The Car thread
  • I believe the car was right there to look at.

Anyway, there’s no way of proving it was related. Circumstantial, innit. No point pressing the matter.

I’m just satisfied that her, and her Mum who tried to hush it up and blame me instead, have both had a reality check with the Police popping round to see them. I hope it gave them a scare. I hope they’ll think twice in future.

The upshot is that I’m stuck paying an insurance excess. But I won’t pay that anyway, because the bodyshop I use cover the excess for me. I’m not using the car during lockdown, so I won’t miss it for a few days.
  • Poprock, thats utter crap (police response). Fuck that id be fuming. Cant you speak to your insurance company and explain what happen to see if they can do anything?

I'd want revenge. A dish served best cold. Dont let them get away with that the wankers. Let her get the car fixed then key the whole thing.

Ps. On the type-R, so many reviews have said its the best FWD car you can get. I am interested in what you would consider to be better.
  • I find the Civic ugly and dull. But I find most modern cars to be that way. I’m not the target audience.
  • Here’s a few good ’uns. (I’ve owned and loved the Fiat and the Mazda.)

Mitsubishi 3000GT
    1990-mitsubishi-3000gt_100462856_h.jpg

Fiat Coupé
    1.jpg

Lotus Elan
    kLk6hKfPgdvOHeH1l_nglRKll2c8gve6rWWLbeDEfU0rC6n2aPE_ZCL860uzymqqSI1pMlCRcBAsMN2YboSPR98IEJjhxg42WFvwtbaVayvhYrY

Lancia Thema
    lancia_thema_8.32_6.jpg

Saab 900 Turbo
    a48a8acfe4b464b66193144644593830.jpg

Lancia Fulvia
    01.jpg

Mazda MX6
    maxresdefault.jpg

Peugeout 205 GTi
    1987-Group-A-Peugeot-205GTi-1.jpg
  • Eclectic taste there.

The nice Civic is a grower. It's a bit over styled but the more you see one the nicer it is and it drives nice. Just delivered one to a customer.

I can see why Reg is worried about Dad Rock™ when he already owns the ultimate Dad Car for the Dad that doesn't give a fuck about anything but space and vfm™
    The Forum Herald™
  • Oh i dont disagree mate there are some fantastic classic fwd cars. I thought you were taking about current models. If i ever won the lottery, it would be very hard not to have a gran turismo garage of cars.

One my little one is grown up i hope to get a weekend car ala what you've posted above. It remains a dream...
  • Modern stuff I’d still probably go with an 500 Arbarth or a hot Golf, over the Type-R. But like I said, the Honda’s just not for me.

GOOD NEWS!

My MR2’s getting repaired. The insurance just okayed it.
  • poprock wrote:
    Modern stuff I’d still probably go with an 500 Arbarth or a hot Golf, over the Type-R. But like I said, the Honda’s just not for me.

GOOD NEWS!

My MR2’s getting repaired. The insurance just okayed it.

Thats great news on MR2.

Bob is right the TypeR does grow on you. I didnt like it at first. Tbh i would love a M140i but its too small for my needs. A GTI or R golf would be fun. Owning a jap car has been a dream for a while though
  • Gotta say, my Fiat Coupé 20vT was an absolute hoot to drive. So much power through such a poor chassis. Bury the accelerator and it could wheelspin in third then torque steer so much you wrestle it to keep straight. Kept me on my toes in a very entertaining way. Definitely the most fun FWD I’ve had. Pissed all over your modern Mini, for example.
  • 1ea739fa-bmw-1m-coupe-jay-kay-0-1024x555.jpg

These are cool but silly money now.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    1ea739fa-bmw-1m-coupe-jay-kay-0-1024x555.jpg

These are cool but silly money now.

240i ? Thats not a M2
  • BMW 1 M Coupe

I'd have an M2 mind.
    The Forum Herald™
  • poprock wrote:
    Gotta say, my Fiat Coupé 20vT was an absolute hoot to drive. So much power through such a poor chassis. Bury the accelerator and it could wheelspin in third then torque steer so much you wrestle it to keep straight. Kept me on my toes in a very entertaining way. Definitely the most fun FWD I’ve had. Pissed all over your modern Mini, for example.

