The Car thread
  • In combustion engines, yeah. Most plans for hydrogen cars nowadays concentrate on fuel cells though – essentially hydrogen batteries.
  • There are pros and cons of both electric and hydrogen approaches for cars. The way I see it neither is really ready for mass adoption yet, but for political reasons electric cars are being rushed into use anyway.
  • Ignore me
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Unfortunately hydrogen is very energy-intensive to extract in the first place so the efficiency of a hydrogen electric car is about a quarter that of a battery electric car - if and when we have so much clean energy generation that we can reserve capacity for extracting hydrogen then it might have a chance; until then it will remain a niche, underdeveloped technology. Battery charging speeds are increasing rapidly, perhaps not quite to the point of being comparable with 'filling a tank' but probably not far off within the next decade or so especially if results do come out of the research into solid state batteries. The battery charging network, or lack thereof, is likely to continue to be the main issue though without major investment.
  • Building a new car is massively harmful to the environment. Building an electric one doubly so.

I think the worst thing the car industry has done for the planet is get people hooked on leasing and finance, as a way of creating unnecessary demand for new cars all the time.

Encouraging trends for bigger and bigger, heavier and heavier, cars hasn’t helped either. More production, more energy required, etc.
  • The issue with electric is you will never get complete mass adoption. There are many people who cant afford an electric or hybrid car. Or live in areas where home chargers arent possible. Trucks, vans, heavy goods vehicles etc wont go electric, that model doesnt make financial sense. All of this additional need for electricity adds to more fuels being burnt in powerstations to generate the electricity and hence more emissions.

The 3rd world arent going to go electric. Places like india, nigeria etc. Brasil use a mix of gasoline and ethanol that is heavy on the ethanol. Electric vehicles for me arent the future they are a false dawn.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Didn't Samsung(?) just recently have a breakthrough in sold state batteries, obvs nowhere near market yet, but steps in the right direction
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • A full lifecycle analysis on cars tells you the best option is to keep whatever car you’ve got for as long as possible, reduce how often you use it, and consider carefully how to best deal with disposal when it finally turns obsolete.

With most consumer appliances, we would be ideally served by ditching our ‘replace’ mentality and returning to a ‘repair’ mentality. Cars are the biggest appliance we own.
  • The problem is they've become so complicated they're not easy or cost effective to repair past a certain point now.
    The Forum Herald™
  • True, yeah. And that’s something that should never have been encouraged.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    The problem is they've become so complicated they're not easy or cost effective to repair past a certain point now.

They're not really a lot more "complicated", they are a lot more locked down though. Manufacturers are more interested in selling next years cars than making sure this years can be fixed
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • They are more complicated as there's a lot more parts features and computers. The days of adjusting things at home with a screwdriver are long gone. Everything needs to be scanned now

There's also stuff that you didn't used to have. Trust me they're a night mare.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yeah, they are a lot more complex. I don’t believe everyone should go back to doing their own spannering. But the industry’s not set up for owners to have their cars maintained long term by professionals either. It’s set up to sell more finance packages.
  • I'm also of the belief they make things more difficult on purpose these days. Having to take off front wings to change light bulbs, for example
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Ah, but the theory is that your LED light bulb will outlast the car’s useful life so changing it isn’t an issue.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I'm also of the belief they make things more difficult on purpose these days. Having to take off front wings to change light bulbs, for example

Im pretty sure that’s just the Bentley continental
    The Forum Herald™
  • Renault Megane.

No, wait. That was the whole front body and bumper you had to remove.
  • poprock wrote:
    Renault Megane.

No, wait. That was the whole front PU you had to remove.

Nah you can turn the wheel and Access a panel

The Forum Herald™
  • The Internet lied to me!
  • My mate's Alfa GT involved taking half the car apart for a bulb.
    That or employ a Victorian child with small, dispensable hands.
  • Can’t count Alfa they sell Less cars than Bentley
    The Forum Herald™
  • Changing them on my 1 Series is like that bit with the tree stump in Flash Gordon.
  • As all
    My mechanic friends say £100
    An hour they charge is not for the time it takes it’s for the hours it took them to learn the skill .

Tip tip go to Halfords they fit bulbs for free
    The Forum Herald™
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That's the thing though, I guess we have different ideas of "complicated". How long does it take to change the cam and injector timings now compared to twenty years ago??? Yet a supposedly simpler task lime changing a bulb has gone the other way
  • I tell you what, my Fiat Coupé was brilliant for accessible headlight bulbs.

Lights were part of the clamshell. Lift the bonnet, lights go up with it. Simple clips on the inside holding the rubber backs on, pop them open and twist the bulbs out. All accessible, and presented at shoulder height. So easy.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    God bless Bangle
  • Wonder what he’s doing now.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    No idea in truth, I was never a fan at the time, but many of his designs have aged pretty gracefully. Whether that's because he was so influential that a few years after his designs they were copied and therefore became contemporary, or because they were actually better than my younger eye saw I don't know
  • I though having fully comprehensive car insurance for myself meant that i could drive my wifes car. Is that not the case? Do i need be a named driver on her policy to drive her car with fully comprehensive car insurance? Or does it differ from insurer to insurer
  • Most comprehensive policies would only cover you for 3rd party F+F in a vehicle other than the one named on your policy.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!