regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You know you can do that with any star wars film, right.
  • It's like poetry. 

It's shit.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    You know you can do that with any star wars film, right.
    I'd imagine you can abstract the details away from most films to get to some broad place where you can say they're similar. Especially with the hero's journey template. Hero encounters problem, hero solves problem. End. 

I don't think you need to work very hard comparing ANH with TFA though. Then ESB and TLJ are slightly further apart and rejigged a bit. Then RotJ and tRoS are completely different apart from the final battle which is identical.
  • monkey wrote:
    Empire Strikes Back - Rebels defending base from Empire on ice planet, Empire then chases rebels around, Jedi training sequences, diversion into exotic mining city, betrayal, light saber fight. End.  The Last Jedi - Space fight, Empire then chases rebels around, Jedi training sequences, diversion into exotic gambling city, Return of the Jedi throne room complete with Sith apprentice killing master to save life of young Jedi, betrayal, Rebels defend base from Empire on salt planet, light saber fight. End.

Let's go deeper than that. Hot headed young hero seeks jedi master on remote planet. disappointed to find a grumpy old weirdo, who isn't the great warrior hero they were hoping for "war not make one great, hmm?". master initially refuses to train but is convinced. young hero faces a 'dark cave' and gets a vision that hints at their lineage. young hero leaves to face dark helmet before completing training in order to save their friends. jedi master never leaves planet, despite previous episodes showing they were previously a mighty warrior.
    And well, if you want to pretend that the Crait/Krait(?) battle isn't almost exactly the same as Hoth well...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    No one will prob every really know just how much JJ and RJ were 'obliged' to hit certain notes and objectives within their films. Even if they did have 100% complete freedom then it's still a complete failing on the executives part that they didn't manage the whole project.

We do know JJ was obliged to put the return of Palpatine in there.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Palps returning was a poor concept but really saved the movie for me. It was a lost cause anyway so may as well have McDiarmid hamming it up.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It just needed to be less. Star killer Base I get it. It’s a step up from the Death Star but with some power delivery limitations.

I also get that they could then have made more of the tech. And add it to star destroyers. But did we really need there to be hundreds of them for it to be a threat?
  • Dunno if this has been posted before. An autopsy of the throne room fight from Last Jedi. Basically how rubbish it is and taking the piss. I’m about 20 minutes in and enjoying it. 

I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I liked it. The curtains burned. LEAVE IT ALONE.
  • That analysis has been done a ton of times over in the years since the movie.

Most fight scenes in movies have a bunch of dudes hanging around doing nothing. All but the absolute best will feature this and certainly anything where the protagonist is out numbered heavily. The best scenes hide it well through editing.

If you are into this though definitely check out Corridor Channel's "Stunt men react" videos on youtube.

Edit: that video is an hour long? Why? I'm not watching a fucking hour of that.
    Then it appears to be narrated by some Hoorah Henry. Jesus christ.
  • Watch this instead.
  • I'm watching this Disney+ doc on Mando.
    Now first off everything Disney+ is puff piece, that has to be a given.

What this doc screams though is that they had a group of directors, headed up by a master director in Favreau and that they all had a passion for Star Wars.

That is the complete opposite to the scenario around the latest trilogy.

A passionate colaberative team has always delivered the best of Star Wars on and off screen.
  • monkey wrote:

The new trilogy only had TFA that did what it was supposed to. TLJ then sliced off all those plot strands. Not only that but it did without any care for anyone that was interested in seeing how they developed. It was insulting really. And it set up nothing. This weapons dealer stuff was nothing. There’s no plot there. Nothing to take forward. The big bad was killed off, leaving a highly defeatable second in command behind him.

Now it’s not impossible to make a decent one-off Star Wars film from that position. What is very fucking hard, imo, is to make a satisfactory end to a trilogy. Going into TLJ I was genuinely interested in where they’d take the story. With tRoS, I had no interest in the story going into it. Because there was no story left to tell.
    Totally agree with this.

Also, this shit about the arms dealers. It's been established in Rogue One and the TV show Rebels that the empire was designing and manufacturing it's own weapons anyway. Completely pointless direction IMO. Exchanging one baddie for another. Oooh the real enemy was capitalism all along, not the megalomaniacal emperor that wanted total domination by any means necessary. FFS.

