Looks pretty and smooth though
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Been back on Dark 1 for the first time in about 5 years.  I was sick of it back then but I've managed to avoid looking at it for long enough for it to be a Good Game again.

Inspired by ENB's "Classy" runs, I went knight, stuck with the starting gear and held off levelling until S&O (42 damage per hit, no thank you).  Also gave myself Havel's ring because fat-rolling through the first few bosses with base HP was bad enough.  Butterfly was actually pretty scary.  It's probably more fun to do what ENB does and level from the start, maybe pump Vit so you can be a fat tank man.  Then I tried a not-very-speedy run (~2hrs) as the starting cleric, no glitches or anything, just a nice way to freshen it up without it being too punishing.  Might try to figure out a route for the knight.

Grabbed the Trilogy for £33 from Shopto as I never did get round to 2 or 3's DLC.  Remastered looks really bright and washed-out to me but it'll be nice to have it for convenience.
  • Cool.

That's all i've got

:)
  • I never did play 3's DLC. Was it any good?
  • 3s DLC wasn’t bad, but very uneven - Ringed City the far better and more generous of the two.

The problem is that the standard of DLC was set so high for the series that the DS3 DLCs feel...ok, and nothing more.
  • I thought it was great. I actually didn't like DLC for 2 that much. I know i'm in the minority there! I still played it and liked it.. just didn't get all the raving about it. Anyway its more really good Souls what more can you want.
  • Yeah ds3 dlc is superb
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Had a quick Gravelord Sword run through the Remaster.  It was worth buying just for the silky smooth Blighttown and NLR, which feel almost wrong after putting up with the original chugfest for so long. 

Went straight through to 2 (SotFS) afterwards.  It was quite fun, once I got used to the sluggish controls, to go through the first half of the game with an appropriately vague memory of it all, my brain sometimes nudging me towards illusory walls and valuable items.  Earthen Peak into Iron Keep was the point where it started to grate.  Several tough enemies who chain-pull into a comically fast sprint and hyperarmour through your attacks while an equally tough ranged enemy pings you with arrows/magic.  The DLC really doubles down on this kind of thing.  Thank god you can re-spec because taking on those mobs with a great hammer was not a fun time.  Demon's and Dark1 make you the butt of the joke every so often but this game's a big bully!

There are things I like, and I enjoyed it enough to do almost all the bosses (left a couple of 2v1 fights).  It has a great selection of ridiculously large weapons.  Powerstance is a good idea but never quite as cool as it should be.  Demon of Song stands out next to any boss in the series but comes after a far-too-long trudge through Amana.  Even the DLC has some fun stuff but is similarly marred by repetition and long gauntlets of punishing encounters.

So it's onto DS3, it's all the things you like about Dark Souls...again!  Buffed Estoc is appealing at the moment but I always seem to switch to Strength/Faith the moment I find a large mace.

Are we likely to see more Elden Ring at this Xbox thing this afternoon?  It's been a while.
  • Did you do Fume Knight? That guy took me forever. Think i re-specced twice to beat him lol, eventually some dark infused scythe or something did the trick. I think i was to choose one to play through again right now it would be 3, i think its the most consistent, doesn't quite reach the highs of 1 but doesnt really have any bad bits.
  • Fume Knight was the DLC boss for 2, yeah? He was a right dick, iirc.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    I'd heard that Fume Knight was tough but he was easy for me because he never went into his second phase.  It was just the basic moveset and no crazy elemental damage.
    Wiki wrote:
     During the first phase, if you manage to keep Fume Knight ultra great sword glowing with fire due to his upper smash attack, he will not infuse his Ultra Great Sword. You can force the upper smash attack by drinking estus flasks near him. Enjoy a much simpler fight :-) This works with any items. Try fast using items like throwable urns and etc.

Guess I was spamming Estus like a scrub I mean tactical genius.
  • Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck wish i'd known that lol
  • So after really getting into Bloodborne and Nioh recently and feeling like I actually ‘get’ this genre of games, I’ve decided to go for the originals this time, the creators of the genre...the Dark Souls trilogy.

However, I’m going to start with Dark Souls 3. I want to get Dark Souls Remastered on the switch for portable gaming so I only picked up 2 and 3 in the current Xbox sale. I’ve heard 3 is ever so slightly more forgiving than 2 so decided to start with that.

Only played 40 minutes today but managed the first boss (first attempt) and made it to the fire shrine thingy. Also killed a random and far more challenging icy shiny monster thing that was tucked away right by the start-that was more of a challenge.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Woah woah woah.Some people will be very upset if you call Dark Souls the original :) Demons Souls is the original, i struggled to get into it but the PS5 remake looks incredible. I think Dark Souls 3 is a good place to start graphics and gameplay wise.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Going for 3 first is just wrong.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    WRONG!
  • Yeah I wouldn't call DS3 more forgiving than 2 even though Scholar of the First Sin has dumb "try hard" baiting enemy placements, 3 also has some really arbitrarily tough parts early on. 

I'd recommended just going 1,2,3 because jumping around chronologically is going to be weird for gameplay elements - especially with 2 and 3 having fast travel from the off, but DS1 being a purer experience in the early game with navigation of the connected world being important.
  • Yeah all good points. I did look into it and can completely understand the difference in gameplay could take some getting used to when I eventually switch between the games.

I was only going to get DS3 but DS2 was so cheap I couldn’t resist.

Just got to find the time to play them now.
  • Having started Demon's and given up because it's just too clunky for me - and too hard, I booted up Dark Souls on PS3 and immediately felt more at home.

Switched to PC and have played a good few hours. Amazed just how well the world hangs together with the shortcuts and the overall layout. It is marvellous.

I've always struggled more with the PC version compared to PS3 and after 7 failures on gargoyles (did it first time on PS3 yesterday), I switched to 30fps. Feels like a different game, all feels slower and easier to see what the enemies are doing. For the first time ever, I'm actually playing a game at 30fps out of choice.
  • I never really got on with the remaster at 60fps to be honest. Something about the graphics. They look too clean.
  • I don't have that one. I'm playing the original with the fan patch that ups the res to 1080 (from 720!) and unlocks the framerate. I'm keeping the higher res but sticking with 30 fps.
  • I too struggled to get into Demons. Remake looks amazing though.
  • I love the remaster. The cart rarely leaves my switch
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I am continually amazed at the level creation in these games. I’m working through Undead Settlement and thought I had most of the area mapped out and sorted...only to find a church I can enter with even more interesting stuff to explore!
  • Djornson wrote:
    I too struggled to get into Demons. Remake looks amazing though.

I did finish it at the time and rated it one of best games I've ever played. But it's hard to go back to after Dark.
  • In Blighty now, died once to Capra (totally understandable as the first encounter is always a wtf is going on moment) and died to Gaping - don't think I've ever died to him before.

Halberd +5 is making life a lot easier compared to my other playthroughs. However, got toxic'd so that was game over last night.

Am I getting old or is there only one Basilisk in the depths? I've only seen one and I could have sworn there is an area with 3 or 4 together. Maybe I'm getting mixed up with the big tree later on. There was a pit I decided to go around so maybe they are in there.
  • Yeah there's a pit you fall down through the floor and there's a shit load of them down there. You can easily miss it though.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Thought there were maybe two not in the pit?
  • Found the buggers. They are down the drain/pit. Got the evil eye ring so that's good.

So Queelag done and I'm now in wandering around pondering what to do next mode. Darkroot basin I think.

Forgotten how awesome it is to hang around the church area and hear the bell ringing from other players.
  • Getting wrecked to bonewheels in Aramis now. Good times :-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!