The Car thread
  • There have been rumours about the future of the Alpine brand over the past week or so. Every car journalist in Britain loves the A110 – some have even bought one with their own actual money – so there’s been quite a bit of worry around whether petrolheads need to buy one ASAP before they disappear.

The announcement’s in. Renault are going to turn Alpine from a sportscar maker into an electric-only brand.

Values of A110s are going to skyrocket.
  • Seems like big changes at Renault. They are also letting 15,000 people go.
  • Someone near me has an Alpine. Looks lovely
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Covid-19 has fucked the car manufacturing industry. The whole shebang has been working on such tight efficiencies that a few months with less sales has pushed entire companies to the brink.

Renault’s sales have dropped by a fifth. Nissan are closing Spanish factories, dumping 3,000 jobs. McLaren have laid off 1,200 staff. Williams F1 is up for sale. VAG’s profits are down 81%.
  • It is a bit like the aviation industry.
    I totally understand the hardship these companies face in the current climate but the fact they have had to take such drastic measures is indicative of late stage capitalism and it's failings.

Decades of profit all be it with some bumps in the road but now they struggle to ride out a disrupted quarter.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Someone near me has an Alpine. Looks lovely

Yeah, they’re gorgeous cars. Best French motor since the 2CV, I reckon.

I was already into them just on looks and reputation, but after having a brief go of one I was looking up finance deals. And I’ve never considered buying a new car before.
  • I wonder if legally enforcing large companies to hold x amount of money in reserve could help prevent companies being pushed to the brink. After the financial crisis, banks were legally required to hold x amount liquidity in reserve and have been regularly stressed tested.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Do we want to encourage stockpiling of cash in a slowed down economy. Shouldn't we be encouraging spending under these circumstances??
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • We should be encouraging stock piling of cash in the good times so that it can be spent in these times.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    We should be encouraging stock piling of cash in the good times so that it can be spent in these times.

Thats what i meant
  • LivDiv wrote:
    We should be encouraging stock piling of cash in the good times so that it can be spent in these times.

I know this is for another thread but my business always holds money for rainy days (obvs not millions but on an individual level a v good amount). Every year I leave it in the business and every year the accountant says it should be removed, every now and then a letter arrives from HM wanting details on why on earth a business would hold money rather than spending or releasing as dividends. It is viewed suspiciously and as a Very Bad Thing. I now feel vindicated in having done the right thing so why every proper business (not like me) should be made to do the same, I don’t know? They dont want you to it, I guess?

• It seems like common sense, maybe all limited companies should be required to do so. You would hope some lessons would be learnt from this, wont happen. What will happen is limited companies exempt from ir35 will now go inside ir35 so the teasury can claw back more money. I know more than a few contractors who go fuck all help during this pandemic and are currently outside ir35. They have been told by their clients that they will go inside ir35 next april now. Was supposed to be this April originally
  • Just washed my car.
    Yeah that's right I picked the one day it has rained in a record breaking dry spring to do it. What about it?
  • Reminds me i have snow foam and a snow lancer to use on mine. Never used snow foam before. Should be interesting
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    A lancer, isn't that Halo
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Nah, it’s a Mitsubishi.
  • I thought it was a bit like an Alfa.
  • Snow foam’s great. Spaff it all over the car and let it lift dirt particles away from the surface, then rinse. It looks cool, it’s fun to do, and it works.
  • Doesnt it get rid of dried on figs?
    My parking space is below a fig tree and them fuckers are worse than wet tar.
  • Handbrake light not turning off when disengaging it. Brake pedal as soft as a wet paper towel, not really responding until I push it right, right in. Today Gav you will learn about brake fluid...

So I get it and top it up and bleed it through. Colleague spots dripping by my rear driver side wheel. Joy.

Goin into the garage tomorrow hopefully.
  • Handbrake light not turning off when disengaging it. Brake pedal as soft as a wet paper towel, not really responding until I push it right, right in. Today Gav you will learn about brake fluid...

So I get it and top it up and bleed it through. Colleague spots dripping by my rear driver side wheel. Joy.

Goin into the garage tomorrow hopefully.

Gav deffo get it a garage asap. Dont take risks with brakes. A while back with the missus and baby in the back he master cylinder went and the brake pedal got stuck to the floor on a dual carriageway. Kinda scary.

Missus car this weekend went in for a service and also needed ontop of that all 4 pads changing, two new discs for rear and two new calipers for rears. Fucking expensive. However i had a feeling the capliers had seized as it was making a horrible sound under 9/10, 10/10 breaking force. Not worth the risk.
  • Tesla domination in 5 yrs?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I don't know anything about cars, just curious.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I dont think they can meet the manufacturing demand.

Although I would argue the existence of Tesla has caused the biggest shake up in the industry for a long while. The other manufacturers developing electric cars wouldnt be as far along without Tesla.
  • Oh yeah that brake thing was £144 and the garage (that I haven't used before) told me "there's a problem with our card machine" and didn't give me a record of work, so yeah that was a nice day off. Brakes are fine now.
  • Bloody hell!
    Did they say what it was?

I'm facing £800 for front and rear brake lines and hoses plus rear bushes before my next MOT. Fortunately my guys did a fix to get it through the last MOT which is holding and MOTs now have a 12 month delay.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I suspect that Tesla still won't have a genuinely 'affordable' car for sale worldwide within five years and, as Liv says, even with their current fairly rapid expansion in China and now starting to get things moving in Europe, it is likely that they will be struggling to meet manufacturing demand unless they partner with an existing manufacturer (which they have done in the past, albeit in a fairly low key way by helping to produce that manufacturer's product, e.g. electric Smart cars for Merc, rather than vice versa). I think they are safely past any potential failing point now though and will certainly be big in 2025!
  • Isnt boris supposed to be introducing a upto £6000 discount on hybrid cars sometime in july?
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Isnt boris supposed to be introducing a upto £6000 discount on hybrid cars sometime in july?

What I heard is that it would be £6000 for scrapping an existing vehicle and replacing it with a new electric one. Whilst I decided to cancel my unused Tesla Model 3 deposit earlier in the year (which I effectively used to justify a purchase of a Valve Index...), I am becoming increasingly tempted to grab a Tesla-approved used Model S (some of which are cheaper than a new Model 3) to provide flexibility in getting around as travel opens up again, but this discount wouldn't help me given my lack of an existing vehicle and likelihood of going second-hand. I'll keep an eye on what, if anything, is announced though. Ideally, the Model Y would be available here already because that looks like being by far the best Tesla vehicle to date...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!