The Car thread
  • ...if at all.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Cheers g.man. balls gotta pony up some money to get myself added to her car insurance policy.
  • You might be surprised Dino, sometimes adding a named driver reduces the policy price. Mid contract that will be unlikely though.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Eric wrote:
    You might be surprised Dino, sometimes adding a named driver reduces the policy price. Mid contract that will be unlikely though.

Shes up for renewal so sorting it out today. My knowledge of fully comp for other car in household was wrong. Glad i didnt have an accident in her car these past few years.

Adding me brings the price up, even though im older, had no claims for over 5 years etc. Go figure.
  • Yeah it's just random. I added my dad to mine and it went down £50.

Job titles affect prices too apparently.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Looking to replace my car later in the year. Its old and needs some tlc. The tlc costs more than the car is worth. It needs new 2 x new front wing panels as both have really bad rusting. A new rear wiper and motor. It has a stuck starter pin. Though car still runs. The exhaust muffler metal has corroded and come off. Well layers of it have over time. Also camshaft sensor needs replacing. Been advised that cambelt and water pump should be changed this year as well. Depsite all this it still passed mot.

Seen a few Octavia VRS's (2010 and around 70,000 miles) for around 5-6k mark. That would be the most ive spent on a car ever. Anyway my current car a diesel tdi has 115,000 on the clock. But all the repairs i dont think are worth it. Though i really like the car.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Looking to replace my car later in the year..

Hullo!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Looking to replace my car later in the year..

Hullo!

You live on an island so how would that work i.e. me getting a car from you? Thats alot of travelling from hampshire.
  • It doesn’t really just a bit of car
    Sales humour
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    As all
    My mechanic friends say £100
    An hour they charge is not for the time it takes it’s for the hours it took them to learn the skill .

Tip tip go to Halfords they fit bulbs for free

Since when?
  • I'm planning on running my wee MiTo until it dies, it's a 2011 plate and I've had it since 2016. I still find it remarkable that a 1.4 petrol car with 135hp still gives me 45 urban mpg. Especially since it's nearly a decade old. If anyone does need a new battery I can recommend https://batteryfactory.co.uk/ I just fitted a Bosch AGM battery which I bought from there, to get it delivered in less than 24 hours is pretty crazy in this kind of climate, but they managed it! It wasn't even a courier company it was just a dude in a flashy beemer, probably management staff I'm guessing due to all the furloughing...
  • Just watching the review of the new m340i touring on carwow channel (youtube). So you can use an android phone to open the car door but not an apple phone. However inside the car supports apple play but not andriod auto. Who makes this shit up?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    And I bet the internal USB port still doesn't output enough power to charge the phone when it's turned on.
  • Bob wrote:
    As all
    My mechanic friends say £100
    An hour they charge is not for the time it takes it’s for the hours it took them to learn the skill .

Tip tip go to Halfords they fit bulbs for free

Since when?

Pretty sure since always
    The Forum Herald™
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Just watching the review of the new m340i touring on carwow channel (youtube). So you can use an android phone to open the car door but not an apple phone. However inside the car supports apple play but not andriod auto. Who makes this shit up?

hahaha, seriously, that's fucking cracking
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Ze Germans are not amused
    The Forum Herald™
  • What a time to be alive! BMW has just emailed me to tell me that they've changed their iconic logo.
    It now looks like this...
    2HVuqfM.jpg

That's money well spent!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I had that email, ignored it, what's changed??
  • More interestingly, the same email also contained a link to their page about how they're developing Hydrogen Fuel Cell technology, which in the long term, is probably good news.
    mobility-with-the-power-of-choice-hero-dt-1920x570.jpeg

You can read about it here.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    The thick outer ring is now see-through.
  • Gives them something of a problem though when they put it against a white background on every page of their website...
    xmSdDAV.png

ah well...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    The thick outer ring is now see-through.

tenor.gif
  • :D
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    More interestingly, the same email also contained a link to their page about how they're developing Hydrogen Fuel Cell technology, which in the long term, is probably good news. mobility-with-the-power-of-choice-hero-dt-1920x570.jpeg You can read about it here.

Good stuff, I still recall the Top Gear argument for this against electric cars. Especially makes sense in countries with vast distances between filling stations/charge points.
  • "...Hydrogen will then be used primarily in applications that cannot be directly electrified, such as long-distance heavy duty transport,” said Klaus Fröhlich...."

I wonder how much heavy duty transport will drive the need for hydrogen refilling pumps.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yeah because transporting Hydrogen to all these filling stations won't be fraught with danger??

edit: I dunno, it seems to me all these things are merely kicking the can down the road. Seems to me a far better solution is to bin off the emissions regulations bollox. Tax short journeys heavily and close off roads in city centres. Electric personal vehicles (as in man packable) are around a grand, and many are currently doing 20 mph with a 15 mile range, take up far less space, and have zero emissions where they're being used which contributes to better air quality. Whilst I might choose a onewheel, someone else might take a scooter, or a mobility scooter

Also means less guilt about freight and long commutes
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • CEO of aston martin getting fired. When they floated on stock market the share price was £19. Its now 35 pence. Great leadership by the CEO there.
  • The 2020 Type-R looks nice, especially in the new Boost Blue colour. Could love to have one of these in the driveway.

2020-honda-civic-type-r-chicago-04.jpg

2020-honda-civic-type-r-chicago-08.jpg
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    We should get him in to sort out coronavirus. He's had experience of running a large company, so is qualified to make the decisions needed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!