The Car thread
  • jdanielp wrote:
    JMW wrote:
    I have a sneaking suspicion, as I try to ‘do the right thing’ by getting a new Leaf, that it’s made it worse. But it has Apple CarPlay, so I bury those thoughts.
    How is it? I did consider a new Leaf but given that I will be doing some lengthy road trips, it made sense to have the support of the Supercharging network. Plus a Tesla is undeniably cooler...

Don’t have it yet, due on the 18th. I’m not expecting great things tbh, pretty boring drive & I don’t much like how it looks, but it’s 90% my partner who’ll be using it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    The banks that over corrected on mortgage limits and who they’ll now lend to had to find themselves a new ridiculously profitable revenue stream and that was the auto market.

Also … It’s always cheaper to take a cash loan from your bank than car finance from a car dealer. So car dealers must be offering finance to people who haven’t compared, or are already overextended or deemed too high a risk by their banks.

The other scenario is what Boris described, where you take the harsh finance deal because the dealer only gives you the car/price you want if you do so.

So, to generalise, people are either overpaying or overextended. Neither are good long term risks for the lenders. It does smack of a financial industry repeating the mistakes it made with sub-prime mortgages.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to tie the price to the finance, so as long as you can get them to confirm the price in writing you can the just offer to pay that price to the dealer without the finance package.
  • They’ll try and tell you otherwise and they’ll
    Be pissed If they’ve factored finance commission into the deal profit but it is illegal to charge different prices
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    One thing I’ve noticed going to any main dealer is any offer they make you that is outside the normal price, let’s say they offer to knock another £500 off they never write it down but will give you a pen to write it down yourself. I’m certain that’s so you can’t hold them to it.
  • That's clever.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • They are supposed to give you any finance quotes in writing under the consumer credit act
    The Forum Herald™
  • Thing is it’s the manufacturer who’ll stuck several grand in as a “deposit contribution” to a pcp deal. You can take advantage of that by paying off the pcp off immediately: no interest, double discount (dealer + manufacturer). Still paying for depreciation etc but as I said, the maths seems to support buying new (with substantial discounts) and paying off loan early to avoid interest. We’re paying about the same as 1yr ex demo (low mileage) car for a brand new one
  • If I’d managed to persuade Sylvia not to go for a sunroof it would’ve been the sane
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep finance they do but then if they say they’ll give you a deal on X like a bit of cash off etc they never write it down. I’ve had finance quote off BMW and Mercedes where I’ve the written extras on myself. I’m pretty sure it’s so you don’t go to another dealer and try to get an even better deal.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    If I’d managed to persuade Sylvia not to go for a sunroof it would’ve been the sane

Quote of the week.
  • poprock wrote:
    The banks that over corrected on mortgage limits and who they’ll now lend to had to find themselves a new ridiculously profitable revenue stream and that was the auto market.

Also … It’s always cheaper to take a cash loan from your bank than car finance from a car dealer. So car dealers must be offering finance to people who haven’t compared, or are already overextended or deemed too high a risk by their banks.

The other scenario is what Boris described, where you take the harsh finance deal because the dealer only gives you the car/price you want if you do so.

So, to generalise, people are either overpaying or overextended. Neither are good long term risks for the lenders. It does smack of a financial industry repeating the mistakes it made with sub-prime mortgages.

I read something awhile back which suggested exactly that. The car industry is built on a mountain of unsustainable debt, like the sub-prime mortgages will eventually the whole thing will collapse.

• On the subject of suspecting people over stretching, I have noticed a distinct increase in people owning more premium branded cars over the years.
    Having a Merc, BMW, Range Rover etc used to be quite the thing back in the day, seems much more common now.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'd say there are a number of factors in this. Overall, the quality of life for the middle classes has improved (I'd argue at the expense of more poverty due to austerity measures), other items have reduced in cost (household electrical for example) and those luxury marques have also extended their range to include more affordable models (A Class, 1 Series etc.) which move into your historically VW territory. 

I think people are also more astute at shopping around, online, for the right prices for things they want. So if I save over here, I can spend more on a car. And, as had been said, PCH is a cheaper way to buy a car monthly than a lot of methods. I think it will become the norm.

By no means are they in everyones reach and I'm sure some people are over stretching, but there are other factors at play.
  • Yeah some goods points there. The extended range did cross my mind, having a 1 Series myself.

I'm mostly thinking about Milton Keynes as well as it was where I grew up so the only fair place to compare. Very middle class , very car focussed and lots of commuters so it is a hugher priority.

