Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    In other news, dibs on Grass Cat. Captain Smug Bird was tempting too.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl wrote:

Also, what makes this generation 9, and Arceus gen 8, when they're mechanically so similar? Surely Arceus is gen 9 then, too? I dunno. Pokemon move in mysterious ways.

There are a couple of things - arceus is a side story. In terms of battling it breaks a lot from the normal Pokémon games.

The open world was hinted at in Lets go and Sword but to a limited extent. Each Pokémon now feels like a beta for the next one.

The main differences they’ll add here are definitely new pokemon and be partially designed for Pokémon tournaments. (Arceus has no MP battling I think)

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Historically it was the introduction of new Pokémon that seemed to define a generation but recently they've started to introduce Pokémon between generations, like the Mythical Pokémon they distributed with Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee and the new Pokémon in Arceus. There was quite a big debate at the time about whether the Let's Go Pokémon would end up being part of the Gen VII tranche of Pokémon or the Gen VIII tranche. I would imagine the Arceus Pokémon have the data structure of Gen VIII Pokémon.

It seems like now the main thing is that it's the next iteration of the core competitive Pokémon gameplay (but there's still also a huge tranche of new Pokémon that none of the 'minor' mainline games have had yet).
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Each Pokémon now feels like a beta for the next one.

Definitely true for Arceus. I guess it’s why it’s the first game released without a counterpart: they're just making sure that the open(ish) world stuff works before committing to a “proper” release. I guess if Arceus had been panned Scarlet/Violet would have been quietly cancelled.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I don’t think there was a chance the open world would have failed with Arceus because it’s proto version (the wild area in sword) was well received and sword’s protoversion (the in world Pokémon of Lets go) was also well regarded. They’re iterating all the time.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I don't really think they left themselves enough time to change tack with Scarlet and Violet - the merchandising and multi-media stuff will already be in place by now. I wouldn't be surprised if they focus tested this stuff up to the eyeballs anyway.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I don't really think they left themselves enough time to change tack with Scarlet and Violet - the merchandising and multi-media stuff will already be in place by now. I wouldn't be surprised if they focus tested this stuff up to the eyeballs anyway.

Aye. Pokémon is the assassins creed of RPGs and will come out on a regular basis no matter what. They can change but it usually takes a couple of releases for anything to really sink in.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Pokémon is the assassins creed of RPGs

Ouch. Makes me not want to play S/V. ;)
  • Level 45 in Go now :)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The more I play post-credits Arceus the more fun I have. Spent this evening using an actual god to beat up wild pigs. Ah, Pokeymans.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    New Scarlett/Violet trailer.

The human characters, especially the player, are verging on uncanny valley, but the game itself looks the part.
  • Yep, I'll have some of that
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I personally don't give a fuck about Pokemon, but apparently, there's an official popup store launching this week, if anyone's into that:
    https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/pokemon-center-london-pop-up-store-map-reveals-new-products/
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I booked a slot to take the kids tomorrow, who are obviously very excited.

Just read that there are queues lasting hours and it doesn’t matter if you booked a slot or not, there’s just a big queue… I mean we can’t not take them but fuck sake, hours queuing with a 7 and a 5 year old?! I’m thinking my wife will take the kids away somewhere and I’ll just hold in line for a while. Will take my new Anbernic RG351P I think.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I don't understand why they don't set up a permanent one given people go apeshit whenever they do a pop-up one over here. There's a Pokémon Centre online store for the UK now so it's not like ye olden days when they just didn't sell this stuff to us.
  • Got there an hour before our slot, no queue and they just let us straight in. Very nice! Although the kids must have spent about £150 between them on plushies… I got myself a small ditto cos ditto rocks.

They are having an absolute blast so all worth it. Am guessing train strikes means everyone came yesterday and no one today.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Good stuff! Sounds like a good job you booked today and not yesterday!
  • Pokémon go worlds this week
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Pokemon Scarlet/Violet special edition Switch OLED.

• Anyone on the new games?
  • Got Scarlet, haven't played it much really it was a Christmas present for my son. Think Wookie had Violet?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I've seen a ton of people on my friends list rocking Violet/Scarlet, so some of you must have taken the plunge.
  • My lad has Scarlet but hasn't touched it much. I'm tempted to jump in and get myself a copy...
  • We have Violet. It's great :)
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I do look at it while playing and think... If you just spent more budget on graphics, some quality of life improvements, bit better writing... You'd probably make the biggest game ever.
  • It's definitely janky, the graphics have potential but the engine can't cope. Artistically it has some very pretty moments but it's ruined by running at single digit frame rates when placed anywhere beyond the immediate close range.

It still plays a great game of pokemans though
  • Also, no voice acting at all! Feels like it's crying out for a more powerful system
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Also, no voice acting at all! Feels like it's crying out for a more powerful system
    It really is. I love my switch but it's definitely falling way behind in terms of power and ability now
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3 had really good image quality and stable performance, if a softer image than you'd expect from, say, PS4.

The problem with Scarlet and Violet is that GameFreak are incompetent and complacent, frankly.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    The problem with Scarlet and Violet is that GameFreak are incompetent and complacent, frankly.

I think a lot of it also comes down to a brutal release schedule. There’s a new Pokémon pretty much every year. Each one always feels like a beta test for the next.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!