And I quite like the Jedi tbh. There can be plenty of scope for grey with Jedi and Sith.
    My biggest problem with TLJ is that it stripped out ideas and plots but added nothing of interest in place. Nothing at all. The main plot of the movie itself was rubbish. The space chase was so badly thought out. It made zero sense. Gaaaaahhh I hate that movie.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • monkey wrote:
    The new trilogy only had TFA that did what it was supposed to. TLJ then sliced off all those plot strands. Not only that but it did without any care for anyone that was interested in seeing how they developed. It was insulting really. And it set up nothing. This weapons dealer stuff was nothing. There’s no plot there. Nothing to take forward. The big bad was killed off, leaving a highly defeatable second in command behind him. Now it’s not impossible to make a decent one-off Star Wars film from that position. What is very fucking hard, imo, is to make a satisfactory end to a trilogy. Going into TLJ I was genuinely interested in where they’d take the story. With tRoS, I had no interest in the story going into it. Because there was no story left to tell.
    Totally agree with this. Also, this shit about the arms dealers. It's been established in Rogue One and the TV show Rebels that the empire was designing and manufacturing it's own weapons anyway. Completely pointless direction IMO. Exchanging one baddie for another. Oooh the real enemy was capitalism all along, not the megalomaniacal emperor that wanted total domination by any means necessary. FFS. And I quite like the Jedi tbh. There can be plenty of scope for grey with Jedi and Sith. My biggest problem with TLJ is that it stripped out ideas and plots but added nothing of interest in place. Nothing at all. The main plot of the movie itself was rubbish. The space chase was so badly thought out. It made zero sense. Gaaaaahhh I hate that movie.

I was going to offer a rebuttal to this but ah fuck it, why bother? I'm no star wars fan so its a fair comment that TLJ failed in pleasing the fan base who wanted Jedi and the emperor. Personally, I don't see the appeal, I think its not only been done by star wars but also by a huge amount of similar movies. 

I do agree that the space chase wasn't really well thought out. So lets agree on that.
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I've to Rise of Skywalker on while doing work and I have to admit, it's the perfect lockdown background movie. I'm not following it, but every time I look up from laptop something is happening. Probably the best way to watch it :-)
  • Mr RedDave, offer a rebuttal. Why not?
    I'm always willing to listen to other POVs.
    But personally, I'm not clamouring for solely Jedi v Empire stuff at all. My point is that Rian did not offer an alternative. He simply tore away what he didnt like and then handed the baton for the third movie over to someone else. 
    If Rian didn't want the usual Star Wars tropes, then, by all means, make a compelling alternative. Show the audience a new interesting direction rather than pissing all over the existing narrative.

For me the arms dealers are typical of rians approach to TLJ.
    He wanted arms dealers and so crowbarred it in without thought for what had gone before.
    Like I mentioned it was already established that the empire designed and manufactured their own weapons/craft. Not just that, but if the arms dealers were selling tie fighters for example, why only empire use them? Why not have the rebels using star destroyers? Or gold squadron flying ties? Seems pretty clear that the design of the star destroyers came from the Republic venator class ships from the prequels which were exclusively used by the Republic AFAIK.
    Also I can't imagine old Palps begging the dealers for a line of credit or cadging money from backers to pay off new ships :)
    To me it's lore breaking stuff just for the sake of Rian because he wanted it.look at the Jedi sith stuff. He didn't like it and thought there could room for grey.so what does he do? He kills them all off. Rather than offer an interesting alternative. At the end Rey is still good and kylo is still evil.

Now all that might sound like fanboy bleating, but it really isn't. Its stuff that makes no sense to me and seems to be there just to serve Rian Johnston.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The rebel and resistance fighters have presumably always been generic fighters that just happened to be used by those particular groups with them not appearing on camera in other contexts to avoid confusing the audience rather than for in-universe reasons. Wookiepedia says the First Order TIEs were made by a Sith-leaning off-shoot of the manufacturer from the OT so it is indeed a bit weird that some kind of intermediary is involved. Perhaps they just provided the lasers for the fighters or something.

Apparently there have always been plot holes of this nature with the old Expanded Universe struggling to avoid it appearing like the rebellion had a bunch of X-wings built right under the Emperor's nose.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    The rebel and resistance fighters have presumably always been generic fighters that just happened to be used by those particular groups with them not appearing on camera in other contexts to avoid confusing the audience rather than for in-universe reasons. Wookiepedia says the First Order TIEs were made by a Sith-leaning off-shoot of the manufacturer from the OT so it is indeed a bit weird that some kind of intermediary is involved. Perhaps they just provided the lasers for the fighters or something.

Apparently there have always been plot holes of this nature with the old Expanded Universe struggling to avoid it appearing like the rebellion had a bunch of X-wings built right under the Emperor's nose.
    See, this is why i think this is the wrong tree for Rian to bark up in the middle movie of the last Skywalker trilogy.
    The central plot of the movie was very weak and incredibly clumsy and so there is nothing to distract from these minor details, if anything they are amplified.

Im grumpy with work and taking it out on TLJ and Rian Johnston's stupid head.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I can imagine them wanting to show that there are people working in the supply chain for both sides, trying to convey that quickly and visually and making a bit of a mess that doesn't make sense.
  • It's such a powerful and important theme though, that section of the film really made me ask myself..."who is the real bad guy here?".