It does worry me though. When I was a kid households had one half decent car and maybe one piece of shit. I worry when things go tits up (which there are) having two cars on finance rather than owning one outright limits options. I predict a buyers market on second hand repos next year.
  • In fact next year could be quite tough for the new car industry.
    People losing jobs, middle management under threat so less perks like company cars, people working from home and have had 6 months barely putting miles on the cars they have.
  • Extending their range of cars has definitely had an affect. You could argue to the dilution of the brands. M logos being stuck on everything other than a proper M car is one example.

On a slightly different note, reliability or lack there of, on modern cars is annoying and has to be a factor of cost cutting and purposely built in. The more tech that gets thrown in the less reliable the cars become and more expensive they become to fix.

Also BHP is having an affect on some cars. For example the AMG A45S, is a 2L 4 pot that will produce over 400bhp. From a car that is probably a hyperhatch rather than a hothatch. Those two turbos in that car will be overworked as will the engine. Its mounted sideways and needs additional cooling. That car in 5+ years time will be a moneypit to fix and keep running.

The M340i from BMW is a lovely car, however the engine is mounted back to front so the VANOS (timing chain) is close to the driver rather than the front bumper. Thats a full removal of the engine to change that timing chain. That will cost £££ when it does need replacing. Also BMW using so many plastic parts (to keep cost down) doesnt help with longevity of the cars.

Its telling that Toyota have such a strong reputation for reliably and the other Japanese/South Korea brands arent too far behind. Toyota testing of parts is a legendary. 300,000-400,000 miles for a particular model to ensure its reliability. Thats why they are alittle behind the germans when it comes to tech in the cars as they place reliability over the latest and greatest gadegts.

The toyota Supra which shares alot of parts with the Z4 was massively delayed because the BMW parts kept failing Toyota reliability benchmarks. To the point that toyota had to manufacture some of them themselves to get the car out of the door.

I think if i was buying a car be it PCP/PCH/New Used, i would stick to Toyota, Mazda, Lexus, Honda,Kia and Hyundai. Now hand on heart I'd love a Audi S4 Avant or a BMW series but the reliability and options cost is painful. On the later, i love how much far east companies throw into their car pacakages, whereas with the germans and whatnot every bloody thing is an optional extra that you have to pay through the nose through.

Anyway im ranting, in a nutshell, nowadays there is no excise not to build reliable cars, unless its done on purpose for the financial models of these car companies.
  • On the VW MQB/MEB/ god knows how many of these things VW have platforms to keep costs down and standardise production. But i do like them.
  • Shouldn’t really laugh at the misfortune of others, but this cracked me up on Twitter today.

pFI4gTi.png
  • Nissan make some of the ugliest cars on the planet, so imagine my surprise to see them showing this today:

03-thumbnail.jpg.ximg.s_12_h.smart.jpg

It’s their new Z concept. And they’ve nailed it, haven’t they? Quite a looker.

Question is whether they’ve got the balls to put it into production.
  • Is it still going to have the utterly shite 3rd party gearbox they have been putting in their cars recently?
  • It might be just the yellow but it looks a lot like that fancy Toyota.
  • I’m a big fan of the original ’60s Z. This takes enough basic cues from it to be interesting. Proper coupé dimensions - long bonnet, raked windscreen, smoothly curved roofline, wheels fairly close to the corners, etc. It adds nice muscular arches and the currently fashionable pinched waist look along the sills.

Downsides are definitely the gopping big modern grille, and maybe the fact that the big modern wheels make it look a bit GTR.
  • Actually ended up watching the livestream of that cars reveal on YouTube late last night.

I really like it.
  • Also really like how it's a new car being shown that's primarily a petrol 6-speed manual. Doesn't happen often these days I don't think.

Yes I'm inexperienced and can count the number of car models I've driven in one hand but my first car is a petrol manual and I love it and I want nothing else in my future.
  • Yes I'm inexperienced and can count the number of car models I've driven in one hand but my first car is a petrol manual and I love it and I want nothing else in my future.

This is the way.
  • Looks like an f type so they’ve basically copied the Uk. Which to be fair when Japanese designers are at there best.

Basically it’s the new 370z so I’d imagine no balls required
    The Forum Herald™
  • I think the current Z is a bit of a fat bloater. This is probably even bigger but is at least styled to disguise it.
  • Possibly the 350z was razor sharp in its day but ruined by its renault parts bin origins
    The Forum Herald™
  • I was watching a show from 2005 and the car had a start button. It was weird seeing that next to a tape player.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!