Ah that reminds me of before kids when I owned a fiat barchetta. Fun enough as the little 1.8L was, I met up with someone who’d plonked in the Coupe’s 20vT and uprated everything else (suspension, chassis, etc) and that was insane
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I believe the car was right there to look at.

Anyway, there’s no way of proving it was related. Circumstantial, innit. No point pressing the matter.

I’m just satisfied that her, and her Mum who tried to hush it up and blame me instead, have both had a reality check with the Police popping round to see them. I hope it gave them a scare. I hope they’ll think twice in future.

The upshot is that I’m stuck paying an insurance excess. But I won’t pay that anyway, because the bodyshop I use cover the excess for me. I’m not using the car during lockdown, so I won’t miss it for a few days.

Couldn't they sample the paint? Or am I going to far into CSI TV show territory?
  • They probably could but they haven’t got the resources or budget I don’t expect
    The Forum Herald™
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The insurance company could decide to pursue a civil case against them, burden of proof is reduced in civil law as well, from beyond reasonable doubt to balance of probabilities
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Bob wrote:
    They probably could but they haven’t got the resources or budget I don’t expect

Yeah, really not worth it for such a tiny incident. Plenty of more serious crime to be dealing with in Glasgow.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Eclectic taste there.

The nice Civic is a grower. It's a bit over styled but the more you see one the nicer it is and it drives nice. Just delivered one to a customer.

I can see why Reg is worried about Dad Rock™ when he already owns the ultimate Dad Car for the Dad that doesn't give a fuck about anything but space and vfm™

My car is the most boring car on the planet but
    1) it doesn't break
    2) it is automatic and I am lazy
    3) the back doors open out the wrong way and that's still insane to me.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Automatic is the only way to go now. I’d never go back to manual. Really modern automatics are so good there’s no advantage unless you are planning on going track racing and even then a lot of automatics have paddle shift back ups.
  • Manual still have a more involving drivin driving experience imho. Get ona b road or a lovely country road and manuals shine through. Though they are going the way of the dodo.

Issue with autos if you buy used and car has over 50k on the mileage then they are expensive to fix and maintain properly.
  • I’ve done a thorough survey* of cars owned by the protagonists of popular TV shows and can confirm that Reg is a murderer. Possibly a serial killer or money launderer.

(*Not a thorough survey.)

Dexter Morgan, Dexter:
    9IbZKhcCwk0LFvLrv1_G1B9gqG2MfEN7IL-cMHUab8v3FnVHusAYhOtEgOsGiuGogWDuZf6cIezRV4YXIUmnHFDxlHhDN34

Marty Byrde, Ozark
    MhhSwLhBLZiUblnfEolQOUWJpq0Ir0FCpjL7WwMxoryRREoKw56L20xgMaL-A1v-6ljw0a6TdunajaLHOQMUsqBKCacjUg9UmQGjmuGxRa_12TqOq5jrRNF2djtkN7LmBZcR

Reg:
    vauxhall_meriva_1_4t_16v_se_5dr_mpv_2570038547488341685.jpg

Pretty conclusive, I’m sure you’ll agree.
  • Big Walter White energy to it too. His car was kinda similar.
  • Hypothesis continues to check out.

Walter White, Breaking Bad:
    mCX7KsWsFR9xPQH_bLpiDAZBSKess1US3SDnKwr9UlRzI489UYGWkoSuogIeptNBdtvoJbe3qHcpr0sNRxH5eTJkasBbFcIO_AQ6_6pQ558kBUejuOqn0C9FbQNW0c3IKsLA
  • Reg is a bad ’un. Confirmed.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You knew that before the car reveal
  • Thise backwards opening doors will be a blessing when you start having to load Mario (I am assuming you will name your child Mario btw)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Please. It will be Funky Kong Hollis.
  • A good auto box will run forever no problem
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Aye. Glad I have this. Manuals are for wee boy racer fucks.

If I've got a wee kid, automatic lets me focus attention on the road and, y'know, now kill my kid.
  • I mean, it doesnt take that much attention.
    I prefer a manual personally a big part that I dont want to lose that skill over time.

If others want Auto then whatevs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!