Then I immediately answered myself "the empire/first order, they're the bad guys. it's well established. it's very clear in this type of film. this whole section of the film feels tacked on to try to be clever or insightful or summat, but just feels insulting and stupid, and reminds me of the prequels."
  • Mr RedDave, offer a rebuttal. Why not? I'm always willing to listen to other POVs. But personally, I'm not clamouring for solely Jedi v Empire stuff at all. My point is that Rian did not offer an alternative. He simply tore away what he didnt like and then handed the baton for the third movie over to someone else.  If Rian didn't want the usual Star Wars tropes, then, by all means, make a compelling alternative. Show the audience a new interesting direction rather than pissing all over the existing narrative. For me the arms dealers are typical of rians approach to TLJ. He wanted arms dealers and so crowbarred it in without thought for what had gone before. Like I mentioned it was already established that the empire designed and manufactured their own weapons/craft. Not just that, but if the arms dealers were selling tie fighters for example, why only empire use them? Why not have the rebels using star destroyers? Or gold squadron flying ties? Seems pretty clear that the design of the star destroyers came from the Republic venator class ships from the prequels which were exclusively used by the Republic AFAIK. Also I can't imagine old Palps begging the dealers for a line of credit or cadging money from backers to pay off new ships :) To me it's lore breaking stuff just for the sake of Rian because he wanted it.look at the Jedi sith stuff. He didn't like it and thought there could room for grey.so what does he do? He kills them all off. Rather than offer an interesting alternative. At the end Rey is still good and kylo is still evil. Now all that might sound like fanboy bleating, but it really isn't. Its stuff that makes no sense to me and seems to be there just to serve Rian Johnston.

I think part of the problem is you can be too tied to the lore and what happened before. I just don't think that the Star Wars universe is that strongly put together in terms of being inflexible to a new approach or a new take despite what went before. The thing is, Star Wars isn't a universe with one super strong author pulling it all together, like Martin with the Game of Thrones books. Its a mish mash of different writers over the years. Lucas steered it, but much of the world building has been done ad-hoc. Nothing wrong with that, but it means that at times certain approaches will come along that dont uphold all the lore in favour of trying to tell a new story or take a new approach. 

But aside from that, I think the arguments of what Rian left are frankly bullshit. Lets accept that Last Jedi is both a bad film and a bad star wars film. The idea that you could not make a good film out of the threads left (or that there are none) just doesnt hold water. You might not like where he left the plot but it's hardly dead end. I mean people were able to write books, games and movies following on from Return of the Jedi even though that has the biggest dead end of the lot. 

The biggest problem with the whole 7-9 trilogy i that it clearly isn't a trilogy. The fault for this isn't JJ who did a good rebirth movie in the force awakens, and shat the bed with the rise, and it isn't Rian who tried too hard to make changes that people didnt want. It's the idiots who from the start knew they were making a trilogy, that it needed to both tell an overarching narrative and that it needed to continue the story that the fans had fallen in love with. 

I like Last Jedi but if Rian Johnson pitched that he wanted to shake things up he should have been given a stand alone to lay the ground work and to see if it worked or the very lest, given the next trilogy. Someone should have been in charge of making sure that the key ground work to the 3 movies was laid out. Main character is Rey, She starts here, she needs to get to here by the end. 

The worst bit is that we should have gotten 3 great movies. The basics are there - they had fan interest, they had lots of ground work from previous movies and books to pull from if they needed to. The special effects are excellent and they obviously would have full financial backing . They also put together a really good cast who were great in FA, but then spoiled in the other 2 movies ( I might defend last Jedi as a movie but It made a mistaking splitting the cast up, especially Finn and Poe)
    SFV - reddave360
  • I can't argue with much of that Dave really. Disney ultimately take the blame.
    And the really disappointing thing is so many of the right ingredients were clearly in place. Just needed a few more months of prep to actually put together and write the full story as a cohesive trilogy.
  • @RedDave2 I agree with pretty much all of that.

But look yes, someone could have taken up the reigns after TLJ and gone onto great things. But in the context of TLJ being the middle movie of the final trilogy it was a dick move on Johnson's part IMO. I honestly don't think he left enough scope for someone to come in and tie TFA and TLJ up in a nice bow and finish off with the perfect end. Rise was always going to be a giant (enjoyable though it turned out) mess. 

The true badguys here are the Disney overlords. Star Wars needed a Kevin Feige style character to steer the ship and have an overarching story in place. That they didn't is incredible.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Found my complete Star Wars Tazo set from Walkers crisps while clearing room and thought I'd post the quiz at the back as a Friday quiz for you.

Answers at noon.

Ke85ucd.jpg
  • I like how questions 18 and 30 are basically the same question.
  • I also still have my full set of Star Wars Tazos somewhere.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    18 and 30 are the most important characters in the trilogy
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The true badguys here are the Disney overlords. Star Wars needed a Kevin Feige style character to steer the ship and have an overarching story in place. That they didn't is incredible.

Just picking up on this.

I’m guessing after the success of Mandalorian that Favreau would be in the running for this. It’s where I’d put my money. With Filoni as one of his key directors. They are already using Waititi for some films so hopefully that oversight from Favreau will be there. Watching the Disney Gallery show about Mando it’s clear there’s a passion and vision from those involved. It’s not about the ego of someone like Johnson at the helm.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    ANSWERS

25bX5Rc.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!